what to do in economic crisis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

htthach

Feb 26, 2006
dover
My country's economy is on the slope.
Stock market down 60% within a year, inflation 25% :-s, and expected to be 40% :cry:
what should I do? actually what should my dad do? (as i don have any VND, I'm earning Yen :sweat:)
buying gold? USD? stock?:sweat:

Stock market down 60% within a year, inflation 25% :-s, and expected to be 40% :cry:
what should I do? actually what should my dad do? (as i don have any VND, I'm earning Yen :sweat:)

invest in bonds.

you dont get instant returns, but they will come in due time.

buy property in U.S. if you have the money. home prices have been beaten down quite heavily, and if this helps, Temasek is actually sourcing for investment opportunities in U.S. Real Estate.

i think keeping yourself your investments as liquid as possible would be a better thing to do. in an economic crisis, we don't know when we will get retrenched!

USD? Thought that he might be better off w S$ ...

Stay calm. Crisis is opportunity. :)

Although inflation is high, there are still bargains around.... companies with good fundamentals and property/land with potential is out there. Yen is stable mah. You might even able to get better/higher exchange rate if you remit your saving back to your home country(Especially if it is on the slope).

it's not for me
it's for my father
he has a VND which tends to go down pretty fast recently
and bring money out of VN is very unlikely, unless u have connection
because there's a limit of 5000 USD per trip.

keep cash and wait for USA to annouce recession as official and buy US stocks like Apple, MacDonalds..

keep cash and wait for USA to annouce recession as official and buy US stocks like Apple, MacDonalds..

Sounds like a repeat of the 1997-1998 Asian Finiancial Crisis.

Anyone who benefitted from the crisis or advice to learn with hindsight. Please share.

Sounds like a repeat of the 1997-1998 Asian Finiancial Crisis.

Anyone who benefitted from the crisis or advice to learn with hindsight. Please share.

It is not the same. The Asian Financial Crisis back in 97-98 only affect part of Asia and those who are caught by falling share prices and devalued currency.

The current crisis confronting us is a mixture of rising prices, high interest, slowing demand and global credit crunch.

I am no financial whiz...... only know when time is bad, just make sure I don't incur too much debt and try to survive the storm. :devil:

dow plunged 394.64 points due to a surge in crude futures due to the weaker USD that was incited from a jump in US jobless data.

basically, while the US and the western world were relatively unscathed during the 97 AFC, they're the ones getting hit really badly in this credit crisis. watch out for more drama to come. this inflation is going to kill us all ultimately. the governments really have to do something about the speculation thats going on in commodity markets, or else their prices are just going to get higher and higher and higher, until the point when the hedge funds decide its time to pull out.

dow plunged 394.64 points due to a surge in crude futures due to the weaker USD that was incited from a jump in US jobless data.

basically, while the US and the western world were relatively unscathed during the 97 AFC, they're the ones getting hit really badly in this credit crisis. watch out for more drama to come. this inflation is going to kill us all ultimately. the governments really have to do something about the speculation thats going on in commodity markets, or else their prices are just going to get higher and higher and higher, until the point when the hedge funds decide its time to pull out.

... the best is yet to come (if u short-sell) ;)

stop BBB gear

most of my gears sold when i moved to Tokyo
now only 24-105 and 85mm :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.