what the purpose of mini tripod?


Status
Not open for further replies.

malkw

Senior Member
Jul 9, 2002
994
1
18
West
#1
mini tripod is for macro shot?
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
45
singapore
www.larryloh.com
#2
mini tripod is for mini cameras. hahahah ok sorry just kidding. :D

actually i don't think mini tripods are specifically meant for macro shots, but perhaps more for a lighter, less bulkier support esp at places where you can have a table or wall to stand the mini tripod on. they're usually used for smaller cameras too (i'd like to see someone balance a medium format cam on a mini tripod...)
 

maddog

New Member
Feb 13, 2002
1,277
0
0
Alexandra
maddog.clubsnap.org
#4
u use it on top of an existing stand like a table. usefull for taking portrait shots at home when ur relatives visit. also its for teeny cameras and generally not for outdoor use where its windy. its also quite handy to bring along.
 

malkw

Senior Member
Jul 9, 2002
994
1
18
West
#8
I saw that ad too, may get it tomm. =) thanks for the detail info
 

G

genie47

Guest
#12
Mini tripods are weight savers. Gives you a lot of portability when you already carry too many stuff. Like when you are backpacking to great places for pictures.

I will recommend the Ultrapod II. Can be bought at CP. Has velcro strap on it. When the legs come together, the velcro can allow it to strap on a branch, fence or railing so it can act as a monopod.
 

cillin

New Member
Apr 17, 2002
397
0
0
48
Jurong West
Visit site
#13
What is est. price for that?
Originally posted by genie47
Mini tripods are weight savers. Gives you a lot of portability when you already carry too many stuff. Like when you are backpacking to great places for pictures.

I will recommend the Ultrapod II. Can be bought at CP. Has velcro strap on it. When the legs come together, the velcro can allow it to strap on a branch, fence or railing so it can act as a monopod.
 

G

genie47

Guest
#14
Got it for 30 bucks. The bad thing about it is the awful plastic smell that comes from it. The Ultrapod I can be bought for a measely 22 bucks. Better go for the II.

Check the review or see it at the Pedco page.

You can also check this page to see pictures of its versatility.

Pedco also OEMs this product to some companies like REI as shown.
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
45
singapore
www.larryloh.com
#15
Originally posted by genie47
I will recommend the Ultrapod II. Can be bought at CP. Has velcro strap on it. When the legs come together, the velcro can allow it to strap on a branch, fence or railing so it can act as a monopod.
genie47, how stable is the Ultra Pod 2 when you strap it to something? i got a pretty heavy setup (80-200mm lens with SLR + motor drive), so sagging might be a problem.i'm not talking about how tight the ball head can tighten but rather how firm the Velcro is when strapped to a chair or something...
 

G

genie47

Guest
#16
Originally posted by firefox13
genie47, how stable is the Ultra Pod 2 when you strap it to something? i got a pretty heavy setup (80-200mm lens with SLR + motor drive), so sagging might be a problem.i'm not talking about how tight the ball head can tighten but rather how firm the Velcro is when strapped to a chair or something...
I wouldn't try it. Velcro is strong when they fasten but I will not risk damaging equipment from falling. Only used it on my P&S camera and G2.

Strapping it horizontally on a railing might not pose a problem but might be a problem vertically for your equipment.
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
45
singapore
www.larryloh.com
#17
Originally posted by genie47
I wouldn't try it. Velcro is strong when they fasten but I will not risk damaging equipment from falling. Only used it on my P&S camera and G2.
thanks genie... sigh was toying with the idea of just carrying a mini tripod around... guess i'll still have to lug my ol' trusty (but heavy) tripod around... :D
 

Perry

New Member
Jul 7, 2002
258
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#18
Originally posted by genie47
Got it for 30 bucks. The bad thing about it is the awful plastic smell that comes from it. The Ultrapod I can be bought for a measely 22 bucks. Better go for the II.

Check the review or see it at the Pedco page.

You can also check this page to see pictures of its versatility.

Pedco also OEMs this product to some companies like REI as shown.
that's a cool mini-pod u have. actually i sourcing for one mini tripod, maybe this is the right one for me...:)
 

G

genie47

Guest
#19
For those contemplating on this tripod, you check here at Photo.net to see what users have to say.

Interestingly, the Ultraclamp is mentioned as well.
 

Wai

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
5,270
0
36
39
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
#20


I almost got this tripod when i bought my F707 last time

it is much better than other mini tripod cos it is light, strong and easy to set up (cos it uses ball head)

however, it is not cheap...S$30+

Slik also have a mini tripod, the design is like normal tripod but it is much smaller...and it is cheaper than that plastic one above

however, it is not very stable, i place a 707 on it and the tripod topple!! (luckily that 707 is a display unit)

btw, i always have a mini tripod in my bag...it is a free gift but then it is not really stable for my D30....so u must paid extra caution when using mini tripod with SLR
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom