What to do with old digital cameras?

Startrail

Nov 18, 2005
Hey guys just a question, what do you do with all your old compact digital cameras that are outdated and no longer use? Do you sell them? If so, where do you sell them to?? I have a couple of cameras lying around, and am wondering what to do with them. No one would want them on the Buy/Sell corner, so just wondering if there are shops out there that buys such camera. Does not have to be a good price. I know there's a shop next to Cathay Photo that buys old DSLR equipment, but don't remember seeing old compacts being sold.

Thanks!

ortega

Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hey guys just a question, what do you do with all your old compact digital cameras that are outdated and no longer use? Do you sell them? If so, where do you sell them to?? I have a couple of cameras lying around, and am wondering what to do with them. No one would want them on the Buy/Sell corner, so just wondering if there are shops out there that buys such camera. Does not have to be a good price. I know there's a shop next to Cathay Photo that buys old DSLR equipment, but don't remember seeing old compacts being sold.

Thanks!
Donate them

ziploc

Jan 17, 2002
Snoopyland
Or have some fun by just taking them apart and take some pictures. :bsmilie:

dingaroo

Dec 6, 2009
Singapore | East
Yeah, donating them to a charity organization, not those rich ones, but those that would really appreciate your camera and would use it.

Maybe give them a memory card to go along with the camera card. They would be more than happy to adopt your unwanted 'baby'.

newghost

Staff member
Sep 17, 2009
can also sell them on evilbay...

chiangkxv

Jul 5, 2008
Tiong Bahru
www.flickr.com
If it is a canon, can use for Canon's Privilege Purchase Program. If not can sell @ Sungei Road.

The most meaningful thing you could do is like what fellow friends mentioned, to donate them. :D

Startrail

Nov 18, 2005
Thanks for the suggestions. Will consider donating them, although the battery is in a rather sorry state.

narofx

Aug 12, 2006
If you choose to reuse them instead of donating them away, there's a few option that i can think of:
- Update the latest firmware and see if it performs better.
- If its a old Canon, you may want to try out CHDK ( http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK ) and try to max out the potential of your old camera.

Battery should not be an issue since you can get 3rd party batteries cheaply.

If you've any nephews or nieces, can give it to them to play around with.

henry soh

Aug 29, 2008
Hi, scout around little india for shops that buy old campacts and resell them to construction firms for shootings at work- in- progress by supervisors or export the sets elsewhere. The price would be around $80.00

cichlid

Dec 2, 2006
S'pore
I've seen (someone) on the internet made a macro ring flash using 2 flashes that were dismantled from 2 compact cameras.....

woeilee

Aug 26, 2008
CCK
woeilee.zenfolio.com
For those that does not worth much in 2nd hand market, I would keep them as my collection of cameras, though I really don't have many old ones right now. ;)

fatigue

Sep 26, 2005
Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
forums.clubsnap.org
Or have some fun by just taking them apart and take some pictures. :bsmilie:
I've seen (someone) on the internet made a macro ring flash using 2 flashes that were dismantled from 2 compact cameras.....

Watch out for the flash capacitor! It could still have a few hundred volts even after the battery has been removed. Need to discharge them properly

Jun 30, 2010
This tread reminded me to dig out my Minolta, my 1st digital cam that CMI!

Galdor

Jul 5, 2006
Planet Gaia
s105.photobucket.com
If it is a canon, can use for Canon's Privilege Purchase Program. If not can sell @ Sungei Road.

The most meaningful thing you could do is like what fellow friends mentioned, to donate them. :D
Does Canon take in old PnS for the Canon's Privilege Purchase Program? If they do I'll be glad to dispose my lousy Canon PnS.

hotwork77

Jun 21, 2009
1°19'37.70"N 103°47'39.19"E

Thanks!
I would buy it from you and then donate to my chosen charity.:cool:

Top Bottom