What to Look Out For: Golf Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobotto

Aug 27, 2003
www.pbase.com
Hi guys,

I will be volunteering to take photos for a charity Golf Competition.
In fact VIP Minister for National Development, Mr Mah Bow Tan would be there.

Have never done Golf competitions before.
Any tips on what to look out for?

Thanks in advance guys!
:lovegrin:

- Bob

Most importantly, is it a game between amateurs or professionals? Amateurs are easy as they aren't that fussy about photography, noise, etc etc.

Professionals are the anal lot. You may get a tongue lashing from them if your loud shutter distract them. Bring long lenses, find cover and shoot. :)

Some tips, feel free to chime in if I've missed out anything.
  • Find out the order of play and who are the important folks who need their shots taken
  • Playing on more than 1 course? Would help if you can get a Course Marshall to drive you around in a cart to get to the different holes.
  • Have a variety of shots... teeing off, on the green, putting, golfers chilling out at the midway stop etc...
  • Be prepared for wet weather, better have some protection for your equipment
  • Bring a long lens, I like shooting with a 100-400 which covers most situations in a golf shoot. You usually don't get too close to the golfers.
  • Bring sunblock, cap and sunglasses. And a big water bottle.

Here are some other angles you can consider apart from the usual swings...

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

+evenstar said:
Do read up on some golf books and get your tips from there, and comments from others as well...:)

He's not wanting to learn to play golf, but to take pics at a tournament.

+evenstar said:
Yes, i know that. Golf books include pictures of golf players in actions, no?

Sure, perhaps you could've been clearer with your suggestion... we're not mind readers here. And I would think golf magazines would have been a better example as those contain more imagery, no?

Thanks for the Lighting FAST response guys.
Really appreciate your generous tips.

I'm sure any misunderstanding in posts were not by intention too. :sweat:

It is for a public golf competition. ie amatuer players.
As suggested, I would definately collect my Sample Box of pictures as a guide.

I notice most photos are from the back view
medium.jpg

Is it Rude for me to be on the other side so that I can get the player's expression when they execute the shot?
And as a result, I would be in their line of view?

gd200509_lgcover.jpg

Also, what /f stop and focal lengths do you think are needed to achieve the 2 shots below?

----------1------------
47542253.jpg

----------2------------
47542282.jpg

Terence>> You seem to have expereince in shooting Golf tournaments.
How close do you think we official photog can get to the players without making them uncomfortable?

- Bob

On the greens, you can usually get fairly close. I'd recommend you keep a distance when teeing off. It's not just distracting for the golfer but damn dangerous as well. I'd stand in the out of bounds area at an angle to the tee off point (sorry, my golf terminology not up to scratch).

400mm should do the trick and if you can find an extender, that'd be great. You'd be operating around f/8-11 anyways if the day is reasonably sunny or even cloudy. Fast shutter speeds to freeze the flying sand in bunker shots are always nice. Great to catch candid moments, look out for expressions and gestures of the golfers after executing the shot.

Terence, it's called a tee box ;)

In any case, my advice is to stay far far away, and use a long lens. Camera shutters are distracting, especially for amateurs, and you may just find yourself at the pointy end of an angry golfer. When someone tees off or putts, and all strokes in between, the others in the flight, out of courtesy, either remain still or quiet. It's less of a problem on the fairway, so my advice (as a golfer myself) is :

1. For tee off, stand far away. If the golfer is right-handed (that means his/her left side is facing the fairway), stay on the left side of the fairway ... most golfers slice (hit to the right) rather than hook (hit to the left) for errant shots.

2. Along the fairway, same thing, just that you can probably be parallel to the golfer or slightly behind them.

3. At the green, you can choose your spot, as long as it's not in the golfer's line of sight/putt. And when you shoot, snap _after_ the putt, not before, not during.

Limit your movement, wear more subdued clothing (eg. grey shirt) that doesn't stand out, and keep your distance. Those shots in the magazines are of professionals in tournaments where there are lots of people, and they have learnt to deal with distractions.

Keep your own safety in mind, a golf ball at speed can kill. Don't forget about neighbouring holes ... what may be safe at your hole may not be for someone teeing off the other side, a lot of holes are parallel to each other, facing opposite directions.

ericp said:
Terence, it's called a tee box ;)

Ah-so-des-kah...

I got another tournament to shoot next month, would be nice if I learnt some rules of the game before then, might make the whole experience a lot more enjoyable.

Tango2, you really want to know the rules of the game ? I can pass you the rule book if you want, but it'll put you to sleep ...

Best thing to do is to check out the local club rules, they supercede the "official" USGA (or whatever-GA) rulebook, and give a good indication of local conditions.

I like your pic of the guy in the Airbus cap, doing a MJ move ... all that's missing is sequins on the glove ... :bsmilie:

Bob, you ok with the tips so far ? Need to warn you that in spite of my ramblings, I've never shot a golf tournament (Terence is the man for that), am just giving you the perspective from the subject's viewpoint.

Greetings,
am trying to do some informal golf shots for family. What shutter speed do you use such that you will have motion blurring of the golf club as it is being swung during tee-off? Tips appreciated, thanks!

dkw said:
Greetings,
am trying to do some informal golf shots for family. What shutter speed do you use such that you will have motion blurring of the golf club as it is being swung during tee-off? Tips appreciated, thanks!
As high a shutter speed as possible to reduce motion blur of the person. The blurring of the golf club will happen at any shutter speed <1/1000s (not for chip shots or putts though) IIRC..

+evenstar said:
As high a shutter speed as possible to reduce motion blur of the person. The blurring of the golf club will happen at any shutter speed <1/1000s (not for chip shots or putts though) IIRC..

Just what I needed, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.