What to do to keep Humidity down when travelling overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaoWei

Mar 14, 2008
Toa Payoh
Hi guys,

I'm planning to travel overseas with my DSLR camera and lenses but didn't know how to keep the humidity down to the right level. I can't possibly bring a dry cabinet, that will be too bulky.

Any advise?

Thanks in advance ;)

Hi guys,

I'm planning to travel overseas with my DSLR camera and lenses but didn't know how to keep the humidity down to the right level. I can't possibly bring a dry cabinet, that will be too bulky.

Any advise?

Thanks in advance ;)

For me i just keep it in the camera bag. If u're using it all the time then it's ok. Unless u're staying there for a holiday, it's better to invest in a small dry cabinet.

how long is your trip? if less than 2 weeks, no need lah, just make sure you go into air-coned places when you sleep, the humidity will be controlled. If you are paranoid, then get a big ziploc bag, throw in a silica gel pack and you are good to go!

And if you take your camera out into daylight, you'll be fine. The sunlight will kill mold.

Hi guys,

Where are you going to? Looking from SG all the rest of the world is overseas ;)
First, check the climate at your travel destination. Cameras are built for moderate climate conditions. So for a lot of places you don't need to worry at all about humidity.
If you travel to Dubai or Saudi Arabia you could take all your silica gel and get it dry for free there ;p

If you travel to Dubai or Saudi Arabia you could take all your silica gel and get it dry for free there ;p

Dubai is seriously humid...

Hi,

It depends on how long will you be away.

If you are travelling for a short holiday, up to a month, no need to do anything except to make sure the camera is in tip top condition for shooting. From what I learnt, mould do not so fast unless you leave it out in the open for a very long time or near a water body.
If you are going for a short work trip or study trip i.e. exchange, say up to 6 months, a small dry box will be ideal. You can get silica beads in most large photography shops in the world.

If you are posted overseas for work or for further studies, then a dry cabinet will be more ideal, since most of time, you will either be studying or working. :)

Family experience: my brother went overseas for study exchange a few years back and so far so good, no problems with the camera and his many lenses. Or maybe the country has low humidity.:dunno:

Depends on where you go... if you go to a subtropic area where humidity is always low, no need to think about the humidity...

If your destination is very humid, just bring some sillica gel and some zip-lock bags... that's enough...

Hi hi,
I am concerned about this as well!
I will be going to Sweden for a semester for exchange!
I though the humidity in those places are quite low?

Hi hi,

If humidity is low then it's ok. When i was in South Korea last year for a week, the weather's cool too and i kept all my equipment in my camera bag.

Just curious, where are you from and where are you going? I thought there are few places in the world with humidity higher than Singapore :)

I have the opposite problem. I'm in Singapore for a month or so, rest of the time I'm in California where humidity is 50% or lower most of the time - it's like living in a dry cabinet, I guess. Can someone recommend a good dry cabinet (or alternative) for a camera, a flash and 4 medium sized lenses? Thanks in advance.

As the many members here have replied, no need to worry to much about mould growing in your lens or camera for a short trip overseas. But, in my opinion, the main concern is bring out the camera from a cold hotel room to a humid outdoor environment. Water condensation will fog up your lens and viewfinder in no time, not to mention making your camera body wet. It's best to keep the camera in your bag when you go outdoors and wait for about half hour for the insides of the bag to be close to the outside temperature.

i went to sibu kelong..~ was fishing most of the time.. i put my camera in ziplock bag.. with a silica gel pack(diy) and put in my lowepro bag... is good enough~

Some shots to share~

SibuKelongTripMar212008.jpg

SibuKelongTripMar212008unclebysea.jpg

Hi hi,
Sorry for stepping in, but I thought since I live in Sweden I may have something to add.

Humidity never worried me anywhere in Europe. In fact, the first time I heard about a dry box was when I joined CS. You can't even buy them here, so humidity is definitely not a problem. It can rain a lot if you have bad luck but other than than, forget about high humidity like you have in Singapore.

Do you mind telling me where you are going? I mean which city or cities.

Anyway, I hope you will have a nice time.

Sorry for stepping in, but I thought since I live in Sweden I may have something to add.

Humidity never worried me anywhere in Europe. In fact, the first time I heard about a dry box was when I joined CS. You can't even buy them here, so humidity is definitely not a problem. It can rain a lot if you have bad luck but other than than, forget about high humidity like you have in Singapore.

Do you mind telling me where you are going? I mean which city or cities.

Anyway, I hope you will have a nice time.
OlyFlyer is right. In Europe and North America, there is no need to be worried about the humidity. Most of the time it will stay relatively dry, in fact too dry for my liking when I was staying in Europe, ha ha. There you will not find any dry cabi for sale, and the camera shops owner there most likely will give you a blank stare when you enquire about dry cabi :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.