what to get..

Status
Not open for further replies.

masandisyah

May 28, 2009
near SEAGATE in Admiralty
i need advice on which dslr to get.. ok i have a budget of about $5k.. what are the equipments that i need to start shooting wedding photography? i am really keen to start a 'so called business' of my own.. is d90 good enuf or the d300? as the nikon sale is here, issit the best time to get 1??

i need advice on which dslr to get.. ok i have a budget of about $5k.. what are the equipments that i need to start shooting wedding photography? i am really keen to start a 'so called business' of my own.. is d90 good enuf or the d300? as the nikon sale is here, issit the best time to get 1??

having a good camera doesn't means u are a good photographer.

i advise you to try not to phrase your question this way, as you might offend some of the forumers here who take wedding photography very seriously, not something you can start shooting as long as you have the proper equipment.

but if you're asking which setup will be good for someone starting up in photography, the people here will be more than happy to help you out.

This forum becomes a forum that you have to fear offending people more than getting advice from fellow forumers here.

From your questions, can i say you don't have any experience with DSLR yet? (meaning hands-on and "normal" street shooting)

Or you need help in getting which Nikon DSLR that makes it suitable for your new business?

Maybe you can say more about your experience/requirement inorder to have a better understanding. Else will be just "hit and run" questions and answer session...

You can look over at photo business sub forum too.

From your questions, can i say you don't have any experience with DSLR yet? (meaning hands-on and "normal" street shooting)

Or you need help in getting which Nikon DSLR that makes it suitable for your new business?

Maybe you can say more about your experience/requirement inorder to have a better understanding. Else will be just "hit and run" questions and answer session...

You can look over at photo business sub forum too.

Let the TS buy a D300 and start out. For me, a D90 would be good enough for TS scenario since he has no experience anyway.

But who knows. Best buy the more expensive one incase. :dunno:

This forum becomes a forum that you have to fear offending people more than getting advice from fellow forumers here.

ONLY when the TS's message is vague and SOME ppl starts to jump to conclusions. So pls don't generalise the rest of the population here.

it's called tact.

if you post without regards to others' opinions, chances are it'll end up being a flamebait.

If you're really new to photography, I highly recommend that you seek the help and assistance of friends who are into photography. That way, you can learn to handle the basics without spending too much.

Starting a business is more than just skills in that particular field. There's marketing, finance and other factors to consider. Thus, I highly recommend that you give yourself at least a couple of months to learn the ropes before plunging into a business. The last thing you want to do is to fumble over the basics of photography when starting out your business.

Let the TS buy a D300 and start out. For me, a D90 would be good enough for TS scenario since he has no experience anyway.

But who knows. Best buy the more expensive one incase. :dunno:
is more then just a D300/D90 bodies... either one is fine, depends on personal style/taste.
Still got many things to look into, but too long to type it out. :bsmilie:

sigh... yeah buy nikon. Nikon will pay your money back if you take bad photo.

not.

oh yeah but you can bitch about it when you take bad photo, then switch to canon... and continue from above.

it's called tact.

if you post without regards to others' opinions, chances are it'll end up being a flamebait.

Oh well, now that you said, it makes alot of sense. My bad.

sorry guys if u find my qn phrase offending.. didnt mean to sound like dat.. ok my sincere apologies to everyone.. i'm really new to this forum. never joined any forum b4.. i noe i have to do a lot of homework on photography and practise shooting b4 i can be a photographer.. the reason i said 'so called business' is bcoz i dont want to sound so ambitious.. but i really intend to begin.. i will surely go for courses and slowly try being a second photographer for a wedding to build up my skills and confidence. its juz dat i am quite blur about where and how to start.. what equipments shld i get so that 1 day when i'm ready to go on my own, i'm prepared.. anyway tnx for the advice n sorry once again.. :)

If you are really new, I would suggest that you get D90 and invest in better equipment such f/2.8 or even faster lenses. Try playing around with the various apertures, lightings, etc. With more experience, you will probably find the answers to your questions yourself. :)

there is no definite setup for wedding photography.

in my "company" , there are 4 photographers including myself. And i alone shoot using nikon while the rest uses canon. Guess what? Our company motto : Dare to be different.

Well I am different right haha

anyway, for your question, like i said, no definite answers. You can use a d90 no problem. i am personally using d90.

My setup :
Nikon D90 with 18-55vr kit lens( yes laugh all you want)
Sb-600 speedlight
extra 2 batteries for d90, extra 12 batteries for sb-600
4gb SDHC +8gb SDHC backup
Nikon D50 with 18-55 kit lens as backup.

I rent out the Tamron 17-50 once a while .

There are photographers who use a 17-50mm tamron and some using 14-24 as wedding . Some use Full frame for studio shots. My mentor/boss uses 1dmIII for normal shots, while 5D Full Frame for studio shots.

I've no problems with them as I am flexible, I can use both Nikon and Canon. the choice is yours. Is nikon good? Is canon good? My answer ? If nikon or canon isnt good, they wont be in the market right ?what of other brands ? Sure! I saw someone using an Olypus to shoot wedding before no big deal.

To the threadstarter, shooting wedding isnt as easy as one sees...many things can happen.. what i recommend ? Know your equipment and its limits, familiarise yourself and know it by heart then shoot. You and your equipment must be ONE. lastly, get apprenticeship.. some things cant be learnt from books or tips..

D90 ? D300 ? D3X ? 50D? 5DmII ? 1dMIII ? Sb600? Sb900? 430EX? 580EX?? go out, rent out , shoot more then decide.

Last edited:
TS should think about buying equipement in stages so as to buy only what they need, and also so that they learn how each component works without being overwhelmed. Most people won't be able to become professional wedding photographers in a month or two, so take your time, learn what it is to take photographs while learning the business side of things.

if you are only looking at Nikon stuff (canon gear are also good)
then I would suggest getting the D90 and spend the rest of your money on lenses and flash

the D90 is good but the D300 is better, better in terms of technology

but you can also compensate technology with skills
skills on the other hand cannot compensate the lack of an external flash or fast lens.
do your maths and if you can afford it, then buy it

if you are only looking at Nikon stuff (canon gear are also good)
then I would suggest getting the D90 and spend the rest of your money on lenses and flash

the D90 is good but the D300 is better, better in terms of technology

but you can also compensate technology with skills
skills on the other hand cannot compensate the lack of an external flash or fast lens.
do your maths and if you can afford it, then buy it

i agree here.

with ur 5k budget, if you're looking for a nikon system , here's a rough guide:

D90 body Approximately $1350-$1400
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 ~ $650-$700
Sb-900 ~ $650-$700
Flash Battery pack $350-$400 SD9a
En-el3e batteries ( for d90)$70-$80
MB-D80 Battery grip(holds 2 batteries) $220-$250
B+W UV filter 67mm for Tamron ~$90+
Dry cabinet 50litres $168

your total cost : around $3788.

note , if you have spare cash, straight away get a nikon 17-55 f2.8 but cost is $2k-$2.3k

hey thank you so much for the info.. really appreciate it. in fact, i've jotted it down.. really widens my mind.. now i will do my maths and find out more about all the stuffs related to my quest to being a photographer. btw, i read other threads about the recommended shops to go.. such as lords camera etc.. will pay them a visit soon..

2nd hand D700 + 2nd hand 24-70 f/2.8 + 2nd hand SB-600.

Oops, it's more than budget, but well, you could always sell them off for not much loss later if you buy them all second hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.