What size of CPL to get?

drave

Jun 30, 2009
Dear Bro & Sis,

I am looking to invest in a good CPL, however on budget constrain, I am considering if I can buy a bigger size CPL e.g 77mm and then to fix it using the adapter ring to my lens size, 67mm for 18-105 and 52mm for 55-200.

Is this workable? Or if you have a better suggestion pls kondly share with me.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Drave.

yes you can.

Yes it is workable. Buy the biggest size of the lens that you have and use step ring for smaller size lens

hey all. sorry to post in ts thread, but say i get a 77mm and a step up ring, can i mount it on top of my uv filter already present?

So thick at the front element ... vignette problems may happen

It is possible. U can buy the filter for the biggest lens and use step up rings for the 67mm and 52mm to fit the CPL. There is another alternative which is to use cokin CPL with the P series holder. However, I do not advise it as cokin cpl has some serious vignetting.

Dear Bro & Sis,

I am looking to invest in a good CPL, however on budget constrain, I am considering if I can buy a bigger size CPL e.g 77mm and then to fix it using the adapter ring to my lens size, 67mm for 18-105 and 52mm for 55-200.

Is this workable? Or if you have a better suggestion pls kondly share with me.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Drave.

Yes, definitely workable.

I would suggest getting dedicated step-up rings:

1) 77-67
2) 77-52

and try NOT to stack rings.

Not that you can't, but the idea is to keep the filter as close to the front element as possible as things sometimes get funky the further away you place a piece of glass from the front of the lens.

Good Day Sirs & Mdm,

Thanks for all you input.

Now I am more clear of my upcoming investment. At least I can save the extras for future upgrade.

Cheers,
Drave

Hi Bro & Sis,

Now to my final question. What brand / type would you recommend?

After searching thru the price guide column, it seems the better CPL is abt $200 range. I am willing to budget it as I think if I can use for my other lens size is still quite worth it. Of course if I can settle with a lower budget then is good news for me, considering I can use it to upgrade to a btter UV filter. (currently using those $10~$20 type hee hee)

Pls kindly share your view.

Thanks in advance.
Drave

(How do I attach picture as I would like to share a photo which I have taken in a koi pond which started me that I should get a CPL. Also, your valuable comments is appreciated cos I just started this hobby not long. Thanks.)

I use Kenko Pro 1D CPL, and I think it's very adequate.

I suspect that the recommendations will include Hoya/Kenko HD Digital and B+W.