What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
After a little bargaining both seller and buyer agreed to settle in the middle, say $1,700 for a almost mint-condition cam. Seller and buyer seem to be sincere and honest. Unfortunately hours before they meet to close the deal, the buyer receives a sms from the seller saying that the cam was dropped and need to be sent to the service centre for repair and it seems to be not working at all.
Let not assume that the seller is faking the drop, what should i do?
1. Cancell the deal?
2. Is asking for a detailed Service report reasonable? If the service centre gives a "OK" report, will you still accept the cam?
3. Is it reasonable to ask for a reasonable price discount? If yes, how much is reasonable (in % term), assuming that the cam is "OK".
I just want to be a "fair" buyer.
Thanks for your feedback.

If it's indeed "dropped", price would have to be renegotiated since the condition will be different. However, since it's not dropped by Buyer, prob Seller have to accept less.

If it was not dropped but seller wanted to back out, there's nothing Buyer can do as ultimately, the exchange have not taken place.

Canonised said:
Let not assume that the seller is faking the drop, what should i do?
1. Cancell the deal?
2. Is asking for a detailed Service report reasonable? If the service centre gives a "OK" report, will you still accept the cam?
3. Is it reasonable to ask for a reasonable price discount? If yes, how much is reasonable (in % term), assuming that the cam is "OK".

1. The terms of the sale was the camera in it's working and cosmetic condition before the camera was dropped. Hence, the seller is obliged to alow you to cancel the deal.

2. There will still be marks (brassing/ kinks/ dents) on the body even if everything works. The price should change accordingly..

3. Yes. And the seller is obliged to give you a discount. Amount depends on how much damage is done cosmetically (assuming the camera is in perfect working condition) and how well you haggle.

whether he dopped or not , that does not matter. what matter is, he don't want to sell it to you no more.

why insist? i suggest you better look for another seller.

Personally I have encountered a few times of such crap from sellers...all
happened when buying electronic goods, such as handphone, discman,
camera...etc...there is really nothing you can do....

There is really nothing you can do...

But if you really want to frustrate the (fake) seller, say "its ok, why don't you bring it for me to take a look. I MAY even pay for the servicing." This one will definitely freak out the fakes, but impress the hell out of the geninue seller. WIN-WIN.

Of course, if it costs too much to repair, then adjust your pricing or back out (since it was offered in the first place).

frankly, move on.

i don't think the sale will go through. anyway, if the seller doesn't want to sell, he doesn't want to sell.

and if he's given a reasonable reason, no choice but to give the benefit of the doubt.

i've been at the receiving end of a "dropped" lens also. just half an hour prior to meeting up to pay and collect the lens, i was told someone dropped it during veiwing...

why show the lens if it's a done deal? anyway, i had to let the deal drop too.
just felt it strange that lens and cams drop more often just prior to sales then at other times.

obviousdude said:
frankly, move on.

i don't think the sale will go through. anyway, if the seller doesn't want to sell, he doesn't want to sell.

and if he's given a reasonable reason, no choice but to give the benefit of the doubt.

i've been at the receiving end of a "dropped" lens also. just half an hour prior to meeting up to pay and collect the lens, i was told someone dropped it during veiwing...

why show the lens if it's a done deal? anyway, i had to let the deal drop too.
just felt it strange that lens and cams drop more often just prior to sales then at other times.

haha ... i didn't know there are ppl who make such lame excuses to back out from agreements. but in my case, i don't doubt this gentleman (though there is a possibility) coz he sounded realli sincere. of course we both have the full right to back out from the sale before the payment, but I was just wondering whether is it worthwhile to pay for the cam (when it has been dropped and maybe certified to be OK!) even if i can save another hundred plus coz this is a electronic/digital cam.
but if it only a lame excuse (probably got another offer for a $50 more?), then of course i will be pissed off. hopefully he came back with the agent's service report for me to decide.......

maybe the accident really happened leh? personally, if a buyer really dropped the camera i am going to buy, i will not want to buy it anyway, even after he send in for servicing.

Canonised said:
haha ... i didn't know there are ppl who make such lame excuses to back out from agreements. but in my case, i don't doubt this gentleman (though there is a possibility) coz he sounded realli sincere. of course we both have the full right to back out from the sale before the payment, but I was just wondering whether is it worthwhile to pay for the cam (when it has been dropped and maybe certified to be OK!) even if i can save another hundred plus coz this is a electronic/digital cam.
but if it only a lame excuse (probably got another offer for a $50 more?), then of course i will be pissed off. hopefully he came back with the agent's service report for me to decide.......
oh well, i guess s--t happens.

anyway, let's take it that everything is above board, afterwise we'd get no where by speculating.

you'll have to give it some thought. a dropped item is still a dropped item. even after servicing, it's likely not to be as good as before. u'll have to make a judgement call whether it's worth it based on the price offered.

it's really individual preference whether someone would buy a dropped electronic item. especially one with sensitive electronics combined with precision mechanisms like lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.