What size to crop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtummy

Jan 28, 2005
Dear folks,

Have been wondering a qns.. How do we crop pictures without having lose in the quality?

to have a technically good print,u need 300 dpi

4R = 4"x6" which means for best quality u need a 1200x1800 image size..

So when u crop next time,check ur final image size.

While I do not use digital equipment, I think the principles remain the same.

If the "optimal size" of enlargement for a given real estate in the image capture medium (film or CCD/CMOS) at a chosen ISO is say "X", then using only half the captured image to produce the same size image will lead to a reduction in quality. This is inevitable.

You will only lose quality if you set your resulting image size to be bigger than the original when you crop.

If the resulting size of the cropped image is smaller that the original image then the quality will be enhanced for images that size.

So when you crop just make sure that you do not enlarge the final image.
Saving it using the wrong compression setting will also degrade your image.
Make a copy and try saving it using different settings and see for yourself.

This info is only applicable to digital images.
Compression settings are only applicable to jpeg compressed image files.

Thanks alot for the advice given/.....

Actually my point here is for example, a picture with 3008*2000 pixels. You crop with photoshop stating the size with 3008*2000 but of cos when you crop some of the part will be gone right? Now comparing the orginal image at 100% and the cropped one at 100%. The one that has been cropped has been magnified. This also means tat image quality has been lost right?

Image quality would have suffered. just depending on how much of the original pic did you crop.

from what i can understand in your scenario. You take taking a smaller portion (eg 1200x800) of the original picture (3008x2000) and blowing it up to 3008x2000.

it means that you are still taking a smaller pic to blow it up to a bigger size. how much image quality would suffer would depend on close the size of the cropped area is to the size you are blowing up to. the closer it is the less quality loss.

bigtummy said:
Actually my point here is for example, a picture with 3008*2000 pixels. You crop with photoshop stating the size with 3008*2000 but of cos when you crop some of the part will be gone right? Now comparing the orginal image at 100% and the cropped one at 100%. The one that has been cropped has been magnified. This also means tat image quality has been lost right?

It depends on the resolution of the original image and the ppi setting for your crop image.

Status
Not open for further replies.