What to do....Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ong_23

May 20, 2004
East
Hi,

I am new to DSLR. However, I would like to take photo for my fren's wedding, at first I thought of using my kit lens together with 430EX Flash... but after I calculated, it's not within my budget, so I would like to ask, what will the effect if I use built-in flash?

FYI, I am using canon 350D.

Also, if I use "P", the flash won't come out. Unless I use other like Tv, Macro etc..

I would very much appreciate if the experts here can advise and suggest.

sorry if it may sound like stupid question... THanks n God bless

Ong_23 said:
Hi,

I am new to DSLR. However, I would like to take photo for my fren's wedding, at first I thought of using my kit lens together with 430EX Flash... but after I calculated, it's not within my budget, so I would like to ask, what will the effect if I use built-in flash?

FYI, I am using canon 350D.

Also, if I use "P", the flash won't come out. Unless I use other like Tv, Macro etc..

I would very much appreciate if the experts here can advise and suggest.

sorry if it may sound like stupid question... THanks n God bless
The flash won't come out even if you press the flash button? If you're on budget constrains, try get a 50mm f1.8 II for ~$120

In "P", the flash won't pop automatically. It shouldn't for "Tv' and "Av" and most of the creative modes. You have to manually release the inbuilt flash by pressing the button located at the side of the mounting area.

Why not get a second hand 420EX? Its around $200-$250. You're just taking for fun right? I hope you aren't the sole/"official" photographer.

I wouldn't recommend the built-in flash unless you're shooting casual snapshots, or posed pictures. Even then the key-word here is casual. Don't expect much, cos its quite limited.

An alternative is to shoot outdoors, if the event allows. I know some weddings are held at outdoor garden venues, so an external flash isn't critical. If its indoor get a fast standard lens. Not perfect, but it'll get u some useable shots.

The kit lens is pretty useful for weddings BUT it really sucks at low-light ambient shots. Just isn't fast enough.

I assume you will do indoor shooting, with not so bright lighting.

You may consider to use "Green" mode, where it will decide by itself when to pop up. If I remember correctly this mode does not support "slow-sync". "Slow-sync" will give you well-exposed background (not "dark" background) but at the risk of having "shakes" due to low shutter speed required to expose background properly. The "slow-sync" is available at creative mode and "night mode".

The built-in flash (GN: 12 or 13 only) is not as powerful as the dedicated one (GN: 42 for 420EX, 43 for 430EX and 58 for 580EX). The light from built-in flash may not be strong enough to lit far objects.

I personally find the better result is obtained by using a dedicated flash in manual mode (M) where I can control the shutter speed (for background exposure and minimising shakes) and aperture (for the depth of field). I believe there would also be situations even one good dedicated flash may not be enough and multiple flashes might be needed.

Getting a second hand 420EX is a good suggestion.

n0d3 said:
In "P", the flash won't pop automatically. It shouldn't for "Tv' and "Av" and most of the creative modes. You have to manually release the inbuilt flash by pressing the button located at the side of the mounting area.

Why not get a second hand 420EX? Its around $200-$250. You're just taking for fun right? I hope you aren't the sole/"official" photographer.

I hope to learn first then when I am better at it then I will consider to go into photography

a built-in flash + DSLR on any auto mode makes not much a differ from a point 'n' shoot cam

You can rent a flash unit like 550ex. For wedding you have no choice but to go for a more powerful unit. Because most of us bounce the flash once we have the chance. Call Dan at: 9040 6467 he rent out canon equipment.:)

I agree that its necessary to get a flashgun for these type of event shots. Still if you are on a limited budget and dont intend to do this all the time you can ry making your own flash diffuser for your built in. Keep in mind unelss your camera has flash exposure compensation you might end up being under exposed a little.

2 examples
http://www.listsanddiagrams.com/archives/2005/10/diffuser.htm

and my own project (need to use tracing paper instead as the normal paper is too strong)

Camera + Jelly container = raptorsphere
No time to test it out cause i'm using film. Will be trying to borrow a 300d or 350d to test my design properly :D

Ong_23 said:
I hope to learn first then when I am better at it then I will consider to go into photography

Well it will take a while and a few weddings - also get someone to teach you, read books on wedding photography (which you will need to modify for the local context - can't recall any book that teaches you about tea ceremony for eg.).

An alternative is to look for an "automatic" non-TTL flash like a Metz 32 Z-1 (now no more in production I think) for about $120-140. Many people have better results with such flashes until they get used to Canon's E-TTL system.

For weddings, you should have a better lens than the 18-55. It is a decent lens for general use esp when you can use F8 to F11. But at larger apertures the picture quality is not great.

The 50 1.8 II idea is a good one. Or look for a 24mm 2.8 for about $250.

Ong_23 said:

u still didn't say if u r the only photographer.
for something like wedding,
best if u don't do ur training there.
its once in a life time n not nice to keep repeating certain acts.

jude

Agreed. If you re the only photographer, suggest you better don do it yourself.

to step into wedding photography is not just know how to take photos with your camera.
you need to know when to capture those important moments. you need to know what to do if your camera 'IA'....do you have a back up? you need to know how to lead the whole wedding as when the wedding couple is unsure of what to do.....you have to give instructions. how to arrange for tea ceremony, how to arrange for group photos, etc.......:)

Status
Not open for further replies.