What should be the shutter speed if the sun is shinning at your camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

20Babies

Aug 8, 2007
Hi there,

I was shooting my kid against the morning sun. I was using the FL50 flash (under TTL FF setting), but pic was very dark on the subject. I read somewhere that I need to set a high shutter speed to prevent this from happening. I am using a 14-54mm lens. What shutter speed should i set for this situation?

Thx

no one will know the actual speed you need, you got to trial and error yourself as each situation is diff.

even you set high shutter speed, your flash got to be able to produce the same amount of power to match it.

The shutterspeed would also depend on your ISO and aperture used, but if you use too fast shutterspeed, the flash may not sync.
If the shutterspeed is limited, you may have to stop down the aperture, then you'd need more flash power to get the same exposure on the subject.
Depending on how bright you want the background / ambient to be, I'd adjust the shutterspeed accordingly, but if its really bright I'd put it on 1/250sec (my camera's highest sync speed).

there are 3 things that control exposure in your camera

shutter speed, aperture and iso

there is more than just shutter speed, so no one can tell you roughly unless perhaps you provide us with the iso setting and aperture setting

in your case, my noob opinion would be that you are metering at the wrong place. try to use spot or partial metering, meter at somewhere as dark as your subject and hold it. then aim at your subject again and shoot.

regarding the flash, if your metering is wrong, which in your case the camera TTL will tell the flash to reduce the power output because you are metering at a bright spot. hence under expose.

dun flame ah, am just a noob. Happy shooting.

in your case, my noob opinion would be that you are metering at the wrong place. try to use spot or partial metering, meter at somewhere as dark as your subject and hold it. then aim at your subject again and shoot.

but in this case u might get a overexpose sky

thx for all your advice.
I will try it out....

Status
Not open for further replies.