what to do if you get tired of closing one eye while taking pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
hi,

for a long shooting session, do your eyes get tired after 1-2 hours of photo taking?
i mean after a while, my eye will not be able to blinked for long while i try to compose the shots....

is there any gadgets/accessories to help me solve this problem, other than getting an eye patch over the eye that is suppose to close when i view thru the viewfinder....

do you all have the same problem, or is it just me.....
btw, i find that i consistently use my right eye to focus thru viewfinder and never the left eye.... anyone can use both eyes? hmmmm......

pls advise...... thanks

Try to shoot with both your eyes open. See if you can choose which eye to look from when you put your camera to your face. Advantage of this is that some people can put their camera to their right eye, compose from there, or if the subject moves out of the viewfinder, use their left eye (without the camera leaving their face) to see where the subject has moved, and adjust accordingly.

I was shooting macro for 3 week straight, then went for eye check-up. Discovered that eye power become 17/20!! Used to be 20/20 3 month ago, LOL dun know if its related:dunno: maybe try shooting with left eye liao, too train it back:bsmilie:

i shoot with my left eye even though my master eye is the right eye. instinctive, just pick up and place the VF to my left eye ever since i first held a SLR. and i MF often to good results! :bsmilie:

i keep both eyes wide open.

It does affect the eye. That's why bright viewfinders are important.

My right eye renders warm colors while my left eye renders cool colors. Very obvious when I look through a long telephoto lens with both eyes. I think my right eye is aging faster then my left eye..... Wish someone would invent a camera with left and right eye viewfinders..... we're stuck with this single viewfinder convention since the earliest days....
;p

I'm a left-eyed shooter (I heard we're quite rare) but after hours of continuous shooting (I keep right eye closed) the vision goes blurry in my right eye whilst my left remains sharp. Weird huh?

Phildate said:
I'm a left-eyed shooter (I heard we're quite rare) but after hours of continuous shooting (I keep right eye closed) the vision goes blurry in my right eye whilst my left remains sharp. Weird huh?

That is the bane of shooting. I get that way especially when I am shooting at random on the street or some event. I am a "right eye" as in a right handed so using my left eye is almost impossible. If I can concentrate on view with my left, I can't seem to compose the shot or be "sharp" at timing my shot for crucial moments. So have to live with the fact after such an outing, I will have a blurry left eye for a couple of hours heheh...

To lessen the time for recovery, i would do some eyes exercises. The two I use is the eye ball stretch. You start by looking straight ahead. Then you look up without moving your head. Just move your eye to look up to the highest point. Hold it there for 2 seconds and then return back to eye level again. Then do the same but look as far down this time and hold for 2 seconds....then back to eye level again. Then do the same for the extreme left and right. Do this a few sets and you will feel abit tired with the eyes but it will exercise the eyeballs and it helps you to strengthen tired eyes and also the muscle that controls the eyes..this had helped me recover and relax my eyes better.

The other is using your hands...by cupping each eye socket with your palm. You cup with out touch yoru eyeball but just like seal your palm around each eye ball socket. The warm of your palm has a relaxing and calming effect. Hold it there for about 30 seconds or more. Just some suggestion.

Zplus said:

My right eye renders warm colors while my left eye renders cool colors. Very obvious when I look through a long telephoto lens with both eyes. I think my right eye is aging faster then my left eye..... Wish someone would invent a camera with left and right eye viewfinders..... we're stuck with this single viewfinder convention since the earliest days....
;p

Actually that was why I love my former F3 HP...with the 'HP' being "high eye point" being that the view finder is larger(in fact the whole removeable piece makes your F3 look big headed heheh), can view further back (distance of eye to viewfinder - lower magnification compared to the mormal viewfinder) and more well lit instrumentation interior. Although it was catere to those who wears glasses while looking into the viewfinder, for folks like me who don't wear them, it was a more comfortable viewfinder to use. I would not mind if they make a comeback today...but I guess they will only have that for the Pro lines.

Zplus said:

;p

Huh...Oh Oh,what happened when you utilise both eyes at the same time; one side of a person will be cool and the other warm :think:

so would getting the enlarged cup for the viewfinder actually help?

tried using both eyes before.... but dun seem to be able to focus well.... too much distraction on the other eye that is not on the viewfinder...
usually open my left eye only when cannot tahan the act of closing it.. muscles tired...

hmm..... looks like i am not alone in this headache.....

erictan8888 said:
is there any gadgets/accessories to help me solve this problem, other than getting an eye patch over the eye that is suppose to close when i view thru the viewfinder....

I'd guess do the same what's recommended for other kind of eye-straining work as well: take frequent breaks.

i usually either try switching eyes or keep both of them opened like what nerd mentioned..

sadly one of my eys got v high degree and I'm not comfortable wearing spec or soft lens, so only can use one eyes. But I never close it. I just place the camera so it cover one of my eye. Until now I cannot close one eye *shy*

Phildate said:

I'm a left-eyed shooter too and kept both eyes open while shooting.. My master eye is left but my master hand is right so my fren said i'm a weird person.. haha :bsmilie:

i used to shoot with my right eyes closed but same here will end up having blurry right eye after long hours.. so resorted to opening both eyes to shoot now.. it certainly does help. :)

simply u open it...till u need to really compose and focus it...then u close...

open both eyes at all time..

this is essential if you are shooting sports like soccer, the other eye can help u keep a lookout for onrushing players/balls..;)

I used to have my left eye closed.
I tried so many times with both eyes open, but
both eyes become OOF. :bsmilie:

ahahah

My pic quite sharp with both eyes close....
:p

Yes, an opthalmologist (aiyoh, how to spell that man, sorry if it is wrong) told me that your prefered eye normally goes short sighted faster as you use it more and strain it more. Generally you develope a permanent cramp. And happens very often to photographers.

Learn to shoot both eyes open, and alternate the usage of left and right eyes. Lastly, you can also try to design an add-on to make the viewfinder cup over BOTH eyes :).

Status
Not open for further replies.