What should I look out for when shooting a Dinner & Dance event?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adlee

Aug 11, 2007
Singapore
sidewaysphotographique.com
Hi,

I will be shooting at a Dinner & Dance event in the next couple of days.
Location is at a ballroom and I will doing it with a Nikon D80 / f2.8 17-50mm / Speedlight SB-600

I would like to seek some advice on what to look out for during the shoot - in terms of:
1. the usage of flash (I have an Omni Bounce and foam paper to serve as a light reflector)
2. the optimized settings with the above equipments
3. What are the To-Dos and Not-To-Dos.

Thanks much.

no such thing as enough batteries. You be surprised just how fast the flash flats out during wedding.

be ready to shoot thousands but down to like 40 plus for photoshop and final delivery.

backup camera is a must.

since you have taken up the task, it means you know how best to operate.
one advise: look out for the VIPs, the pretty gals, the various expressions and capture them.

I would like to seek some advice on what to look out for during the shoot - in terms of:
1. the usage of flash (I have an Omni Bounce and foam paper to serve as a light reflector)

Basically you need to know about "Can" and "Cannot" of your equipment under the D&D room conditions.
I suggest going there one day earlier and check the light conditions and the basic colour tone in the location. Take test shots to see how much flash output is needed and what your maximum flash range is. Try different bounce settings (ceiling, walls, card adjustments). Get an ExpoDisk or similar tool to adjust your camera's white balance. Maybe you'll need colour gels to adjust your flash colour tone. Check the DOF with the aperture settings you want to use so that you know how to take group pictures. Target is to get some average settings ready in advance so that you can focus on the people and action.
Have your equipment ready for usage (batteries, filters, bags, tripod etc.)
Next, make yourself familiar with the event. Know the schedule and details so that you know where to position yourself to get the best pics. But also look 'behind the scenes' where people don't expect you. Get some unusual angles but have the standard pictures and poses all in.
Hope that helps.

no such thing as enough batteries. You be surprised just how fast the flash flats out during wedding.

be ready to shoot thousands but down to like 40 plus for photoshop and final delivery.

backup camera is a must.

Yeap, flash batteries are always running flat when you need them most. Get at least a set of spares, two sets to be absolutely safe. In order to make your flash work more efficiently, shoot on as wide a f/stop as you can, but remember to stop down for group images as well. I'd recommend the bounce card over the omnibounce anyday, especially in locations with high ceilings - it's just not the omni's forte.

I don't think there is really a definite hard and fast rule to how much you have to streamline the photos down to, unless the client specifically states a delivery number. Then again, even 1000 down to 40 is a mad shooting ratio of 25:1. I don't think it is very cost effective, nor very efficient work on the photographer's part.

Hi,

I will be shooting at a Dinner & Dance event in the next couple of days.
Location is at a ballroom and I will doing it with a Nikon D80 / f2.8 17-50mm / Speedlight SB-600

Thanks much.

As mentioned, bring PLENTY of spare batteries. 3 sets of spares if you can, and bring a rapid charger if you have one. May save you if it comes to that.

Use the flash direct and boost the ISO with a large aperture to reduce the amount of flash power required. The more you bounce or diffuse the flash, the more power it's gonna take out of the flash.

Go and have fun and try to capture some of the candids. Shoot in RAW if not confident of getting the colour balance right. Bring more memory cards too.

Status
Not open for further replies.