What should I buy/upgrade

jasonowk

Oct 5, 2009
Hi I got a canon 1000d, kit lens and 50mm 1.8. Macro and fish eye tele converter lens. Now I kinda bored with the camera. What should I do? Should I buy speedlight to try or new lens or rent lens? Hope bros can give some advice.

Hi I got a canon 1000d, kit lens and 50mm 1.8. Macro and fish eye tele converter lens. Now I kinda bored with the camera. What should I do? Should I buy speedlight to try or new lens or rent lens? Hope bros can give some advice.

You have to be excited by the act of capturing moments in pictures. No new camera body will keep you excited always. If you are bored, it is probably not of the camera, but of photography. So you might want to re-consider photography as a hobby.

Sell your camera and find some other hobby to amuse you for another month or 2, then go look for something else.

I have to agree with comments from the above two senior members.

focus on your cameras and lenses only will bring you nowhere, you will not be contented even you have collected every single items listed in the Canon catalogue.

I get thrilled, excitement, satisfaction, bored, disappointment of the photographs I created, these are the things keep me going on in photography.

Thanks for the advice bro!:) maybe cos I do not really know how to use the lens for what purpose so as to create nice pics! Hmmm, what your recommendation for me to get more exposure and experience?:)

Now I kinda bored with the camera. What should I do?
Reflect / ponder about the reason. Otherwise the story will repeat itself with whatever you pick up next.
How many pictures have you taken? What kind of pictures are this? Are you happy with what you got? What were your expectations? ... Get into the driver's seat of your life and hobby, don't be driven by others.

Thanks for the advice bro!:) maybe cos I do not really know how to use the lens for what purpose so as to create nice pics! Hmmm, what your recommendation for me to get more exposure and experience?:)
There is an entire section for outings.
The purpose of a lens is to capture light and focus it on the sensor area, period.

pick any subject you like,
shoot noting else but only this,
till a day when people once see the photos will know that is yours,
than pick another subject and do the same again.

pick any subject you like,
shoot noting else but only this,
till a day when people once see the photos will know that is yours,
than pick another subject and do the same again.

Thanks bro, this way is quite interesting, shall try!(;

There is an entire section for outings.
The purpose of a lens is to capture light and focus it on the sensor area, period.

Thanks bro, for the outing, will they teach u or give u advices?:)

Take a break from photography for a few months. You have enough lenses so don't need to buy another lens. Maybe you can buy the 60D...the variable angle LCD will enable you to take from angles that would be too troublesome using the viewfinder.

Do understand that its not a course they are conducting, its a gather and sharing session, so if you want to know anything, you should approach them and ask them yourself, most of them will be very helpful.

For courses and lessons you can check the respective subforum. Of course, it all has a price tag. If you prefer to get knowledge taught / served you need to pay a bit.
Gatherings and outings are people like you and people with more knowledge sharing experiences, questions, advices. The only thing you need to bring is time and an open mind to learn. Decide what you need.

for me, learning how to use my equipment and REALLY go out and shoot never make me bored..
there are ways to make this hobby interesting..

1. go out, shoot, but limit yourself to 36 exposure, and do not erase or retake, just like when you are using film

2. set the lens to one focal length, eg 18mm, and that's it, shoot only with that focal length

3. don't use your autofocus..

4. use M mode and experiment with it, use sunny 16 rule if you want, don't just read out from the camera's metering..

5. use sunny 16 rule, guess the exposure, match it with the camera.. make it a guessing game, you don't need to actually take a picture (you can if you want) to play this "game"..
better yet, play it with a friend who's interested in photography as well, and set a small reward for the one who got it most.. this can improve your exposure estimating ability..

6. do 1 to 4 altogether.. experiment with it.. see if this can help cure your boredom..

many ways to keep the hobby interesting, you just need to be creative, and not taking photography as something related to buying, buying and buying more gears..

sometimes, less is more..

Review your work so far, what kind of shots do you find more appealing? Pick that as possibly an area to venture deeper into. Don't try to be a jack of all trades :)

for me, learning how to use my equipment and REALLY go out and shoot never make me bored..
there are ways to make this hobby interesting..

1. go out, shoot, but limit yourself to 36 exposure, and do not erase or retake, just like when you are using film

2. set the lens to one focal length, eg 18mm, and that's it, shoot only with that focal length

3. don't use your autofocus..

4. use M mode and experiment with it, use sunny 16 rule if you want, don't just read out from the camera's metering..

5. use sunny 16 rule, guess the exposure, match it with the camera.. make it a guessing game, you don't need to actually take a picture (you can if you want) to play this "game"..
better yet, play it with a friend who's interested in photography as well, and set a small reward for the one who got it most.. this can improve your exposure estimating ability..

6. do 1 to 4 altogether.. experiment with it.. see if this can help cure your boredom..

many ways to keep the hobby interesting, you just need to be creative, and not taking photography as something related to buying, buying and buying more gears..

sometimes, less is more..
I don't see how no. 3 helps. Most modern lenses are horrible at manual focus as their focus rings rotate too little. A slight shift can result in a drastic shift in focus, and you really don't want to be playing around with it all the time.

Also, I prefer to trust the camera's metering. Your method works for people who never trust their equipment and want to go full manual. Full manual mode is not for everyone; it's not easy and I'd rather trust my camera, look at my LCD once in a while to check if my camera has got it right, but I won't go full manual. Usually the camera won't be off by too much, but if you screw up in manual exposure, you can end up screwing up your good shots and miss a lot of shots because you had to change your exposure settings.

Spend a little time watching this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNZr3l2PrZM&feature=related