What to do with a fungitized teleconverter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdivider

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Picked up a kenko tcon NAF-d (this is nikon af-d right?) from cash converters for 20+. I was thinking of

1) sending it for a wash. Would it cost less than $10?

2) break the glass and use it as an extension tube. It looks identical appearance wise to my kenko 25mm. I'm assuming an extension tube is a tcon w/o glass, rite?

3) Take it as a course in lens design by dismantling it and DIY a cleaning. Would not wanna do this unless necessary.

Which option should i try? In case i wanna clean it, where would be the best place and standard prices for cleaning tcons?

OK give u first shot at it if all fails. It seems that if i can manage to unscrew the lens element off it is the same as the extension tube, so the $$ wouldn't be a waste afterall.

Originally posted by xdivider
OK give u first shot at it if all fails. It seems that if i can manage to unscrew the lens element off it is the same as the extension tube, so the $$ wouldn't be a waste afterall.
It will be a rather expensive extension tube. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
It will be a rather expensive extension tube. :)

Regards
CK

Nah, got it for $20+ so wasn't expecting anything. :D My 2nd hand tube already costs 2x of that.

For me I would try to clean it, if fail, then convert it into an extension tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.