What to look for in a tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redline15

Jan 12, 2008
i'm thinking of getting a tripod for night photography of buildings and holiday scenery shots. just wondering what should i look out for? i guess weight will be one factor. i'm not sure if a budget of $200 is realistic or not.

kindly advise :D

i'm thinking of getting a tripod for night photography of buildings and holiday scenery shots. just wondering what should i look out for? i guess weight will be one factor. i'm not sure if a budget of $200 is realistic or not.

The maximum weight load, the weight of the tripod + head, cost of the items, stability, how you want to raise it <using turn locks or clip locks>, etc...

$200 is a bit low unless you intend to get second hand sets.

Manfrotto is a good brand to consider.

Maybe you could save about $500+ for a Manfrotto 055MF3(tripod leg) + Manfrotto 804RC2(head) but max camera load is only 4kg OR you could get a Manfrotto 055MF3(tripod leg) + Manfrotto 808RC2, max camera load 8kg depends on your needs.

Manfrotto 055MF3 is a light and very stable tripod at only 2kg, max height with centre column up is about 169cm. Leg is made of carbon fibre+magnesium fibre, therefore can without alot of shakes and bangs. The tripod and also do a low angle tripod at 11cm tall with legs at about 90 degrees spread.

Manfrotto 804RC2 and 808RC2 is a 3 way tripod(pan+tilt) head which is good for night photography, landscrapes, articheture shots, macro and protraits which already suit your current needs.

For more information you can go to Manfrotto homepage and download the items cataloge.

Hope it helps ;)

Can Manfrotto 785B be able to support Canon 40D with 17-55mm lens? Seems like the weight max out the tripod specs but according to the seller it's not recommended.

the material is important too...

weak/thin alumnium will flex, even if the locks etc. can take the weight, they can flex(bend) slightly and affect stability.

Gotta get thick alumnium, steel or carbon fibres...those cheap <$50 ones are too light and they flex too much to be of use.

thanks everyone for your feedback. really appreciate it... esp the link...

cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.