what to do if u get caught!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

klein

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
when taking street photographs what do u do when get caught like when taking the person from the back or when stealthly?

eg. how do u answer them so they dun flare up, or have u all experience those movie kind of situation where they demand yr flim to be taken away or had the camera destroyed etc?

another question when u want to shoot the person in front of them, what do u usually do to achieve it? do u ask first or just shoot?

being stealthy and hiding seems to be a bad idea. The few times i actually take photos in the street... i try to be open abt it. Pple would come talk to me, ask me why i taking. One asked me to join in with their taichi session. Just smile and be friendly.

If they just stare, be cool n smile back
if u cant do it, try leaving asap
if they kick up a fuss..
u either leave asap or give in to them
afterall u r not in the right..;p

The only sin in street photography is not getting the shot.

Don't skulk around sneakily, because you will surely be noticed and watched. Walk around like a tourist, with your camera clearly visible, and you will become invisible. If your subject looks at you when you take the picture, all the better - eye contact "makes" many of my shots.

"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars - you have a right to be here." (and take photographs of people on the streets). Why should you worry about getting "caught"? You are not doing anything wrong, just pursuing your hobby. That's my standard reply to anyone who asks: " It's just my hobby." Broad smile. Flex my biceps. Get ready to run. In that order.

One way is to mount an impressive setup and carry it around. People think you're a professional taking photos for job. They literally treat you as invisible. I experienced that before although mine was a puny setup. People just ignore me. Maybe to them a big flash was an impressive setup. :bsmilie:

Another way is to use LCD to compose your shots and use your eyes + head to look as if you're capturing something else. But this won't work for SLR/DSLR users though.

If people ask you to stop, just stop. Don't insist it's your hobby it's your camera. It doesn't work. You have brains people have brawns. It's not advisable to mix them since they can never be mixed.

Having an ultra long zoom lens help too, people can't see where you're focusing. Mount on tripod even better. People think you're taking scenary.

however, if ur a voyeur who just wants pics of pretty girl, very hard to seem.. natural.

If you think the lady is worth a shot. Ask for permission. Mother nature created beautiful things, and taking them down in photos are good, but if you take it just to collect and lust over them then I don't think the right mentality is there for you to have a camera.

And voyuer pics often lead people to think you're going to abuse their pics, so if you get caught, very good luck to you. If you ask, at least you can get rejected or allowed to in a very nice way without having to creep around and owning a 12x zoom camera with IS.

You might just be better off being part of the SG****.com editorial team.

Originally posted by espn
One way is to mount an impressive setup and carry it around. People think you're a professional taking photos for job. They literally treat you as invisible. I experienced that before although mine was a puny setup. People just ignore me. Maybe to them a big flash was an impressive setup. :bsmilie:

So only "professionals" takes street photography? :nono: I took more street pics with my ex-JVC P&S cam, then my current D60.

Another way is to use LCD to compose your shots and use your eyes + head to look as if you're capturing something else. But this won't work for SLR/DSLR users though.

If people ask you to stop, just stop. Don't insist it's your hobby it's your camera. It doesn't work. You have brains people have brawns. It's not advisable to mix them since they can never be mixed.

Having an ultra long zoom lens help too, people can't see where you're focusing. Mount on tripod even better. People think you're taking scenary.

Not a real good idea tho. Esp when taking girls shots, being sneaky will only make yourself looks suspicious. Worst case, you might end up in a nasty scene.

Tell them, talk to them, explain to them, either before or after the shot, if there's a need, let them know what's going on. Who knows, they might actually like the shot and pay you for some prints? ;)

A friendly chat worths more then any impressive setup.

Just my 0.02 cents :)

I seriously feel that those with camera phones and use them for voyeurism purposes really spoilt the market. Who knows maybe one fine day the authorities might just ban all cameras at selected places.

Just in my opinion, having a impressive setup may prove to scare away people even more, as they may think you are from the press or something. Generally, Singaporeans aren't very friendly.

I shoot mainly kids when streetshooting...
I do it openly..The word 'Caught' does not apply to me..its just whether I'm confronted by people who doesn't want their pictures taken anot...

well i actually interested in taking pics of man on the street not chiobu like those ah peh pushing carts or working etc or foreign workers or any other things.

but erm how u approach the subject actually??? like is it appropriate to just ask them like erm can i take a photo of u?

any ways to suggest?

get caught? just run away.

then what else do u expect??

Originally posted by clive
get caught? just run away.

then what else do u expect??

Like that means you are guilty!

If confronted, and if you are using a digital cam, you can show the picture to whoever concern. Tell them that it's not for any commercial purpose, and if they are still unhappy then offer to delete the picture away. AND REALLY DO DELETE IT!

Of course, if you happen to be confronted by aggressive people who treatened to beat you up, then run to the nearest police post!

Originally posted by astroller
Like that means you are guilty!

If confronted, and if you are using a digital cam, you can show the picture to whoever concern. Tell them that it's not for any commercial purpose, and if they are still unhappy then offer to delete the picture away. AND REALLY DO DELETE IT!

Of course, if you happen to be confronted by aggressive people who treatened to beat you up, then run to the nearest police post!

huh then use flim how? eject flim and give him is it?

acutually u all havent answer me leh, how to ask the subject can take pic of them or not? just ask is it or must start conversation first?

if streetshooting, telling them that u are shooting and them noeing that someone is shooting or them posing defeats the purpose..

Just Shoot Them.
(with the cam, lah!)

Of course if you can go in a group, no one will bother much with you. That's what outings sometimes can be for.... :p

Originally posted by klein

acutually u all havent answer me leh, how to ask the subject can take pic of them or not? just ask is it or must start conversation first?

"hi. Can I take a picture of u?"

or

"hi. Can I take a picture of u n ur frenz?"

or

"hi. Can I take a picture of u n ur dog?"

or

"hi. Can I take a picture of u reading ur book?"

blah blah blah .....

For me, me juzt go forward n shoot. If they dont like, me juzt smile back at them n walk away.

:D

I think, when the scene is worthy to capture, to capture it first and think about it later may be best ... Personal experience ... got these two images... nothing artistic ... but will remain in mind for along long time.

faces in MRT Rush Hour

regards

You have to be bold and smile a lot!!! One tip is to use a longer lens so you don't have to be close to your subject for the shot.

Here's a link to some "street photography" I did last Saturday...

Status
Not open for further replies.