What should i get for my next lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

entitybeing

Jun 7, 2008
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi, I'm actually new to photography but i love it. However, I'm at a standstill where I am unable to decide what lens to buy next. Currently I'm using a D80 with 18-135mm(kit lens) and 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 and an SB800. I am currently seeking a lens with wide scope and a wide aperture. Two lens in mind, AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED (1.7x) or AF-S DX 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED. please give your views.

Hi, I'm actually new to photography but i love it. However, I'm at a standstill where I am unable to decide what lens to buy next. Currently I'm using a D80 with 18-135mm(kit lens) and 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 and an SB800. I am currently seeking a lens with wide scope and a wide aperture. Two lens in mind, AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED (1.7x) or AF-S DX 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED. please give your views.

Hi entitybeing

While both will give you wider aperture and wider angle, what is the wider scope you need ?
In general the higher end zooms often have small zoom ratios ( It is not easy to maintain the quality , controlling distortions across a wide focal length range such as the consumer 18-135mm for example )

As to the matter of 14-24mm f2.8, have you considered the lighter 12-24mm f4 ( if you only want nikon lenses ). It is certainly wider and great for your DX sensor ( counting in the crop factor ) , and takes 77mm filters.

Ryan

As to the matter of 14-24mm f2.8, have you considered the lighter 12-24mm f4 ( if you only want nikon lenses ). It is certainly wider and great for your DX sensor ( counting in the crop factor ) , and takes 77mm filters.

Ryan

Yup, agree with giantcanopy (bro, i am not stalking your thread hor.;p)

14-24 f2.8 is kinda a heavy investment. There are also people who do not like the wide perspective as they are not use to it. My friend is one of them. I suggest you try first before you get a Pro Lens for it.

I would personally suggest you to try out 3rd party lenses. I used to have this thinking that ONLY Nikon Lense can perform well. But this is not the case, especially for DX lenses. I got the Tokina 12-24 purely to try out the range and i can tell you i :heart: it. There are many good landscape shooters here that uses 3rd party lenses like the Sigma 10-20mm.

Not only that, 14-24 f2.8 cannot fit any filters for the time being. This greatly deprived you of trying out shots with filters like GND and CPL.

As for 17-55, i've got a friend who bought the Tamron 17-50 first, then upgraded to it. He don't like the weight and he feel there is not much difference. End up, he sold the Nikon 17-55 and settled for the Tamron 17-50 again. And again, 17-55 f2.8 is another heavy investment, considering it is a DX lens. I would suggest 24-70 f2.8 instead if you really want a FF lens.

All and all, it is subjective. You decide.:)

im not exactly into third party lenses thus i dont know much about them. but in comparison with nikon, how would you rate the IQ? also, for a non dx like the 14-24mm lense on a DX D80, what would the focal length be? its X 1.5 is it?

im not exactly into third party lenses thus i dont know much about them. but in comparison with nikon, how would you rate the IQ? also, for a non dx like the 14-24mm lense on a DX D80, what would the focal length be? its X 1.5 is it?

IQ wise, i feel, Tokina 12-24 can match Nikon 12-24. But the colours and contrast for Nikon, according to many others, is better than Tokina. But the price difference is about 2x. And i believe the colours and contrast can be improve through PP.

Same thing for Tamron 17-50 f2.8 vs Nikon 17-55 f2.8. And the price difference is 3x. And i personally prefer the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 at 35mm compared to my sold Nikkor 35mm f2D.

Yup, it's dependent on the sensor of the camera. So, it will be cropped. Using a 14-24 f2.8 in fact gives you lesser focal range on a DX camera compared to a 12-24. But you gain the wider aperture though. :)

The focal length strictly stays the same no matter the size of the sensor. the multiplier of 1.5still applies to the 14-24mm ( and it also applies to the 12-24mm as well. ) regardless of FX or DX lenses or the larger format lenses.

If you are going to use your wide angle zoom for landscapes, having only up to f4 might not be too critical either since most of the time you would be shooting at smaller apertures

Ryan

The focal length strictly stays the same no matter the size of the sensor. the multiplier of 1.5still applies to the 14-24mm ( and it also applies to the 12-24mm as well. ) regardless of FX or DX lenses.

Ryan

Opps, paiseh. i misread. Sorry, i meant the perspective with reference to a 35mm film.:)

thanks so far. one last question. 17-55mm DX on a D80 would be operating at 17-55mm.
12-24mm on a D80 would be operating at 18-36mm. am i right to say so? correct me if im wrong thanks

thanks so far. one last question. 17-55mm DX on a D80 would be operating at 17-55mm.
12-24mm on a D80 would be operating at 18-36mm. am i right to say so? correct me if im wrong thanks

The 17-55 will be like a 26 - 83mm equivalent field of view on a D80.

The 12-24mm is also a DX lens like the 17-55mm

Ryan

wrong.. as long as you are using d80 you have to multiply the focal range by 1.5..

Haha, makes it easier to remember that TS don't need to multiply if he uses only D3 for dSLR models.;p

BBB!:devil:

im jealous of my friend. he uses a D3. makes life much more easier. anyway thanks for the help guys. at least i learnt something.

wooo we almost have the same set up.

D80 with 18-135mm and 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 and an SB600, but i got the 50mm 1.8

im jealous of my friend. he uses a D3. makes life much more easier. anyway thanks for the help guys. at least i learnt something.

Actually, you don't really need to worry about the multiplier. Just look into your viewfinder, zoom and compose to get the picture you want. That's all that matters. Hardly ever, except for hardcore techno guys, will you ever need to worry about the range you take your shot. Its all recorded on your exif anyway.

Most people will just see your photo and say "that's a nice photo. what camera/lens you use ah?"...:bsmilie:.

have you considered Tokina 11-16 f/2.8?
I've read many reviews that this is a sharp wide lens, even when wide open.

Status
Not open for further replies.