What to look for when booking a studio for shoot.

Hi all, I never tried shooting in a studio before. Would like to understand what to look out for when booking a studio and what will affect the quality of the photos?? I will be shooting some of my toys, my wife and my baby gal. Will be good to recommend Me a studio with Asst to can teach me on set too. Or what is your ideal studio like??

Thank you in advance.

Hi all, I never tried shooting in a studio before. Would like to understand what to look out for when booking a studio and what will affect the quality of the photos?? I will be shooting some of my toys, my wife and my baby gal. Will be good to recommend Me a studio with Asst to can teach me on set too. Or what is your ideal studio like??

Thank you in advance.
you need to have some basic knowledge about studio photography to begin with, here is the best place to start...

Workshops, Tutorials and Classes

but it will take some time and efforts to acquire such knowledge. it is not an instant thing or can learn overnight.

hope this help.

FYI, most studios would only assist you with a very basic set up.. Other than that, you're pretty much on your own..

Some studios are nice enough to provide you will basic help while others will say things like 'the photographer using the studio should know'.
I recommend that when booking, you check with the studio and make them 'commit' to helping you in case you need help.

The first studio i ever went to was really helpful and set everything up nicely for me, but i didn't get to learn much.
The second studio left me alone and I had to learn and experiment everything myself (costly more too -hourly rate).
I think reading up beforehand will help.

i was also looking for such info.

studiospace.com.sg ($45/hr), anyone tried them out yet? camwerkz.com ($35/hr) is cheaper.

any advice or better recommandations?

Renting a studio is just like car rental, do not expect them to teach / coach you how to drive or how to handle those unforseen scenario..e.g. heavy rain, flash flood, heavy traffic jam, road accident, vehicle breakdown etc.

BTW, one really can benefit / learn much within a couple of hours. Coz, getting to familiarize with the studio lighting and setting the correct / proper lighting ratio already takes up at least some 30 ~ 45 min.

In my opinion, it is very practical for anyone who has totally zero knowledge/ experience of operating and usage of studio lighting to just go rent a studio and hoping to get the best out of it.

Then, who should rent studio ?

Those which had past working experience with a studio photographer as an assistant and had venture out to do freelancing photography and had a job coming up which need the studio space and equipment. As he/she had already acquired the knowledge of using all those equipments, so it will be benificial just to rent instead to own one.

So, what happen to those just want to have fun ?

There is an easy way out.
( Those studio owners must be very mad at me with this post. )

Last edited:
i shoot my 1st studio with frens awhile back...though not as popular as studiospace or camwerkz. we shoot at orchard central at riceball bookstore (yes they have a studio). we were the "white mouse" for the setup...they have most of the common stuff available like reflector and etc. 3 lighting setup for potrait and product too. just let them know in advance what u plan to shoot and they will set it up for u. u can go check it out what they have and see if it fits ur needs. like what cabbyshe said...it is better to commit to more than one hour. as setting up the light and etc takes time