What to go along with my 500D

Status
Not open for further replies.

kin9kelvin

Jul 10, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I got myself Canon 500D with the 18-55mm kit not too long ago and I believe there is no turning back for picking up photography as a hobby.

I hope that maybe there are some kind souls who can give some advices on photography and help me priorities what items should i get first.

Not Necessary | Good to have | Must to GET | Projected Cost
1. EF 50mm f1.8 II X 115
2. Dry Cabinet X 100
3. UV Filter X 25
4. Len Hood X
5. 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM X

*It will be nice if you give some other recommendations like what model or brand to get.

Thanks! Would appreciate your efforts for the replies..

hI,
I'm also using 500D though with 18200 lens.

1)I'm also getting a 50 mm f/1.8 soon! I think it will help you learn and improve your photography skills.
2)Dry cabinet-i dun really have that, i just keep it in my bag, but then i use my camera quite often. Highly recommended by people. Your choice.
3)UV filter-i have it on my 18200 lens all the time, it helps preventing me from touching the front of the lens and its easy to clean. Some say filters are not good. Your choice.
4)Lens Hood-i'm getting a 3rd party lens hood for my 18200 lens soon! It will hopefully prevent flare. Again, it also helps to prevent you from touching the front of the lens accidentally. Your choice.
5)75300 lens-Depends on what you like to take pictures of. Your choice.

I would recommend investing in a battery grip. I'm getting one soon!
More memory cards. Depends on what you shoot and how often.

Hope you spend your money wisely~

Hi Everyone,

I got myself Canon 500D with the 18-55mm kit not too long ago and I believe there is no turning back for picking up photography as a hobby.

I hope that maybe there are some kind souls who can give some advices on photography and help me priorities what items should i get first.

1. EF 50mm f1.8 II X 115
2. Dry Cabinet X 100
3. UV Filter X 25
4. Len Hood X

*It will be nice if you give some other recommendations like what model or brand to get.

Hi, similar to you, i got a 500D as well. And since i'm still new to photography as well, i shall comment IMHO.

1. EF 50mm f/1.8 II - I think it's good to have. For portraits i think. Recently i took some shots using that. http://ironiccorrupt.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/sentosa/

2. Dry Cabinet - I think you can do a search on it and you will get your answers. Personally, i think it's between good to have and must have. Minimally i would say, a dry box? Don't want to be flame by others, so i think you do a search and be your own judge. And if you intend to expand more gears in quick time, do get a reasonably bigger cabinet.

3. UV filter - Good to have. Protects your lens. Some would feel not practical. I think most will agree that it's for protection and no harm having if you want. Not a must perhaps.

4. Lens hood - Good to have. Quite similar to UV filter. Acts as protection to lens against accidental bumping, from flares as well. Most expensive lenses will usually have it, and if you do, have it on all the time is most users would have suggested. This said, doesn't mean cheap lens doesn't need it.

5. 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM - I'll leave this blank for others with experience on it to comment.

Lastly, again IMHO, i think it's best you shoot more and not get too concerned about what to get for now. EF-S 18-55mm can let you shoot quite decently, and perhaps you should explore on your existing gears and then slowly you will be more aware of what's a must, and what's a want.

5. 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM - I'll leave this blank for others with experience on it to comment.

Get the 55-250 instead

Hi Everyone,

1. EF 50mm f1.8 II X 115
2. Dry Cabinet X 100
3. UV Filter X 25
4. Len Hood X

Dry cabinet, lens uv filters, memory cards and extra batteries. Grab a flash as soon as you can.

If you dont shoot long distance often, a telephoto not needed. Rent the gear you need instead.

thats about it. anything else are extras which you may or may not need.

oh yes, do visit the local library and borrow stuff on photography.

perhaps you could get a tripod as well :) worth investing

get the dry cabinet first

if your lenses develop fungus, you bbb also no use

Hi Everyone,

1. EF 50mm f1.8 II X 115
2. Dry Cabinet X 100
3. UV Filter X 25
4. Len Hood X

Since you just started new hobby in photographing。
Learn more abt your camera and how to shot first.
As for the below items this is my advice to you.

1. EF 50mm f1.8 II X 115 (You kits lens able to shot at 55mm the only different is f1.8, but do you need it now?)
2. Dry Cabinet X 100 (Is a must.!!! Don't wait..!! if not all your lens and camera will grow fungus…)
3. UV Filter X 25 (I think is your new toy, and you really want to take good care of it. Just buy at least will help you to ease you mind)
4. Len Hood X (No need, save the $$$ for the blower and cleaning kits)
5. 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM X ( Not too sure abt this lens, but 55-250 will be a good range since you already have 18-55mm and will not over lap)

Hope all my advice will help.

thanks everyone for the replies.

I have got myself a tripod. So i think a Dry Cabinet, 50mm f1.8 II and followed by UV Filter.

As long as I exercise more cautiousness, i think i can hold back the hood and filter.

Meanwhile, i think i will zip lock my camera and keep in a tupperware first. As for 75-300, I should save up for a decent wide angel or fisheye.

Pricey Gadget Priceless Memories

Do you have a kit lens, if so try for a while first then decide.

Of all, I think dry cabinet is needed. The 50mm is cheap, but don't buy it just because of that, if you need it, then buy.

75-300mm, I think you can skip this one, IQ is not good.

Hi Everyone,

1. EF 50mm f1.8 II X 115
2. Dry Cabinet X 100
3. UV Filter X 25
4. Len Hood X

The only thing u need to get is a dry cabinet. The others like UV filter and Hood are nice to have but not really necessary.

Lens wise, if you are not sure what to buy, DON'T BUY! You should be exploring with your kit lens, and when you've outgrown it, u will naturally know what lens to buy

Hi there,

I have a mint condition EF 75-300mm III USM lens for sale if you're interested. $250. It will add great zoom flexibility to your 500D.

sms me 93707350

thanks

1. EF 50mm f1.8 II
Good to have, can give you a nice bokeh at f/1.8, drop aperture by 2 stops for better sharpness.
You can also experiment with macro by flipping the lens around :D
And for the price, I think its quite the bargain.

2. Dry Cabinet
Must to get - 100+, protects your thousand dollar investments from fungus (which spells Death)

3. UV Filter
Must to get - Some say no use, some say use hood, but I Kiasu and Kiasi. A cheap emolux should suffice for the kit lens, Get a hoya if you start progressing to say Tamron 17-50 and when you start upgrading to more expensive lenses (>$1k), switch to B+W.

4. Len Hood
Not Really Necessary for the 18-55mm/50 f1.8 under most conditions

5. 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM
I've read online and heard some complaints about softness on the long end and lack in contrast from the images.

But what I can tell you is that it doesn't come with image stabilizer but the 55-250 IS does and at the 300mm you'll really want that Image Stabilizer, otherwise at 300mm, you're gonna need to shoot at 1/480sec to prevent camera shake. :bigeyes:
Some also say the 55-250 is even sharper all round. :dunno:
Google "75-300(non-IS) vs 55-250IS" and read the threads, I think you'll find the 55-250 comes out tops more often than not

Status
Not open for further replies.