What to do if image not sharp

kpyip

Oct 10, 2009
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what to do if image take not sharp and color not outstanding?
Need to service the lens?
Need calibration?
:(

post pictures please with data/exif intact.

Did you check your camera settings?

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what to do if image take not sharp and color not outstanding?
Need calibration?

according to some people, it is because they are using a particular brand and are limited by their equipment.

there could be many reasons though:

1) handshake, this could be due to too slow shutter speed for focal length, or improper handholding technique.

2) poor lens quality, most consumer grade lens will be ok at reasonably stopped down apertures though, but that will limit you in light. a bright day out in the sun will not be a problem in any case though.

3) over-high ISO used causing IQ degradation and loss of details

the list goes on.... as you can see, it could very well be non-exhaustive.

improperly calibrated lens will only be one factor in the whole equation. more often than not it is usually user fault though. :bsmilie:

My moda of operandi always is to ask myself first what did I do wrong. It is the easier way to check if you already know beyond your basis photography. If you are not even that, hardware is the least of your reason for blaming. Look at your photo. Look at the data that is contain in it.. see what happen by looking at what shutter speed was use? What aperture was used? Did you snatch the shutter trigger? Was your subject moving too fast? Too slow? Were you on manual mode? did you compensate an exposure shot and forgot to reset it? alot of this details you can find in your camera preview or with one of those photo view S/Ws. I can think of many things that could have contributed to me to making a bad shot before I even start to blame the equipment.

Sorry... you must be wonder why I jump to this conclusion? It is because you are actually asking bro. Most with enough photographic experience would be looking at themselves and handling technique first and only after which equipment will considered and they will not be phrasing their question this way. heh.

Upload your shot and let's analyze it? Help you sharpen your skills.

Last edited:
improve handholding
increase shutter speed
reduce ISO if too high
increase ISO if too low
use monopod / tripod
use mirror lock-up
use remote release / cable release
use smaller aperture from wide open
buy better lens
calibrate lens
clean lens/filter
check for fungus
check eye

Hi,
Need calibration?

Learn how to use your camera? Read the manual?

Post a picture with EXIF intact and we can see what you're talking about. Color issues are usually not due to the lens, and "not sharp" images can have 1001 reasons.

post ur pic here, let us point it out for u....^^

Hi,
Need calibration?

1. Pick a sunny day

2. Increase sharpness in camera setting

3. Set colour to vivid

4. Set focusing to center-weighted; lock focus (press shutter button half way down) using centre of frame and recompose

5. Shoot pictures with the sun behind you

6. Use Auto or Program mode

Note: On a sunny day, the camera will generally pick F5.6 or F8.0 with a relatively fast shutter speed. That'll give you good DOF and minimise camera shake

You should be able to get a decent picture with the above settings.

Last edited:
Hi,
Need calibration?

Personally, I would do controlled trials to:

1) Eliminate user error
2) Eliminate incorrect settings
3) Identify the cause of the problem
4) Identify exactly which bodies/lenses are in error
4) Eliminate any possible alternative causes, or note them
5) Take the necessary steps to rectify the issue(s), if any.