What software do you use to edit raw files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KerKerK

Nov 9, 2009
Hi, i transfer all my raw files from my camera to my laptop. I try to open using photoshop, but photoshop can't open the file. Can anyone tell me what software do i need to use to edit my raw files? I am using a Nikon camera. Thanks.

u need to install adobe camera raw to get your photoshop able to read your raw

google it :)

use adobe lightroom 2

u need adobe raw (free with photoshop),

other choices (need to pay)
- Adobe Lightroom 2.6
- DXO Optics 6
- Nikon CaptureNX2
- Bibble 5
- Aperture (If you are using MAC)
- Phaseone Capture One 5

Use the software that was included in the box. It's actually quite decent.(No money to spend on pro software:bsmilie:)
I'm a canon user and i'm using the software, Digital Photo Professional, that was included when i bought my camera.

Like the others mentioned before me, you need to install? and update adobe camera raw for photoshop.
There are free RAW converters on the web. Just google.
:)

Thread starter may approach the question by using third party freeware to convert the RAW file and send the converted image to Photoshop via TIFF file. The software programs are:

-- Nikon ViewNX
-- Able RAWer
-- Rawtherapee
-- Stepok's Raw Importer
-- GIMP with UFRaw or UFRAW with GTK+2

Hi, i transfer all my raw files from my camera to my laptop. I try to open using photoshop, but photoshop can't open the file. Can anyone tell me what software do i need to use to edit my raw files? I am using a Nikon camera. Thanks.

...if you are using a nikon cam to capture raw images, then yr file type is .nef
microsoft window photo viewer is only able to display yr .nef files as thumbnails....you have to instal ViewNX (from nikon) to view all yr .nef images. you can also use this program to singly/batch convert yr .nef files to jpeg.....viewing jpeg files is not a problem after that.

...if you want to process/develop yr .nef files, then you have to instal 'NEF Codec' (online) to yr ViewNX

note: ViewNX is in the CD that comes with yr nikon camera purchase. when installing ViewNX, it will also prompt you to install NEF Codec thru' online installation.

Last edited:
This a decision strongly influenced first by the wallet then personal experience. If your camera came with its own software on a disk, start with it. Next, try the freebies and get to know a bit about workflow. As already mentioned there are a few excellent programs that are free. I have played with several of these with very nice results. I'm currently using Lightroom 2.6 and Adobe CS4.

Hello, KerKerK.
Seems to me you'd like to use Photoshop to PP your files. You may do this: Go to the Adobe Photoshop website to download the latest RAW plugin for the model of your Nikon camera. Once you have done that, you can read your (.NEF) files.

Like many others before me have mentioned. Using Adobe RAW (.DNG) is ideal. It keeps your RAW files in a Universal RAW format for easy access in the future. If you use PS CS4, when you download your photos from the camera, there is an option to convert the files to .DNG format.

Hello, KerKerK.
Seems to me you'd like to use Photoshop to PP your files. You may do this: Go to the Adobe Photoshop website to download the latest RAW plugin for the model of your Nikon camera. Once you have done that, you can read your (.NEF) files.

Like many others before me have mentioned. Using Adobe RAW (.DNG) is ideal. It keeps your RAW files in a Universal RAW format for easy access in the future. If you use PS CS4, when you download your photos from the camera, there is an option to convert the files to .DNG format.

camera raw is only for plugin to cs4 or lightroom. won't work for other versions of photoshop elements....right?

Thanks everyone. I don't think Photoshop CS3 support the plugin, so might get myself Lightroom.

camera raw is only for plugin to cs4 or lightroom. won't work for other versions of photoshop elements....right?

Thanks everyone. I don't think Photoshop CS3 support the plugin, so might get myself Lightroom.

Hmmm... I use the CS4.
I remember not long ago there was a discussion thread where the TS was using CS3 and he found the plugin for the RAW files for the new model of his Canon camera.
If you give me some time, let me see if I could find the thread.
Or maybe you can try searching for 'CS3' and 'Adobe plugin' on CS...
Will update you all if I find anything.

limwhow: many thanks.

cs3 has an existing camera raw plugin which may not be current to support yr present camera....you need to go to adobe website and look for the updated and right version of camera raw for cs3 & also to check that it supports yr camera. next is the installation part; abit tricky, but quite straight forward if you follow the 'camera raw readme' instructions.

lightroom 2.6 is the latest; but also have to check that it supports yr camera model.

hi,

for nikon, it's easy

u can use adobe camera raw, phase one capture one or nikon's own raw converter.

if u are anal, like me, i use nikon's own raw converter for best results.

but again, for nikon, the third party softwares are reputed to be good at decoding the raw files.

applies to nikon and canon.

i am sure you can find a cs3 plugin that can open your camera raw file if you look hard enough

lightroom is not bad, but do you really need it?

Thanks everyone. Finally get my Lightroom 2.5 (Free) from a friend. I try to open the raw files that is already transferred to my laptop but still can't open it. Can anyone tell me what happen? Why i can't open the file directly from my laptop? Or do i need to transfer all the raw files from my camera to Lightroom?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.