What to look out for when purchasing a new camera?(DSLR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coughybean

Mar 16, 2006
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi Guys and Girls!

I am a beginner trying to pick up photography using DSLR. Any pointers for me as in, what do I look out for when purchasing a DSLR? btw.. i am considering Canon 350D kit. I am offered 1799 for the body + kit, a battery grip, and a camera bag PLUS the 1 GB and lens book that canon is giving. Is it a good deal? or shld i wait for IT show to get a better deal? ahah.. :embrass:

Amongst all else, try to get some one knowledgeable to tag along in your purchase.

I'll leave it to the rest of the more experienced members to add on.

In any case, enjoy!

maybe you can find fren that own a DSLR and try out? I did went to try out my fren's D70 before buying my first camera. I think the feel is very important! but, jus wat i feel lah!

IT show price is nothing fantastic, except more gifts....
most importantly, dun decide on anyone model until you have handled the camera... you must like the feel.... cause you really can't go much wrong with either canon or nikon...

Welcome to the canon family!!!!!!!!
Actually, it will really depend on what the camera bag is. If it is a quality bag, than it might be worth it. It might be better to checkout how much individual items cost from other shops than decide if the deal is actually worth it. Do remember not to include the cost of the 1GB card into the cost of purchase.

Hi!

Thanks to all who replied to my postings. I've actually gone down to the shop to get a feel of it. So far, AP offered the best price. It is abt 50 buckaroos cheaper than CP. For EOS 350D body + kit and a battery grip. Nothing else. I am not sure if they are still giving me the 1GB + free lens books which i am SUPPOSED to have.

Haha.. and now I am worrying that I am not creative enough to make full use of a DSLR! Like not able to take nice pics... followed by getting demoralised ... waste money eh? haha .. am i thinking too much? I like photography.. thats for sure. =)

erictan8888 said:
IT show price is nothing fantastic, except more gifts....
most importantly, dun decide on anyone model until you have handled the camera... you must like the feel.... cause you really can't go much wrong with either canon or nikon...

Totally agree with u ......:thumbsup:

coughybean said:
Hi!

Thanks to all who replied to my postings. I've actually gone down to the shop to get a feel of it. So far, AP offered the best price. It is abt 50 buckaroos cheaper than CP. For EOS 350D body + kit and a battery grip. Nothing else. I am not sure if they are still giving me the 1GB + free lens books which i am SUPPOSED to have.

Haha.. and now I am worrying that I am not creative enough to make full use of a DSLR! Like not able to take nice pics... followed by getting demoralised ... waste money eh? haha .. am i thinking too much? I like photography.. thats for sure. =)

i suggest you go to bought a DSLR Camera c/w kit lense 1st.... then try it snap shoot around and see can get the quality u expected or not ... If can not, u can try to Pick up some basic course which has organized by SLCC, PSS or Safra Club.... around $200, although some people wil said no ned took course u can do it urself .... but if u go to take course then i sure u wil find it it was really worth for the money and wont regret. better dont buy too expensive Camara body...coz the Camara body only can stand around 2 years + (normally) only ... only the lense can stand long .... then u ned to find out wat is ur preference for example .... close up , landscape, Potrait or else... when u has decide then u go for the lense ... if not most of the time u wil find out u pay for nothing....

Agreed.. Very true Hugo, I am thinking of taking up a basic photography course soon too..

hugoleong said:
i suggest you go to bought a DSLR Camera c/w kit lense 1st.... then try it snap shoot around and see can get the quality u expected or not ... If can not, u can try to Pick up some basic course which has organized by SLCC, PSS or Safra Club.... around $200, although some people wil said no ned took course u can do it urself .... but if u go to take course then i sure u wil find it it was really worth for the money and wont regret. better dont buy too expensive Camara body...coz the Camara body only can stand around 2 years + (normally) only ... only the lense can stand long .... then u ned to find out wat is ur preference for example .... close up , landscape, Potrait or else... when u has decide then u go for the lense ... if not most of the time u wil find out u pay for nothing....

hugoleong said:

Hmm .. oh okie! I was intending to get the battery grip and body + kit first.. but what i think is that, with a kit lens, u can do nothing much. If u want a nice shot, you will have to get very near the object cause it is not a tele lens or what. So I am afraid that I am not able to get the effect that i wan and thus gets demoralised....

