What to buy with D90 kit budget on a Kx ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kof88

Nov 14, 2009
After reading reviews, I'm thinking of dumping the idea of getting D90 with 18-105mm lens and get a Kx instead.

With the same budget as D90, what can I get and what should i get for Kx?

50mm F1.4? 35mm? Tamron 17-50 F2.8? This is a few I could think of..

After reading reviews, I'm thinking of dumping the idea of getting D90 with 18-105mm lens and get a Kx instead.

get what you need.

If you are a hobbyist, up to you what you want to buy. But if going to use for a living then spend on what you need.

eg, if you are going to do events plus have money to spend then Sigma (17-70 F2.8~F4 + 70-200 F2.8) or on the budget side the kit Pentax (18-55 + 55-300) or even at least a 18-200mm will do.

take into account money for flash, batteries, memory cards and etc including filters.

Really depends what you want to do. To be fair to the D90, its quite a popular model with wedding photographers.

D90 is a very nice camera. But Kx is better in many ways ;) Glad you decide to go w/ Kx.

A D90 plus the 18-105 kit lens would cost around $1600SGD? With that amount of money, you can buy:

Kx w/ kit lens 18-55 (sorry, you have to buy the kit lens 'cause it's bundled w/ every purchase): $950
DA35/2.8 macro: $750
Or FA43/1.9: $800
Or FA50/1.4: $400 plus some cash left over for future purchase
Or a few manual prime lenses from 28 to 200mm.

Personally I'd go w/ the Kx kit plus a FA50 or DA35/2.8 macro, keep the extra money (if go w/ the FA50) for future purchase.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
can buy the 2 lens kit on amazon too :) 1.2k for 2 lens still got $400 to keep

My sister got her D90 for $1.8k+ last Christmas, so it could be possible that the price has dropped by 200 although I have doubts. $1.2k for a twin kit lenses is really cheap until lausai, considering that both lenses are stabilised courtesy of the in-body SR compared with the prices you'll be paying for such Nikon lenses; actually ANY lense you can mount on the Pentax is stabilised by then this is no secret here.

A very good friend of mine recently compared the D90 with the K20D and the K20D wins hands down. Now he is looking forward to buying the K-7 ;p:devil:

funny.. i had the 50/1.4, then i got a tamron 17-50/2.8 and stopped using the 50, so i sold it. now i don't use the 17-50 but use 35/2 instead. maybe one day i'll change my mind again. all 3 of them are good lenses but are so different that it depends on your shooting style.

so i suggest that you shoot with the dual/single kit for some time before figuring out what you like to shoot, what focal lengths you usually use, how fast you need your lens to be, save up more money, etc. but don't wait too long because lens prices just keep increasing.

anyone has any idea where i can try out the kx?
any idea what's the cost of pentax lens 18-105/200?

thanks in advance

A very good friend of mine recently compared the D90 with the K20D and the K20D wins hands down. Now he is looking forward to buying the K-7 ;p:devil:

good job... you have excellent poisoning skills :bsmilie:

good job... you have excellent poisoning skills :bsmilie:

The best poison is to put the DSLR into the poisonee's hands. This is the 2nd person I did that to, the first being my female colleague and she got the K20D and Tamron 17-50 and DA 50-200 WR . . .

No need to explain. They can see for themselves the great colours;p

The K7 is definitely tempting, but it will again hit back the D90 budget :(

Still yet to hands-on a Kx (not in sg right now) , how does it compare to smaller body like 500D? I don't really like Canon's grip in the xxxD series.

The best poison is to put the DSLR into the poisonee's hands. This is the 2nd person I did that to, the first being my female colleague and she got the K20D and Tamron 17-50 and DA 50-200 WR . . .

No need to explain. They can see for themselves the great colours;p

Felixcat, can you poison me with a k-x soon?

One quick question - I've seen sample photos of the k-x and they are very very GOOD. How does they compare to the K20D image quality? My main concern is image quality first and secondly, how it fits into my hands.

What I like in image quality are the graduation of colors and the sharpness direct from the camera itself... your advice and advice of others who know is greatly valued. So yes, please poison me deep deep :bsmilie:

Well there will be Pentax users using a variety of cameras including the K-x at our November meet-up. You can join in and get to talk to everyone including feedback from our regulars. You can see a lot of interesting Pentax glass on the cameras and I'm sure you'll get the answers you want first hand.

In terms of image quality, the current crop of cameras are already there. The question is not how good the camera is but whether you good enough to get the best out of it.

One quick question - I've seen sample photos of the k-x and they are very very GOOD. How does they compare to the K20D image quality? My main concern is image quality first and secondly, how it fits into my hands.

What I like in image quality are the graduation of colors and the sharpness direct from the camera itself... your advice and advice of others who know is greatly valued. So yes, please poison me deep deep :bsmilie:

if you are going to shoot jpeg exclusively, k20d and k-x are going to be able to produce sharp pics and nice colours. Work the Custom Image properties, which offers you 999x more custom parameters compared with others. If sharpness is your main priority, you may be glad to know that there are 3 types of different sharpness parameters to tweak your out-of-camera jpeg output.

personally favour the k20d's colour rendition more as it is still true to the character that Pentax has been known for.

for the k-x as the sensor is completely different, there's a deviation from that, but which is better is entirely subjective.

both bodies when combined with limited series lenses blow the competition away. they are so sharp and rich in colours your eyes can bleed. lenses play the most important part to sharpness.

on the other hand when you shoot raw, which camera body you choose will not matter as much as the colour, sharpness etc will depend on what you do with the raw convertor.

hope it helps :)

Thanks Creampuff and Elavan :)

Creampuff, understand where you're coming from. If that's the case, there's no worries about image quality and all i've to do is to focus on shooting better photos.

Elavan, yes it helps a lot. I'm a lot clearer now about this. May have to start shooting raw later on, currently everything i shoot is jpeg. Not too sure I'd like to bleed - making my eyes wide open, jaw drop and drool is enough. hahahahaha :D

Thank you for your explanation.

The K-x is a self induced poison as you have been lurking here long enough to get it . hehehe . . .

I use the K20D and my firend is going to buy the K-7 soon with the kit lens to start off.

The K-x is small to me as I tried and my little pinky finger is dangling in the air so I prefer the K20D.

Ok, I'm heading to HK this weekend.

I'm rather prepared for a KX already. What are the prices in Singapore (I havent even see a KX anywhere since I came back from melbourne) ?

I really want to have at least a 50mm F1.4 or FA43 to go with the Kit.

Any idea if HK will be cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.