What should a newly calibrated screen look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
I just did the HUEY calibratuion thingy.

I made sure I selected the correct type of screen, and left the settings according to what was recommended for photos/editing, i.e., Colour Settings in the Calibration Preferences: Colour: Neutral Contrast: Medium.

The room's flourescent light was on. That was the main light source.

After calibration, I know that the screen may look a little strange, but my screen looks entirely reddish brown with a magenta tinge kinda like a sepia toning attempt gone wrong.

I opened a new photoshop page to see what an untouched BG would look like. It looks well, reddish brown with a tinge of magenta.

I tried painting the page a solid 100% colour, then used the eraser at 100% to remove a thick strip of colur to see the BG. The BG looked redish brown with a tinge of Magenta.

I tried looking at a few different photos in various threads. They all look a little muddy, with that reddish brown magenta tint but greens and blues look very much like the real thing!

You know stuff like the address bar in internet explorer? It's supposed to be quite white right? It looks reddish brown with a hint of magenta.

Did I do something wrong, or is this what it's supposed to look like?

When I checked the monitor settings after calibration, here's what I found:

Input selection: DIGITAL

Contrast: 37 (thought it was always supposed to be 100% ?)

Brightness: 0

Also, when I looked into this website featuring the Huey, I realised that the reviewer can select the 'choice' of preference after the successful calibration http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/pantone_huey.html just follow the calibration steps till it gets to after successful calibration. On my programme, there's no such selection or choices. Also, nowhere does the wand-like thing say Huey.

Appreciate any help or opinions as I am a calibration newbie.

CHEERS!

Mmm.. I'm using the Eye-One Display 2. On my desktop it's easy to tell if the calibration is successful because I've got 2 monitors side by side. Before calibration, the colours between the 2 are grossly different. After calibration, they are very close (i put an open window in between the 2 screens so that i have the same colour background spanning both screens). Anyway, apart from the colours, you should also notice an increase in the highlight and shadow detail (especially if you're using LCD monitors). Load up a photo or image with a wide dynamic range and the difference before and after calibration should be obvious.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks Denosha, appreciate it.

I don't have two monitors to compare.

It's just the really weird colour cast on the screen I can't get to grips with, and that almost everyone's pictures looks like they were taken with L glass - distinctively warm. I thought that I'd just need some time to get used to it, but after 6 hours, it still bugs me.

Yatlapball's 'A girl, a beach and a dog' looks like it has the reddish tinge reminscent of Kodachrome 25! That's a very, very saturated and rich transparency film in the old days.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=319688

Are we supposed to set anything before calibration? Another photographer said that it was imperative to get the brightness and contrast settings done before calibration, and is there any difference if I were to set the monitor before calibration (5K, 6.5K, 9.5K and RGB)? I tried all the settings and yes, the results are all different, so which is correct?

Thanks in advance guys!

Ensure you have the latest patch -- 1.05

In any case, Huey has been a disappointment.

Erm.. it shouldn't give u any weird colour casts. You might fnd the colours (especially white, grey) somewhat different if you're used to your uncalibrated monitor (from my experience, most tend to have a blue-ish cast out of the box) but it shouldn't feel wrong. As for the steps, it really depends on the software/system you're using. For the Eye-one Match software, it has a wizard that pretty much handles everything you need to do to your monitor and tells u how to do it.

Used that before. Gave a yellowish tinge... gave upu on that afterward since I do not develop or print my own pictures and my developer will correct it for me ;p

Thanks so much guys.

I also realised that if I set the calibrator preference to 'cool', it looks much better.

However, based on what you all have described etc, I'll download the patch, do up a test file, print it out and see how it goes.

THANKS for all the opinions and advise.

CHEERS!

EDIT UPDATE:

GREAT! I can't even register on the Pantone website!

All I get is the below, which is Greek and Russian to me:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

Source Error:

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>
<system.web>
<compilation debug="true"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to validate data.]
System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.GetDecodedData(Byte[] buf, Byte[] modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Int32& dataLength) +2646292
System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString) +214

[ViewStateException: Invalid viewstate.
Client IP: 165.21.155.72
Port: 45036
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)
ViewState: 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...]