Anyway Thanks for the reply !!! =)
:thumbsup:

coughybean said:
Hmm .. oh okie! I was intending to get the battery grip and body + kit first.. but what i think is that, with a kit lens, u can do nothing much. If u want a nice shot, you will have to get very near the object cause it is not a tele lens or what. So I am afraid that I am not able to get the effect that i wan and thus gets demoralised....

christ! We are spoiled aren't we. Kit lens tele not long enough, wide angle not wide enough ... what next? A lot of us shot with a 50mm for a long long time before we bought our first tele or zoom.

OP, if you can get demoralised so easily, a word of advise, don't post any picture here, you will be thoroughtly demoralised from all the criticism ...

THE KIT LENS IS PERFECTLY FINE.

coughybean said:

Kit lens is perfectly fine for events and street shooting.
When converted to 1.6x..its 28.8-90?mm...
You want really wide, go for the 10-22..
Tele, go for the 70-300IS.
The kit lens will fill the in between gap.
A nice shot dosent mean getting close to the object hor:nono:
Also plan to get an external flash...or you will start complaining about not having enough shutter speed to do handheld..and that you wont want a tripod in super low light.

Basiclly its a money trap. I fell in this just by buying a film SLR body. :p

Serioulsy you shloud play around with the kit lens first so you know what kind of shots you want to take then chose one speciality lens from there.

JediForce4ever said:
Kit lens is perfectly fine for events and street shooting.
When converted to 1.6x..its 28.8-90?mm...
You want really wide, go for the 10-22..
Tele, go for the 70-300IS.
The kit lens will fill the in between gap.
A nice shot dosent mean getting close to the object hor:nono:
Also plan to get an external flash...or you will start complaining about not having enough shutter speed to do handheld..and that you wont want a tripod in super low light.

Sorry ah .. I am really very new and FRESH! ahhaa ..
having an external flash means it will "increase" the shutter speed? more light hits the sensor?

raptor84 said:
Basiclly its a money trap. I fell in this just by buying a film SLR body. :p

Serioulsy you shloud play around with the kit lens first so you know what kind of shots you want to take then chose one speciality lens from there.

haha .. yah that is my intention though. Read through the forums .. thats what the pros and those who had gone through suggested.

But I am getting the battery grip as well cos i tink its relatively cheap .. only 100+ ... or am I being a carrot? ahaha ...

:sweatsm:

Deadpoet said:
christ! We are spoiled aren't we. Kit lens tele not long enough, wide angle not wide enough ... what next? A lot of us shot with a 50mm for a long long time before we bought our first tele or zoom.

OP, if you can get demoralised so easily, a word of advise, don't post any picture here, you will be thoroughtly demoralised from all the criticism ...

THE KIT LENS IS PERFECTLY FINE.

Haha !! Thanks !! I wont think i will post any pictures for a start .. like what I saw in the critique corner... some are being critically critique-ed ... and with your "THE KIT LENS IS PERFECTLY FINE" .... somehow it assured me. ahaha .. so it goes down to .. the skill and creativity of the handler... =) Thanks !:thumbsup:

coughybean said:
Hi Guys and Girls!

I am a beginner trying to pick up photography using DSLR. Any pointers for me as in, what do I look out for when purchasing a DSLR? btw.. i am considering Canon 350D kit. I am offered 1799 for the body + kit, a battery grip, and a camera bag PLUS the 1 GB and lens book that canon is giving. Is it a good deal? or shld i wait for IT show to get a better deal? ahah.. :embrass:

i know kit alone, can get for as low as around 1500...

one other alternative, is to buy body and get 2nd hand kit lens for about $60 bucks..

shop around a bit more to make sure u get a good price.. also, buy from one of those companies that allow you to return in 7 days if anything goes wrong . eg ms color.

personally, i would prefer to just get a basic kit or a kit/lens. then shop around for the best deals for the others..

Status
Not open for further replies.