What to bring - New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiorook

Jul 19, 2004
Yong Kang
Going to New Zealand in 2 weeks. Any advice on what photo equipment I should bring? Am using a D100 + 24-120 + 50mm + 18-35mm at the moment. Is there any need to have a 80-200 or 70-200 for the trip?

Should I shoot in RAW or just JPEG?

How about a photo hardrive thingie? You can rent from Adiemus.
If you get that then you can shoot in raw, download into the hardrive and shoot again. Still you may wanna bring two memory cards so you can still shoot while one card is in the photo hardrive. Don't forget extra battery and charger. Up to you. Maybe I'm just kia soo haha ;p

benedium said:
How about a photo hardrive thingie? You can rent from Adiemus.
If you get that then you can shoot in raw, download into the hardrive and shoot again. Still you may wanna bring two memory cards so you can still shoot while one card is in the photo hardrive. Don't forget extra battery and charger. Up to you. Maybe I'm just kia soo haha ;p

Thank you for the tip.

The memory card is worth considering.

I will be bringing my Notebook, so should think storage would not be a problem.

To the travel experts,

would a 24-120 be sufficient? or do I need to lug around the 18-35 and a 80-200 as well?

Considering that the West Coast of South Island (Fox glacier etc) is usually wet all years round, remember to have a way to protect your camera and lens if you intend to protect in the rain e.g. plastic cover for your cam.

eric69 said:
Considering that the West Coast of South Island (Fox glacier etc) is usually wet all years round, remember to have a way to protect your camera and lens if you intend to protect in the rain e.g. plastic cover for your cam.

Hmm.... indeed good tip!!!!

audiorook said:
To the travel experts,

would a 24-120 be sufficient? or do I need to lug around the 18-35 and a 80-200 as well?

80-200 will be a must if you intend to shoot some wildlife in dunedin , if you r planning for a self drive , bring it lah ..

Also bring circular polariser. :thumbsup:

poohbear said:
80-200 will be a must if you intend to shoot some wildlife in dunedin , if you r planning for a self drive , bring it lah ..

One of the biggest problem is ..... have not bought a 80-200 yet....

audiorook said:
One of the biggest problem is ..... have not bought a 80-200 yet....

haha stick to your 24 -120 den. Wake up early and sleep late to catch the day break and sunset shots . With the clear sky , you'll get a dramatic cloud patterns ...

Thank you all for the feedback. Please keep them coming.......

A graduated grey ND and 81A warm up filter, and maybe NDx2 or NDx4 for capturing silky smooth surf?

edlye said:
A graduated grey ND and 81A warm up filter, and maybe NDx2 or NDx4 for capturing silky smooth surf?

How abt lenses then? WOuld the 24-120 be sufficent? or should I have to get a 80-200 f2.8 just for this trip?

audiorook said:
How abt lenses then? WOuld the 24-120 be sufficent? or should I have to get a 80-200 f2.8 just for this trip?

Actually there is quite a lot of snow capped mountain and Valley.. Which if you want to have close magnified shoot.. It best to bring.. For me that time, I brought 35-80 mm and 75-300 mm. Tele are good for some unexpected wild life appear in front of you...

Enjoy yr trip... New Zealand IS REALLY A NICE PLACE.... :angel:

bringing your notebook computer or portable harddisk is optional...cos there's a lot of photolabs which offers burning of images from your memory cards to CDR for NZ$10.

bring circular polariser. power socket adapter.

audiorook said:
Going to New Zealand in 2 weeks. Any advice on what photo equipment I should bring? Am using a D100 + 24-120 + 50mm + 18-35mm at the moment. Is there any need to have a 80-200 or 70-200 for the trip?

Should I shoot in RAW or just JPEG?

i think 24-120 and 80-200 should be enuff.

u need to bring a tripod along since u will be taking a lot of landscape pics.

more cf cards or portable storage

Personally, I'd stick with the 24-120 and 50mm, with a sturdy tripod. I will be bringing a similar setup (28-135 and 50mm) when I make a trip to Oz later this year.

audiorook said:

Hi audiorook,

wow u going to nZ, i came back in Jan 05. it was beautiful!
Hmm no need to bring your laptop lah. I bought a compact drive + hard disk and every night, i will just download all my photos into the hard disk.

I only brought a digital camera n a 256MB CF card. that's all. :)

Yvisg said:
Hi audiorook,

wow u going to nZ, i came back in Jan 05. it was beautiful!
Hmm no need to bring your laptop lah. I bought a compact drive + hard disk and every night, i will just download all my photos into the hard disk.

I only brought a digital camera n a 256MB CF card. that's all. :)

I am actually bringing my notebook to keep in touch with my office/work.

By the way, what HDD size did you bring? Any recommended brand to buy? how many pix did you take in NZ?

I went NZ with only my 17-40mm and cir polariser.

Remember to bring your tripod and additional storage (laptop would suffice)

I took about a 100 pics a day. I was there for 15 days, so about 1500 pics.

Enjoy the land of the long white cloud! Lets hope you get clear blue skies though. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.