What should i do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kindred

Dec 19, 2002
Cantonment
Visit site
Hello guys,

I have something to ask u guys for opinion.

I have been working in the mobilephone trade for more than 6 years. Should i quit everything related to mobilephones..and go into photography (as in career) ? <as i have a relative who has his own studio, wants me to work for him>

Some says i shouldn't... becos i am quite new to photography and i dunno much abt it...

But i find its not true... at 1st i didn't know anything in mobilephones...but yet now i noe almost everything about it (technically). I know it takes time to learn all this things... but a long as u have the interests in it, u can learn.

Please kindly advice. thanks.:)

If you have another 6 years to spare. But I remember just a few weeks ago, u wanted to sell off everything and quit photography.

hi....
put it this way....nobody is born knowing everything and everybody always start from naught.....i believe your relative had been through the learning period before he/she open the studio....IMO....you should consider if you really have the interest in this area before you think about venture into it....you will need lotsa patience and willingness to learn if you wanna chose it as your career......

Anyway thats just my opinion....after all i'm also a newbie in photography.....had only just got my cam after studying it for abt 2 months or so.....the above are just my 1 cents worth of views...

the question you should be asking yourself is...

deep down inside, honest to gawd, do you an interest in photography that you think you can build into a career, or issit just a hobby?

Originally posted by Larry

deep down inside, honest to gawd, do you an interest in photography that you think you can build into a career, or issit just a hobby?

i am have interests in mobilephones & photography...but now i think i can choose only one...not both...

becos due to my working schedule now... i dun even have a time for my own...i cannot even attend to events organized by CS & even SEEDs... monday to saturday working 11am-8pm <by the time, i finished...i am already dog-tired>, then sunday, sometimes have to be called back to work in a whorehouse until late evening... then i dun have time to practice on my shooting. i am kinda losing interest in mobilephones liao.... but a week ago... my uncle just looked for me, and wants me to work for him at his studio... i was thinking if this is a good chance for me to switch lines... this is where i am stucked. :(

Originally posted by kindred
i am have interests in mobilephones & photography...but now i think i can choose only one...not both...

becos due to my working schedule now... i dun even have a time for my own...i cannot even attend to events organized by CS & even SEEDs... monday to saturday working 11am-8pm <by the time, i finished...i am already dog-tired>, then sunday, sometimes have to be called back to work in a whorehouse until late evening... then i dun have time to practice on my shooting. i am kinda losing interest in mobilephones liao.... but a week ago... my uncle just looked for me, and wants me to work for him at his studio... i was thinking if this is a good chance for me to switch lines... this is where i am stucked. :(

Photography as a career isn't a bed of roses either, you will still run into same problems as you shoot to meet deadlines, etc. Still very stressing. Still no time for other activities.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by kindred

What kind of studio is your uncle setting up?

Believe me, it will be the same if you work for a studio. In fact you may even have to work on Sundays as some customers have to work on saturdays & simply refuse to take leave for their photoshoots.

So if the hours are going to be the same or worse, the bottom line is where does your main interest lie?

Well, the way I look at it is different - you have an opportunity to learn the ropes from someone who is already in the line, and thats is an opportunity that a lot of us will not have.

And as you put it yourself, you are getting tired of the mobilephone line, thus looking at something else to do. And since you enjoy photography (I am assuming here ;) ), then going to work for your uncle seems like a chance in a million.

Complacency and not venturing out of comfort zone are the two biggest obstacles to progressing in one's career and work.

I say "Go For It!", give it all you got and see if you can make a difference. If it doesn't work out, you will know for sure (eg. you will not be stuck 3 yrs down the road still selling phones and wondering if that photog featured in Singapore Vogue fashion shoot could have been you), and some other opportunity will present itself.

Don't go looking too far into the future, cos no one knows for certain, and the only certain way to keep motivated and progress is to improve your own abilities and skills.

p.s. if you do go for it, remember to give CS members good, discounted rates if we want to book your studio ;) ;p

1. 6 years in mobile phone trade would at least have taught you one thing - how to sell something. That's probably very important for a photographer.

2. How much further can you go in the mobile phone trade? Look around you - if I am not wrong all youngsters passing through, and one or two senior managers. Where are the rest? I think the prospects in photography are much better, and best of all you get to be your own boss, with no worries about inventories that lose their value in a couple of months. Better margins, more interesting work. But still work. Hard work.

