What to Look Out for when buying a new camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

portege

Dec 15, 2008
I am in the process of buying a new camera (5DII) and lenses. Appreciate if anyone can advise what are the things (i mean quality aspect) to look out for when purchasing such items? What are the tests that i can perform with the camera and lenses before i parted with my hard earn $$. I just want to be sure that i am not getting a lemon.

Thanks heap.

What I will do to check for dead pix. I will set the camera to a high resolution, take a few shot with lens cap on. View zoom in and scroll row by roll to and check.

Maybe you want to bring a laptop along to check the actual shutter count.... to verify that it is a new camera and not a "return" or display set from the store... :)

Maybe you want to bring a laptop along to check the actual shutter count.... to verify that it is a new camera and not a "return" or display set from the store... :)

how you check this? What software can do this?

What about this here?

http://astrojargon.net/40dshuttercount.aspx

Have not tried it on my 50D yet and damn I don't have a working dvdrom drive.. I cant install EOS Utility! and the canon website I download from, when I want to install time, they also ask for the cd..

What I will do to check for dead pix. I will set the camera to a high resolution, take a few shot with lens cap on. View zoom in and scroll row by roll to and check.

My LCD Screen has 1 dead pixel and within 7 days of purchase...is it possible or anyone has tried to go down and change 1-1?

My LCD Screen has 1 dead pixel and within 7 days of purchase...is it possible or anyone has tried to go down and change 1-1?

Do go down and demand a 1to1 exchange.

Do go down and demand a 1to1 exchange.

Ok I will go down tomorrow and ask for an exchange. I bought from Alan Photo, Sim Lim Square 17-85mm kit. They did told me anything problem just come after purchase and hopefully can exchange successfully.

A question though, is there any chance to change kit to 18-200 as long I have kept it new coz I realise it would have been better if I had went with the 18-200 kit for casual holiday purposes, given the extra focal length.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.