What to get after getting my first dslr

Status
Not open for further replies.

focusHeart

Apr 12, 2008
Hi... i just bought a second hand nikon d40 as i'm starting my photography. I want to know what is essential to get after getting the camera itself..;p

Tripod?;p..I am new too, tripod was the first thing i got:bsmilie:

Get a dry cabinet to house your camera, lenses and other accessories that are prone to fungal growth. :)

Is dry box enough? I got two dry boxes to keep my P n S cameras - so far no problem. I have the problem of space constraint so a dry cabinet may not be feasible.

I used to keep my camera and lens in dry box. But it was too troublesome to keep track of the RH. So decided to upgrade to dry cabinet. I guess dry box is adequate as long as you keep track and maintain the RH. :)

for me is uv filter, polariser, dry cabinet, tripod, flash

Get time to go out and shoot... :bsmilie: and study your photos and ask how you can shoot better. Study other people's photos and ask yoruself why are they nice/not nice, and how you can incorporate techniques in your shoots ;)

juz go shoot!! and yes, agree that always surf around the galleries.. look at the good shots and comments + tips given by other CSers.. really helped me so far in my 1 mth DSLR experience.. :)

Protect and pro long the life of your camera. Get a dry cabinet 1st. A 30L doesn't take up so much space and would save you heaps of money if fungal starts growing. No point investing in lens unless you can protect them too.

After which I would think of a tripod together with a ball head, flash then lens....:)

Getting the stuff is not as important as getting used to the camera. The stuff can always come later, after you know the camera well -- the accessories are just to give you new things to shoot, and new areas of photography to explore.

Although I did buy UV filters for my lenses once I got my DSLR. Until now I don't have a tripod, not necessary for my shooting style. A CPL is also helpful. And of course, a good camera bag.

As for the dry-cabinet, silica gel sufficed for me, hehe :)

aiyah...always sia.

the most important thing u need to ask yourself is what your shooting.

events? scenery? (night/day) street/candid.

it all depends mate. what u should determines what epuitment you buy. including lenses.

so for me i shoot events, so i dont see the need for a tripod. so i got myself a flash and a fast decently sharp zoom. and a grip so i can shoot wihtout the worry of the battery running out.

i have a friend who is into scenery and hasnt gotten a flash for almost 2 years now. and he also uses a different kind of lense ie the 12-24 f4 which has too slow an af motor to shoot events.

i think it would be best if you could enlighten us specifically what ur into.

Get the protection first...filters, dry cabinet

Depends on your needs. I guess what I'm going to advice here are a mish mash
Basics you can get first: filters like hoya, BW, etc to protect or enhance the lens, extra batteries, battery grip, waterproof bags like lowepro, etc
Or for shooting, it depends on your usage.
Night scenery --> tripod + wide angle lenses
Portraits --> prime lenses (depending on your preference also) + flash
Macros --> filters + flash
etc. It's hard to advice specially without you providing more info. For me I very rarely use tripods except to mount the flash. It's a different style+needs for all.

Hi... i just bought a second hand nikon d40 as i'm starting my photography. I want to know what is essential to get after getting the camera itself..;p

Dry cabinet.

Tripod?;p..I am new too, tripod was the first thing i got:bsmilie:

Depending on wat you shoot... tripod is not important in my opinion... I bought expensive $400++ tripod & ballhead as i do not want to been seen using cheap ones... in that time of 2 yrs, i only used it briefly once... :confused:

Eventually i sold it for money to buy lens.

Lens cleaning kit: at least a blower, a brush, 100% alcohol or good cleaning fluid, some cleaning tissue. I see no need for sensor cleaning kit. You are not likely to touch the sensor and a blower should be enough. Fooling around with your sensor may result in a scratch or sth along the line.

pictures

but most people forget that :dunno: they are more concerned with ways to spend more money

oh and i forget, must have, probably a dry cabi/drybox in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.