3. Just work for your uncle and learn what you can. Does not mean you cannot quit after a couple of years and try something else if it does not work out. Whatever you learn will still be useful for the future (if not for professional, then personal interest). Nothing you learn is ever wasted. Not sure what type of studio your uncle has, but you don't have to go on doing the same type of photography, although what you learn will be useful. And if you want I'm sure you could always go back to mobile phones (although unlike photography, what you know now will be completely obsolete in 2 years - do you want to have to keep up with changing technology all your life?).

4. Start building up a portfolio. If you ask me, working in a whorehouse gives you great photo-opportunities (even if you're not a street photographer).

GO FOR IT! :thumbsup:

My logic is simple. You have 6 years experience in mobile industry. Now you switch to full time photographer and one year down the road, you realised you don't like it, you can always switch back to mobile industry. Should be able to find a job right. So, if your uncle pay you the same or better salary, why not.

I was in a similar situation but more stressful decision long time ago. I was 2 years into IT career then have an opportunity to switch to be forex dealer but my pay cut 66%!!! I was on my own at that time self supporting so I can't afford to take pay cut. And the bank is not own by my uncle. If I made my million lost in the 1st day I start, I will be fired. Also I heard dealer life is very stressful. So I decided not to have a water and bread everyday lifestyle. Like Darren said, I always wonder how well will I do if I take the challange.

Originally posted by Larry

Totally agreed with that.

Go into photography full-time and make it as a paying job? Personally, it is one thing to love photography, another thing to be good at it, that it becomes a paying job.

Sometimes, the best way to kill your love for something, is to go it full-time, putting yourself in a position to be pressurised and seek to be paid for it. If it is good stuff, people will recognise that, in time.

Photography is at the end of the day, as similar as drawing. dancing, or being a world-class athlete. This means there is a certain amount of nature and talent involved, if it is to bring food to the table.

At the end of the day, the differentiating factor is talent, and a good eye, for no amount of equipment and interest, makes up for a lack in that department.

Of course, you will still need to work hard, put in longer hours than the day has, including weekends, not very different from what you are currently going through.

Funny thing, every time i speak to a guy who works behind the counter at the photo shops, they tell me they hardly ever shoot any more. So it is possible to work there full time and yet not have the time to work on your stuff.

If it's ME, I would go for it. Reason?

1. With photography you can create your own stuff. This is particularly important to me. I intended to build my website long time ago but only implemented after picking up photography. It's all about content! Now I can create many things according to my own taste. Do I call it art? ;)

2. The mobile phone trend is a fad to me, and the entry level is lower. Actually the entry level of photography is also getting lower due to all the digital stuff, but you still take some advantages of more expensive investment, like studio etc.

3. Not sure about others, but seems to me as long as working hard, I could improve quickly with two major resources: digital imaging and the Internet. Now you already have a great learning tool and a huge information database, what else do you need? Maybe some passion and perseverance.

4. If you like, learn some IT knowledge. to me offering design service instead of own photo shooting brings more business opportunities.

After all, I mean if that is ME.:p hehe... but I would never become a professional photographer coz I still love my IT job.

then sunday, sometimes have to be called back to work in a whorehouse until late evening... then i dun have time to practice on my shooting.

whorehouse ?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kindred, GO FOR IT!!! You are still young, you got nothing to lose, you will even gain from learning and experiencing it from your uncle's studio. Mai tu liao!!!

yah .. support u to go for it too !! :)

hesitate no more lah .. since u r getting sick of ur current job .. move on to another pasture lor ..

it's always tough to make career decision .. just follow ur heart and u will never go wrong .. :D

btw .. where is ur uncle's studio huh ?? hahahahh .. ;)

After reading from so many well wishers, whats your personal stand?

I don't know whats good for ya tho.....but i wish you all the best in your endeavours.......

:)

You got to consider carefully..

If you have no commitment now like house, car or wife/kids, go for what you wanted to do.

A note to you is that photography as a career is different as a hobby. You can't take photos you like.. You need to sacrifice the artistics side of you and take what the customer want. Even if you dun like it.

Hi Kindred,

First, ask yourself the most practical question, "what will I lose if I switch line?" If you can answer this question positively, I'd say you should go for it. Chances don't come knocking twice at your door. It's all about taking up the opportunity at the right moment. It's better to try it out rather than spending the rest of your life thinking, "what if...".

In any case, you have my support!

My dear friend,

everything starts out with a leap of faith. Have confidence and go where your head & heart tells you. You entered the mobile industry with the confidence to sell and deal with the mobiles, why not apply the same with the new opportunity as studio photography?

Yes, most of us have apprehensions on starting something new and giving up what we have built up in our previous trade but that's life is all about: moving on..

Therefore, why not give yourself a chance to try something different?

Flexibilty is the key.

All the best!!

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.