[HttpException (0x80004005): Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.]
System.Web.UI.ViewStateException.ThrowError(Exception inner, String persistedState, String errorPageMessage, Boolean macValidationError) +116
System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString) +251
System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.System.Web.UI.IStateFormatter.Deserialize(String serializedState) +4
System.Web.UI.Util.DeserializeWithAssert(IStateFormatter formatter, String serializedState) +37
System.Web.UI.HiddenFieldPageStatePersister.Load() +220
System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium() +83
System.Web.UI.Page.LoadAllState() +35
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +6978
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +213
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +86
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +18
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +49
ASP.pages_mypantone_become_a_member_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +29
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +303
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64

I'm using Huey also, after calibration the color seems to be warmer. I think it is normal. Last time when I print my pics after editing from uncalibrated monitor the pics turned out yellowish. But after calibration the pic turn out correct color. I set my software color space to Huey. Do remember to save the ICC profile for each photo u have so that other machine can translate ur pic into correct color setting.

You might want to turn on your monitor and let it run for about 30min before you perform the sceen calibration. Sometime the calibration is not so accurate if you calibrate it after turn on your monitor.

Hope this help.

namespce, yes, it was running for more than 30 minutes. I even tried doing it several times, lights on, lights off, different lights - the works.

Thanks MerseysideRed for the link. Looks like tons of folks had this situation.

I can't upgrade my software yet because I had that horrendously long error message in GreekishRussian when I tried to register, so I e-mailed Pantone. It might take 2-3 days for them to reply, but I don't have that amount of time as the seller of the Huey only put a 3 day return limit. I'm waiting for the seller to see this thread later tonight.

SIGH ...

OK, the seller (a ver nice guy BTW) just sent me the 1.05 update and I downloaded it, and re-calibrated my screen. It is still that reddish yellow, but not as pronounced as before.

This means that I would start minusing reds and yellows whenever I process my photos, as they all look overly warm now. I also had to adjust the curves to lighten the shadow areas.

Left is the edit after calibration, right is before calibration:

211456281-M.jpg
211490860-M.jpg

taken indoors in a house with white walls and ceilings, no prounced colour cast, ard 4.30pm. Mother's skin tone is NOT the usual ang-mo ruddy red.

How does it look on your super calibrated screens?

Also, when I looked into this website featuring the Huey, I realised that the reviewer can select the 'choice' of preference after the successful calibration http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/pantone_huey.html just follow the calibration steps till it gets to after successful calibration. On my programme, there's no such selection or choices. Also, nowhere does the wand-like thing say Huey.

Appreciate any help or opinions as I am a calibration newbie.

CHEERS!

Download the latest software... Try this link..
http://www.pantone.com/downloads/support/pcfiles/Pantone_huey1_0_5_Installer.exe

I prefer the image on the right side.

Anyway, a properly calibrated screen should be able to display all shades of grey as grey and not with some colour cast in each of the grey tones.

Here's a good grey bar for you to check against. Yes.. it's from dpreview.com
Dpreview use calibrated monitors at the PC normal gamma 2.2, this means that on our monitors we can make out the difference between all of the grayscale blocks below. We recommend to make the most of this review you should be able to see the difference (at least) between X,Y and Z and ideally also A, B and C.
grayscale.gif

Thanks Isisaxon.

I managed to download the 1.0.5 and installed it.

The A-Z- grey bar pretty much looks like warm greys.

OK, I did a whole series of test shots and included a colour chart (GretagMacbeth ColourChecker Colour Rendition Chart).

The prints were done at KT, NO adjustments at all.

They came out quite nicely, but when I got back and compared them to the screen, they are noticably cooler/more neutral and less vibrant/contrasty than what's on the screen.

CHHHOOOPPPPE!

If we could, let's take it from the start, and assume I'm a PC idiot.

I work almost exclusive in JPEG, and use PS7. Mu monitor is the Philips 190B.

Are these the steps I should take? I'm assuimng that I should be doing something before I calibrate, but the question is, what?

Guess this might be a good post for others who try using a calibrator for the first time as well.

STEPS I TOOK/SHOULD TAKE:

1) Switch everything on and let the monitor warm-up for at least 30 mins.

There are full adjustments on my monitor.

My menu gives me a selection of:

2) Brightness and Contrast. Should i set these till I can see the A-Z white to black tiles, or leave it alone?

3) Colour - Which should I choose? Original Colour? 9300K? 6500K sRGB? User Define with choice of how much R, G and B?

4) Input selection. I'm using a digital cabel so I select Digital.

5) More Settings. There's Language, OSD Settings and Audio Options. I am unfamiliar with OSD Settings. Should I be changing anything here?

