What stks to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbuff

Aug 18, 2004
www.pbase.com
Hi any experts in here.

Assuming I have liquidity of 50k for about 6 weeks, what stk(s) will u get?

Currently have Capitaland & Starhub.

digitalbuff said:
Hi any experts in here.

What is your style, FA or TA?

K1venture or Chinasun.
Chinasun has found a way to produce petroleum from starch...so coz of oild prices..this share will earn money
K1Venture has recently sold off its oil rigs so it has a big amount of cash now...they will either invest or give to shareholders...their oil rigs also not that badly affect by hurricanes

JediForce4ever said:
K1venture or Chinasun.
Chinasun has found a way to produce petroleum from starch...so coz of oild prices..this share will earn money
K1Venture has recently sold off its oil rigs so it has a big amount of cash now...they will either invest or give to shareholders...their oil rigs also not that badly affect by hurricanes

Hmm... can consider. Thanks

jeffhiew said:
What is your style, FA or TA?

Sorry what is FA or TA, risk apetite? I am more inclined towards higher risks at this moment in my life.

for 6 weeks, i would go for the higher interest being paid for 'unfixed' deposits. no stock, time horizon is too short.

digitalbuff said:
Hi any experts in here.

Astin said:
Any 1 of the 3 local banks...

From Daiwa which has a outperform for DBS:

Investment summary
We maintain our 2 (Outperform) rating on DBS Group (DBS), our top pick in the
Singapore banking sector, and have raised our six-month target price to S$19.00 (from
S$17.80) based on a 2006 PER objective of 13.8x, the current average of its peers.
Fundamentals
· We have not changed our target-price methodology, based on a 2006 PER parity
with the average of United Overseas Bank (UOB) (UOB SP, S$14.60, 3) and
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp (OCBC) (OCBC SP, S$6.55, 3). This target reflects
our positive view that DBS’s industry-leading earnings growth of 20% YoY (Daiwa
forecast) next year (versus our forecasts of growth of 10% YoY for OCBC and 2%
YoY for UOB) will wipe out its current 2006 PER discount to the rest of the sector.
· We have observed that the average PER of UOB and OCBC, based on our 2006
forecasts, has improved gradually and stabilised at 13.8x since their 3Q05 results
announcements, up from 12.9x on 28 October 2005, when we last pegged DBS’s
target price.
· We expect some minor distortions in the GAAP EPS and cash-EPS ratios for DBS
following its announcement on 30 November of the sale and leaseback (for an
initial period of eight years) of its DBS Building office complex for S$690m. DBS
will recognise a gain of S$300m in 4Q05, and defer a S$150m capital gain, which
will be amortised over the eight-year-lease period, according to the company.
· However, our forecast for core-EPS growth (excluding the S$300m gain in FY05
from the building disposal) of 20% for FY06 has not changed. In line with
management’s guidance, we expect the transaction to be EPS neutral from 2006, as
annual interest income from the cash proceeds and the amortisation of the
remaining S$150m capital gain will be just enough to offset higher leasing expenses
and the loss of rental income.

This reminds me a stock forum many years ago, very happening ones, got old birds, new birds, professional, conman, every type also have, we used to buy together and sell together, monitoring the price every minute, a lot of fun, those were the days...

Astin said:
This reminds me a stock forum many years ago, very happening ones, got old birds, new birds, professional, conman, every type also have, we used to buy together and sell together, monitoring the price every minute, a lot of fun, those were the days...

Astin, we can do it again. ;p

CS become everything under the sun for me now.

I am part of the Torchlight, Winter Shoe, Singlish .... sub forums :)

digitalbuff said:
Astin, we can do it again. ;p

CS become everything under the sun for me now.

I am part of the Torchlight, Winter Shoe, Singlish .... sub forums :)
Soon, u will come and ask ppl which diaper is best for babies??:bsmilie:

small companies have big price movements, big companies have small price movements. i would also tink that 6 weeks belongs to punter (hit-and-run) category with extremely short term, in which cases, is unlikely to make any capital appreciation outta ur principal amount. the best is to keep ur money untouched. :)

user12343 said:
small companies have big price movements, big companies have small price movements. i would also tink that 6 weeks belongs to punter (hit-and-run) category with extremely short term, in which cases, is unlikely to make any capital appreciation outta ur principal amount. the best is to keep ur money untouched. :)

True I am a novice investor but so far i turn around every 2-3 months with 5-10% returns. Lucky streak i guess. Must diversify more to reduce the sector risk however, as I only trade SG, i cant diversify the country risk.

Today I sold Capitaland and made 10% after holding on to it for about 3 months.

I think Biosensor is a good buy now (unless you are affected by the suit against it for patent infringement) It dropped >10% today. I feel can get it at anything <$1.10

ocbc... dont know much about it but i know i have alot of stocks which i cant touch till i turn 21 :sweat:

digitalbuff said:
True I am a novice investor but so far i turn around every 2-3 months with 5-10% returns. Lucky streak i guess. Must diversify more to reduce the sector risk however, as I only trade SG, i cant diversify the country risk.

Today I sold Capitaland and made 10% after holding on to it for about 3 months.

I think Biosensor is a good buy now (unless you are affected by the suit against it for patent infringement) It dropped >10% today. I feel can get it at anything <$1.10

Don't take this the wrong way, but rather take it as advice from a kind doctor:

Don't mistake a bull for brains.

In other words, in a bull run, anyone can make money. The trick is in keeping it.

I would recommend doing some reading:

Firstly, try this: http://www.fool.com/school/basics/basics.htm

Then you might want to pick up this book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...104-7758671-2322337?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

(also available as a pdf download for US$1.99)

How about doing some reading first?

Currently I am also reading alot on investing...
Try reading books on Warren buffett (US richest investor).

Or books by Benjamin Graham (buffett's mentor)
1)intelligent investor
2)security analysis

Another book will be the 10myths of wall streets.
#1 buy and keep does not work

You make a profit becos I think ur just lucky. Cos 05 is a Bull Market. U neber know wat gonna happen 06.
No pple also expected blue chip company to drop more than 50% of its value

Buffett rule on investing
#1 Don lost your capital
#2 Don forget rule #1

Maybe is too much theory .. But I think is useful to pound on the knowledge before losing $ in the market. Not many pple can beat the market.

if you need the $$ 6 weeks later, I suggest you put your $$ somewhere safe or safer than stocks. Buy equities only if it is spare cash to you.

If the horizon is slightly longer, you may want to consider buying 3-mth bills which is relatively attractive at >2.6% annualised yield.

Status
Not open for further replies.