what software u use to organize ur photos, Mac user only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

10-Dee-Q

Oct 19, 2006
hi, i want to know what is the best way to keep my pictures, be it RAW or JPEG in Mac.
by keep, i mean is organizing and filing ,and simple editing not major edit like CS 3 , thank you.

i'm using aperture. took me a few days to get used to its concepts and now i'm loving it a lot. you can also try lightroom.

aperture2, lightroom, iphoto, which one is better :( ???

more like aperture or lightroom. iphoto is like an entry level version of aperture.

whether aperture or lightroom is a personal decision. why dont you download the trial for both and see which you prefer?

They are all capable software. I use Lightroom, so I will say Lightroom is better. I did gave Aperture 2 a try but somehow felt that something is missing, but can't put my finger to what was missing. Lightroom felt 'right' for me. Also, if you use Photoshop CS3 for more creative editing, Lightroom provides a more seamless transition.

Both Lightroom and Aperture offers 30-day trials, download both and try them for yourself to see which suits you better.

Good luck!

I just import using EOS Utility into folders based on dates, then rename them as required.. Search using spotlight o.o

I just import using EOS Utility into folders based on dates, then rename them as required.. Search using spotlight o.o

i used to do that...organizing my photos using bridge cs3. now using aperture (or lightroom) which uses a concept of albums or views, i have more flexibility in organizing my photos.

for example if i have 2 categories - family and events. now i shoot a family event...should i put it under family or events? using aperture albums i can have the photos in both and yet only maintain 1 copy of the photo. you can also create smart albums which contain photos that meet a certain criteria. if you have used itunes and allowed it to manage your music...you would be already be familiar with how aperture works.

another benefit is the concept of versions and edit lists. the original photo is not modified when you edit it. instead an edit list is created and applied to the original photo. in aperture you would see the changed photo as a version. so although you can have many versions of the photo, there is really only one copy of the photo...a space saver. the good thing is the edit list is a very small file....maybe as small as 20k.

....... the original photo is not modified when you edit it. instead an edit list is created and applied to the original photo. in aperture you would see the changed photo as a version. so although you can have many versions of the photo, there is really only one copy of the photo...a space saver. the good thing is the edit list is a very small file....maybe as small as 20k.

Oh, initially I thought a new file will be created so in no time will finish up my HD space. Thanks Madmacs. I think I will give Aperture another try. My photos are in a mess now.

I am using Adobe Bridge to sort my pictures. It is a memory hogging software btw. Not for the weak of heart.

I am using Adobe Bridge to sort my pictures. It is a memory hogging software btw. Not for the weak of heart.

It is, it's making me feel i need a more powerful computer. I however like it as it blends well with photoshop. Making custom sized pictures for the internet is a breeze.

Used with photoshop's 'saved actions'- it saves a load on time making watermarks etc.

I'm staying on the bridge for a bit longer. :bsmilie:

Lightroom and aperture seem worthwhile to investigate when I have some expert nearby to ask. :lovegrin:

A new folder is created for each year. Subfolders are created for large numbers of related photos (eg. those that come from a single wedding). Other photos are pretty much arranged by name according to the country where they were taken, followed by the location and a little bit about the photo.

For example, a photo might have the name:

Australia- Brighton Beach Sails
Singapore- Pulau Ubin Stray Dog

No special software is used for organization. For editing RAW files I use DPP. Complex editing sees the use of Photoshop. Pretty basic. No extra outlay or cost needed.

It is, it's making me feel i need a more powerful computer. I however like it as it blends well with photoshop. Making custom sized pictures for the internet is a breeze.

Used with photoshop's 'saved actions'- it saves a load on time making watermarks etc.

I'm staying on the bridge for a bit longer. :bsmilie:

Lightroom and aperture seem worthwhile to investigate when I have some expert nearby to ask. :lovegrin:

i used to use bridge to organize my photos. but bridge was a hog on my dual g4 that many times i dropped files in the wrong folders...sometimes without even realizing. i only found my "missing" photos when i imported the folders into aperture :sweat:

speaking of watermarks, aperture allows you to export to different sizes with watermarks. you just need to create the watermark in photoshop. nowadays hardly need to edit in photoshop.

there is also a free 3rd party plugin called borderfx that you can export to. it gives you the black borders with stuff like copyright , exif, captions.

http://web.mac.com/reinharduebel/BorderFX/

have a go at aperture 2. it takes a bit of getting used to but its good to go after...

you fellas must learn/trust the computer to do the work for you. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.