What to inspect when buying a tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBen

Aug 24, 2008
Toa Payoh
Hi forumers,

I am about to invest on a tripod I dreamed to own for many years. Hence, I would like to find out from you folks what are the area to inspect when purchasing a tripod?

Cheers,
Ben

UncleBen

Aug 24, 2008
Toa Payoh
Sorry that I did not make myself clear. What I meant was what to inspect when you are purchasing a tripod at a shop. Eg: is the lock really working, expanding & collapsing the tripod are smooth & etc (I really have no idea what to check/test).

I've gone through the process of choosing the right tripod. I have also sorted out on the ballhead to use.

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited:

giantcanopy

Feb 11, 2007
SG
Apologies for misreading !

Check thru dents over the legs which can make extending / retracting the legs problematic, , look for broken/cracked knobs / locks that tightens extensions ard the legs, smooth central columns that locks well and if the rubber foot tips / spikes are intact. I concerned if the tripod head fits the tripod nicely as well

ryan

shelomoh

Mar 17, 2009
The price tag.

hahaha. Everything. That it works and no suspected manufacturing defects. That you don't foresee any future problems like flimsy construct...

UncleBen

Aug 24, 2008
Toa Payoh
So, generally, physical inspection of the item is the only thing we do when buying a tripod?

Cheers,
Ben

Numnumball

Mar 6, 2009
Central
So, generally, physical inspection of the item is the only thing we do when buying a tripod?

Cheers,
Ben
Deployment and putting your heaviest load on it in the shop before u commit.

Will seriously recommend TKFoto to get whatever u intend to get :)

Feb 6, 2006
Mostly is the
(1) Extending/retracting of the legs -> Do it on all legs X5 times & watch for jamming
(2) Locking of the legs & able to hold w/ the recommended weight load applied
(3) Locking of the center column & able to hold w/ the recommended weight load applied

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007

Cheers,
Ben
Hmm ... not for me.

I also check for uneven load bearing and torsion.

But the pods I use are generally super strong so this becomes a moot point, but can be crucial for less specified pods.

masrudyn

Apr 19, 2008
Jurong East
TS what's the dream tripod you are intending to get? care to share? I'm looking for one too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom