what the purpose of mini tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malkw

Jul 9, 2002
West
mini tripod is for macro shot?

mini tripod is for mini cameras. hahahah ok sorry just kidding. :D

actually i don't think mini tripods are specifically meant for macro shots, but perhaps more for a lighter, less bulkier support esp at places where you can have a table or wall to stand the mini tripod on. they're usually used for smaller cameras too (i'd like to see someone balance a medium format cam on a mini tripod...)

u use it on top of an existing stand like a table. usefull for taking portrait shots at home when ur relatives visit. also its for teeny cameras and generally not for outdoor use where its windy. its also quite handy to bring along.

what is the price range of a mini tripod?

I saw that ad too, may get it tomm. =) thanks for the detail info

checked today's Straits Times ...

no Carrefour ad, leh

check the TODAY paper (wed 17/07)

Mini tripods are weight savers. Gives you a lot of portability when you already carry too many stuff. Like when you are backpacking to great places for pictures.

I will recommend the Ultrapod II. Can be bought at CP. Has velcro strap on it. When the legs come together, the velcro can allow it to strap on a branch, fence or railing so it can act as a monopod.

What is est. price for that?
Originally posted by genie47
Mini tripods are weight savers. Gives you a lot of portability when you already carry too many stuff. Like when you are backpacking to great places for pictures.

I will recommend the Ultrapod II. Can be bought at CP. Has velcro strap on it. When the legs come together, the velcro can allow it to strap on a branch, fence or railing so it can act as a monopod.

Got it for 30 bucks. The bad thing about it is the awful plastic smell that comes from it. The Ultrapod I can be bought for a measely 22 bucks. Better go for the II.

Check the review or see it at the Pedco page.

You can also check this page to see pictures of its versatility.

Pedco also OEMs this product to some companies like REI as shown.
411006.jpg

genie47, how stable is the Ultra Pod 2 when you strap it to something? i got a pretty heavy setup (80-200mm lens with SLR + motor drive), so sagging might be a problem.i'm not talking about how tight the ball head can tighten but rather how firm the Velcro is when strapped to a chair or something...

Originally posted by firefox13
genie47, how stable is the Ultra Pod 2 when you strap it to something? i got a pretty heavy setup (80-200mm lens with SLR + motor drive), so sagging might be a problem.i'm not talking about how tight the ball head can tighten but rather how firm the Velcro is when strapped to a chair or something...

I wouldn't try it. Velcro is strong when they fasten but I will not risk damaging equipment from falling. Only used it on my P&S camera and G2.

Strapping it horizontally on a railing might not pose a problem but might be a problem vertically for your equipment.

I wouldn't try it. Velcro is strong when they fasten but I will not risk damaging equipment from falling. Only used it on my P&S camera and G2.
thanks genie... sigh was toying with the idea of just carrying a mini tripod around... guess i'll still have to lug my ol' trusty (but heavy) tripod around... :D

Got it for 30 bucks. The bad thing about it is the awful plastic smell that comes from it. The Ultrapod I can be bought for a measely 22 bucks. Better go for the II.

Check the review or see it at the Pedco page.

You can also check this page to see pictures of its versatility.

Pedco also OEMs this product to some companies like REI as shown.
411006.jpg

that's a cool mini-pod u have. actually i sourcing for one mini tripod, maybe this is the right one for me...:)

For those contemplating on this tripod, you check here at Photo.net to see what users have to say.

Interestingly, the Ultraclamp is mentioned as well.

411006.jpg

I almost got this tripod when i bought my F707 last time

it is much better than other mini tripod cos it is light, strong and easy to set up (cos it uses ball head)

however, it is not cheap...S$30+

Slik also have a mini tripod, the design is like normal tripod but it is much smaller...and it is cheaper than that plastic one above

however, it is not very stable, i place a 707 on it and the tripod topple!! (luckily that 707 is a display unit)

btw, i always have a mini tripod in my bag...it is a free gift but then it is not really stable for my D30....so u must paid extra caution when using mini tripod with SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.