what to look out for if i am shopping around for second hand 16-35mm F4 nikon lens?

song

Feb 23, 2002
homex.coolconnect.com
Hi all, can advise how to select the better batch or what problem to look out for ?

thanks
song

Check the VR as one of the strenghts of the 16-35 f/4 is the VR.

It might a little hard to check it the hand held way so u can try the "table method"

Always bring your own body to test out the lens and inspect the lens under good light before closing the deal.

Have fun and good luck

Where to check the prices?

conduct a search on the item you want in BnS, get a hang of the price range. walk around the peninsular shopping mall area, check the 2nd hand shops on their offerings. Then you have an idea of where to buy it cheapest. Then check the functionality of the equipment. If everything good, deal.

Brand new from shops in singapore is about SGD 1,800.

If you know where to find, you can get a new one for about SGD 1,500 with Nikon international warranty.

Second hand was published for sales ranging from 1,300 to 1,500. Do a search.
Condition, terms of sales, warranty and such vary from seller to seller.

Check the VR as one of the strenghts of the 16-35 f/4 is the VR.

It might a little hard to check it the hand held way so u can try the "table method"

Always bring your own body to test out the lens and inspect the lens under good light before closing the deal.

Have fun and good luck

What is the "Table Method" BTW?

Turn on the VR, place it on the table and take a shot. Due to the VR, the shot will have induced camera shake.

Off the VR and take the same shot for reference.

Nikon USA's recommendation is still the hand held method but they also said the "Table method" works as well.

Turn on the VR, place it on the table and take a shot. Due to the VR, the shot will have induced camera shake.

Off the VR and take the same shot for reference.

Nikon USA's recommendation is still the hand held method but they also said the "Table method" works as well.

Actually, this will not work any more.

With the newer lenses, the VR is smart enough to deduce if it is mounted on a tripod (on a stable surface).

Actually, this will not work any more.

With the newer lenses, the VR is smart enough to deduce if it is mounted on a tripod (on a stable surface).

Not the 16-35 VR at least ;p

The one I bought new recently shows the effect on VR when placed on a table top.

Not the 16-35 VR at least ;p

The one I bought new recently shows the effect on VR when placed on a table top.

I shot once on a tripod forgetting to turn VR off.. pics came out ok.

I shot once on a tripod forgetting to turn VR off.. pics came out ok.

Hmm I was doing at test at the shop at f/9, low ISO and slow shutter on the display table, forgot to turn VR off and pic shows some sign of VR effect.. :think:

Hmm I was doing at test at the shop at f/9, low ISO and slow shutter on the display table, forgot to turn VR off and pic shows some sign of VR effect.. :think:

I guess this is where people say "individual experience may vary"...

but that proves one thing.. .that the table method doesn't really work anymore, when testing the VR.

I guess this is where people say "individual experience may vary"...

but that proves one thing.. .that the table method doesn't really work anymore, when testing the VR.

Yeah, best is to use a 50mm focal length (FX) and 1/4 or 1/6 shutter speed to test the VR.