What the difference between Digital Flash and Analog Flash (old type)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesmondLeong

Aug 2, 2005
Woodlands
What the difference between Digital Flash and Analog Flash (old type),
if I am using DSLR, i have to buy Digital flash instead of old type flash?

Without getting too technical...

1) One works in tandem with modern DSLRs and includes preflash functions for metering, incorporates advanced microprocessors and usually features low flash triggering voltages,

2) No, it's absolutely possible to use analog flash units with DSLRs. Just be sure to check the flash triggering voltage limit of your camera body, and the flash triggering voltage of the particular flash unit you're interested in (Google). Some advanced systems like the Metz SCA may still give you TTL functions on particular models with the appropriate SCA adapters.

Without getting too technical...

1) One works in tandem with modern DSLRs and includes preflash functions for metering, incorporates advanced microprocessors and usually features low flash triggering voltages,

2) No, it's absolutely possible to use analog flash units with DSLRs. Just be sure to check the flash triggering voltage limit of your camera body, and the flash triggering voltage of the particular flash unit you're interested in (Google). Some advanced systems like the Metz SCA may still give you TTL functions on particular models with the appropriate SCA adapters.

Now the question is :

1. How to check the flash triggering voltage limit of the camera body.
2. How to check the Flash triggering voltage of the flash unit.

Thanks...

Actually, it's not absolutely impossible to use analog flashes with dSLRs. You can if you use radio triggers or IR-triggers... aka wireless flash.

Most dSLRs have a limit of 6V or so for triggering flashes. Old type flashes trigger voltage go up to a couple of hundred volts (though I'm not quite sure how they upregulate the voltage from 4AA's). I believe you can use a multimeter to touch the central pin and a pin at the side of the hotshoe and then test fire. You gotta check up more on that though...

Actually, it's not absolutely impossible to use analog flashes with dSLRs. You can if you use radio triggers or IR-triggers... aka wireless flash.

Most dSLRs have a limit of 6V or so for triggering flashes. Old type flashes trigger voltage go up to a couple of hundred volts (though I'm not quite sure how they upregulate the voltage from 4AA's). I believe you can use a multimeter to touch the central pin and a pin at the side of the hotshoe and then test fire. You gotta check up more on that though...

If flash trigger voltage over, will it damage the flash or the camera ?
sorry I'm a " Out Door Man " :dunno:

If flash trigger voltage over, will it damage the flash or the camera ?
sorry I'm a " Out Door Man " :dunno:

Google: (key words used: flash trigger voltage list - 'list' was auto-suggested)
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
http://www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php?action=read&FORUM_THREAD_ID=858828
Enough?

Haha! Guess you got your answer: Yes, it will FRY your circuits. :bsmilie:

Haha! Guess you got your answer: Yes, it will FRY your circuits. :bsmilie:

That mean is better to buy original flash to match your camera body instead of 3rd party flash ???

That mean is better to buy original flash to match your camera body instead of 3rd party flash ???

It is better to know and to make decisions based on facts instead of hearsay. Lot's of 3rd party flashes around, read up about the limitations, then decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.