What to do with film SLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evo-lution

Jan 28, 2008
Hi guys, dunno if this is the correct place to post thou....

Anyway, just inherited a film SLR and a couple of old lens.... or rather given one since that person who hand it to me is still very much alive...:bsmilie:

I was told that i'm free to do anything with it, but the thing is I dunno how to use it!;(

And the person who handed me this piece of 40yr old equipment have also very much forgotten how to use it too:bsmilie:

The SLR is the Olympus OM10.

The set of lens includes:

Tamron SP Teleconverter 2X
Tamron 35-70mm CF Macro
Tamron 75-250mm CF Tele Macro

Any ideas what should I do with it:dunno:

You can learn how to use it :)

Any ideas what should I do with it:dunno:

you should have told me earlier, i just got an om-10 off ebay uk a month or two back..

i can help you use it, i do intensive research for you on how to use the camera, give you a full report in 10 years.

but now cannot already.. wasted.. :cry:

jokes aside, why not shoot with it? :)

my d60 got intermitten problem, u want exchange?:bsmilie::bsmilie:

shh.... dont tell him that lar.:nono::nono:

Lol, haha, can can, at the very least I think your D60 problem easier to solve:bsmilie:

This is a camera with 40yrs history leh... And I don't even know if it can work... For the past 30yrs, its been living in a dry box with expired(dunno correct word to use or not) sillica gel.....

But surprisingly, the condition of those lens looks good thou...

Btw, do u happen to know if those lens can be mounted on a canon EOS series? Or is there some kind of adaptor?
P.S I dun have my usual camera with me now...

you should have told me earlier, i just got an om-10 off ebay uk a month or two back..

i can help you use it, i do intensive research for you on how to use the camera, give you a full report in 10 years.

but now cannot already.. wasted.. :cry:

jokes aside, why not shoot with it? :)

Haha, 10yrs is too long liao.... But wow, imagine a camera with 50yrs of history attached...

Haha, the problem with shooting with it is.... I cannot even decipher how to open the film compartment:bsmilie:

And, I dunno where the battery goes.... Cannot find any battery compartment at all...

Furthermore, all the knobs look greek to me... dun understand what is each knob suppose to do.... It's labelled quite differently from cameras nowadays:embrass:

Then cannot find the manual leh.... It's long lost.... I think i need to find some old old(literally) veteran in using film SLRs back then to teach me how to operate one....

Alot of parts may have to be reconditioned too.

Btw, did u really get the OM10 from ebay? Or was it a joke?

Btw, did u really get the OM10 from ebay? Or was it a joke?

it is not, i wanted a cheap slr to play with, and i got a pretty good copy that works fine.

of course, exposure still remains to be seen.

you can get the pdf version of the manual (which i got with my camera) from olympus america's site here (click on link)

hope this helps.

to open the film compartment, on the left side when looking through viewfinder, there is a winder, you can pull it upwards, pull it upwards more, and the film compartment will pop open.

it is not, i wanted a cheap slr to play with, and i got a pretty good copy that works fine.

of course, exposure still remains to be seen.

you can get the pdf version of the manual (which i got with my camera) from olympus america's site here (click on link)

hope this helps.

to open the film compartment, on the left side when looking through viewfinder, there is a winder, you can pull it upwards, pull it upwards more, and the film compartment will pop open.

Haha, ok will go look through the manual.

Orh, that one arh:angry:..... I have been winding it round and round and round for hours! But nothing comes out of the winding.... Ok, ok, now I can open the film compartment already. Thanks!

Have you yet figured out what sort of memory card it takes? :cool:

Last edited:
seem you are not keen to shoot film.....

anyway, old camera just like antique car, it is cool to drive it occasionally, but need to pray very hard it won't brake down, cos all the parts are no longer available, or very costly to source for it.

so you can show off with your camera to someone once awhile, but don't use it extensively.

anyway, old camera just like antique car, it is cool to drive it occasionally, but need to pray very hard it won't brake down, cos all the parts are no longer available, or very costly to source for it.

so you can show off with your camera to someone once awhile, but don't use it extensively.

Hmm ...

If Evo ever falls in love with the legendary OM system, IIRC, there is one hard-core source that has been buying up a lot of hard to find parts and repairs/refurbishes OM system bodies. Several countries have a cult following for the OM system - some for the entiree system, and some many just the superb lenses.

Another ready source for parts for the 10 is ebay. You could buy still working cameras cheaply, and sometimes jammed bodies for parts at super low prices. Then get one of the shops here to do the repairs. Should be much cheaper than sending it away.

That is, IF Evo ever falls in love with the OM and needs such sources.

:bsmilie:

Anyways, it's a great camera, really!

And this might help: http://www.cameramanuals.org/olympus_pdf/olympus_om10.pdf

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/olympus/olympus_om10/olympus_om10.htm

Let me know if you would like some help. I've been through the OM system from the OM-1 through to the OM-4ti inc the 10.

CHEERS EVO.

P.S. http://www.adaptall-2.com/

Wow, that's great info! ok, will read these later(now reading nai meh's link).

Haha, great to know that u have been thru the whole system before! Will consult u if i need help:)

Haha, not really "not keen", it's more like dunno how to use.... Furthermore, no manual to guide me initially.... Actually I only got the camera yesterday night... But i'm reading the manual now(thanks to nightmare's link).... Haha, and alot of mystery(in my head) about this camera is being solved as I read thru the manual now...

Yea. Not too sure about the performance of this camera. The only thing i know is that it have not been used for 30years. So might need to recondition it somehow somewhere. Looking around for shops which deals with cameras like tht to check the parts(if its not too expensive)....

Lastest news!

I juz asked my friend to help me buy the battery for the OM10..... And I fitted the battery in...

It works!

Shutter seems to be working fine.
Hotshoe also seems to be working fine.
Viewfinder seems clear enuf...

Ok, let's hope this thing still have what it takes to capture good pictures....
Can't wait to go buy a roll of film and testshoot!:lovegrin:

Last edited:
Lastest news!

I juz asked my friend to help me buy the battery for the OM10..... And I fitted the battery in...

It works!

Shutter seems to be working fine.
Hotshoe also seems to be working fine.
Viewfinder seems clear enuf...

Ok, let's hope this thing still have what it takes to capture good pictures....
Can't wait to go buy a roll of film and testshoot!:lovegrin:

CONGRATS!

The Tammy lenses you have are no slouches either! At least I have used the shorter zoom before - sharp and contrasty lens with rich colours. IIRC, you could also use them for a Canon DSLR with the correct adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.