After I go through #1-#5, then I calibrate?

When I calibrate, so far I have

1) Launch the programme.

2) Allow the device to measure ambient light.

3) Stick the wand securely on the LCD screen.

4) Run the programme.

5) Finish.

6) Choose the application most used for, in my case, web browsing and photo editing.

7) Click that and Viola! Reddish Calibrated screen!

8) Next option is to turn on or off the monitor ambient light at regular intervals. Do I leave this on or off?

Now, when I launch PS7, I have RGB and 8-bits/channel selected.

9) Should I be choosing something else like Index Colour, CYMK, Lab Colour or Multichannel?

Is there anything else in PS I should adjust?

Oh dear! That's quite a long list. Really hope a kind sould can help...

Thanks Isisaxon.

I managed to download the 1.0.5 and installed it.

The A-Z- grey bar pretty much looks like warm greys.

OK, I did a whole series of test shots and included a colour chart (GretagMacbeth ColourChecker Colour Rendition Chart).

The prints were done at KT, NO adjustments at all.

They came out quite nicely, but when I got back and compared them to the screen, they are noticably cooler/more neutral and less vibrant/contrasty than what's on the screen.

I like to print from ColourLab at Adelphi. So far I think they did a good job profiling every batch of their paper.

The colour bar should not look warm grey. They should be neutral. Unless you're very used to 9300K colour, you may find 6500K neutral tones to be slightly warm. It taes some time to get used to.I don't know if this might be the case for you.

At the end of the measurement, I disabled the room light compensation. Colour setting is using Web Browsing & Photo Editing, which should give a 6500K temperature and gamma of 2.2.

Isisaxon, Thnaks once again for your kind and patient reply.

I truly appreciate your sharing on what most would consider a 'newbie' issue that porbably gets asked over and over agian, but the fact is, I am a newbie where komputter issues are concerned, and I got 'EERRR.....' when reading past discussions.

Thanks once again.

CHEERS!

Isisaxon, Thnaks once again for your kind and patient reply.

I truly appreciate your sharing on what most would consider a 'newbie' issue that porbably gets asked over and over agian, but the fact is, I am a newbie where komputter issues are concerned, and I got 'EERRR.....' when reading past discussions.

Thanks once again.

CHEERS!

All that being said, the huey is still an entry level calibrator and you should be happy that the colour come close to the prints. They can never be exact because the colour space is different, there are certain colours the monitor can display which paper cannot and vice versa.

I use both huey and Spyder and so far I'm quite satisfied with them. Although Spyder is more accurate, the huey is good enough for most applications. :)

Cheers!

Hi Isisaxon,

A super nice IT expert came over to my place with the Spyder and we worked on my screen for awhile. After extensive tests and adjustments, we found out that basically, it's my monitor that looked really weird, and not that there was something wrong with the Huey.

We finally settled on a combination of what the Spyder did, and finely tuned manual settings to set the monitor close to what the reference test prints showed so at least I know how to edit with that particular print shop in mind.

i have a similar problem on my ibook g4 screen as well. no matter hw i try to calibrate with the spyder, it just looks warmer than my MBP screen. someone mentioned it could have to go withe screen's construct, age, etc... :dunno: I have since given up. I didn't realise it at first until I got my MBP and looked at them both side-by-side.

But for the record, the photos you mentioned, some of the colours were deliberately saturated during PP :bsmilie: So it must have turned out even more pronounced on your screen.

The screen is bland new. That's the problem! LOL! Actually, I started with a 24" wide-screen, but the even-ness of illumination was really bad for editing purposes, so I got it changed to the smaller 'Perfect Pixel' screen.

The IT expert went through a whole series of checks and customisation in my system re-setting I have no idea what, but it looked like tons of stuff to a noob like me, and we had to calibrate in parts, adjust, then recalibrate. This went on for awhile, and towards the end, we were both really surprised that the results from the Spyder calibration didn't look much different from the Huey calibration! Unless I'm confused. Hehe.

Saturated colours in those beach shots? No wonder they looked like they were shot on Kodachrome 25 with a polariser and deliberately underexposed! LOL!

I don't shoot slide film. Heh. Too expensive. But I really like the way colours turn out on them, especially for landscapey-style shots. Guess looking at many such shots have influenced my taste somewhat. So... best solution, spend some time in front of the computer lor :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.