What shops you guys frequent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swakoo

Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
I tend to frequent MS Colour more as I have always been going there..

but seems like you guys go to others more often instead.. so just wondering which better etc?

there's no one better shop. all shops got its pros and cons. end of the day? its like ur cam - brand loyalty. the advantage of going to the same plc to get ur stuff is dat u tend to get better discounts as u develop a relationship with the shop owners & staff. its a win-win situation to stick to one plc most of the time when u buy stuff - the shop love returning customers and u, the buyer, love the better discounts. :bsmilie:

Some ppl consider "cheaper" as better.
Some ppl consider "better service" as better.
Some ppl consider "honesty" as better.
Some ppl consider "personal attention" as better.
Whats your consideration?

In my opinion:

1. Lords has the best customer service, but doesn't have as wide a selection of stuff like other shops like CP, unless you're talking about Nikon stuff. Prob gives the best prices, and they're honest, if its grey, they'll tell you beforehand.. :thumbsup:

2. CP has probably the best selection of items, and some items that can't be found in other shops, i.e. Gitzo tripods, but their customer service isn't very good at times. But expected with the number of staff they have, you're better sticking to the one or two ppl that you always go to that knows you

3. AP -never bought anything from them, but whatever I've heard about them makes me steer clear of them. Always super busy

4. MS Color -AMK a bit far for me, so never been there before. Heard good things about them though.

5. Eastgear - no complaints from me. OK service, but don't give discounts at all (well, so far out of the 3-4 times I've bought stuff from them)

GYR

Where can I find this place called Lords ? :dunno:

Lords
Service - good
Range - good in store stock, common items can be ordered
Price - good on 1st quote, little haggling needed

MS Color
Service - good
Range - good in store stock, common items can be ordered
Price - average on 1st quote, need haggling or equote (preferred)

CP
Service - good
Range - excellent in store stock, almost all photographic equipment can be ordered
Price - average even after haggling

AP
Service - non-existent, maybe you need to pay for it :bsmilie:
Range - very good in store stock, don't bother ordering cos they might sell off to a higher payer or don't bother to call you back
Price - usually very good unless you look "choppable"

All based on personal experience, your mileage may differ

No TCW?? :nono:

Opps... Tat's my fav place by the way.... ;)

Can find most of the accessories there... :thumbsup:
Good Service (including after sales service), Good Price, Friendly people :thumbsup:

Hope I'm not over-rating the shop!! :D

John 3:16 - Although price is not really good, their service is one of the best in town.

Mmm strange no mention of TK Foto, so far no complaints from anybody and I have good experience there.

Gymrat76 said:
1. Lords has the best customer service, but doesn't have as wide a selection of stuff like other shops like CP, unless you're talking about Nikon stuff. Prob gives the best prices, and they're honest, if its grey, they'll tell you beforehand.. :thumbsup:

They do carry other brands like Canon DSLRs, but it's on a per order basis.

The grey items they hold were mainly ordered for customers, customers who ordered and never turned up to collect. Some outstanding items were Nikon 72mm Soft-1, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS. There's even a warrantied set of Kodak 14n sitting on the shelf cause the orderer never pick it up!! :nono:

CP - Good (I always get good service from ANYBODY there...)

Lords - Laggi good (Anything and everything Nikon)

AP - Avoid at all costs

TK Foto - Nice service, peaceful & quiet when browsing, carries a lot of accessories as well

TCW - Grey sets only, prices are near warrantied sets. Not very attractive prices for items that other shops have none and grey sets either.

J316 - Exhorbitant prices, ridiculous reasons to why the prices are so high but service wise isn't too bad, you just need to know them.

MS Color - heard a lot of good stuff, although I stay near there somewhere, but have never been there.

Don't think so on CP espn. I went down to CP yesterday evening and ask for a quote on Canon IXUS 500 for a friend.

The guy who served me (tall stocky guy but can't remember his name) is pretty arrogant. He quoted me a price and I found it to be pretty expensive. I ask for a discount and he said that discount can't be given and he has already given a very good price. Move ahead to say can't get anything cheaper than the price he quoted. Any price lower than that must be without GST or grey sets. Talk like a big boss man, can't take his arrogance really! :angry:

I ignored him totally (and vice versa too) and went on with my friend to shop further in one of the normal shop selling digital cameras and accessories in Marina Centre. In the end, we found the camera my friend wanted and it was indeed cheaper than the price that this guy in CP quoted by $20.

I think if a small shop in Marina Sq can offer the price we've paid, I don't see any reason why a shop as big as CP can't match that price, as I'm sure they got more stock from Canon than that small miserable shop, and will achieve a lower cost. I think they're getting big businesses and are ignoring small buyers like my friend. Getting higher up in the head for some of the sales guys there I suppose, which is a bad sign.

On the other hand, MS Color gives me the 'relaxed' feeling whenever I asked something from them. The pricing is always compatible and the service is very good. Not as stressed as stepping into CP. Guess I'll switch sides from now. :)

i prefer CP for their after sales service,dun mind paying abit more for that.

bought a digital camera from them and discovered a dead pixel on the image(not lcd)
brought it back to them and they exchange it without any question.
i prefer after sales service to price anytime.

For me I like to walk around. :) It all depends on what do I want to buy but mostly, I would still go to CP to buy most of my camera's stuff. :)

To be fair I think CP always quote price payable by credit card. Other shop will quote cash price and if by credit another x% more. Problem with CP is their price are not consistant and different salesman will quote different price. Sometimes you will be able to get an item at rock bottom price and sometimes it is way above normal market price. They will also capitalised on items that are hard to get or if they know you can't get it elseway unless ordered via US etc. I guess all shops are about the same. Some of the better shops are more consistant and service level are getting better as you visit them often.

TK Foto - Good, No complain, price are attractive and fair, very comfortable when selecting items. Service level are a notch above all the rest.

Lords - Good, No complain so far but have not purchase big ticket items form them before. Service seems to be above avg.

AP - Above Avg, Have always been treated fairly and price are cheap, only problem is I only get serviced by a single salesman and the shop is always very crowded. Believe that they watch out for certain buyers.

CP - Above Avg, sometimes do have good offers but most of the time price are above what I can get. Service are so so but I do believe they watch out for genuine buyers.

J316 - Avg, Price are steep although service level are slightly better hence only wave my hands when I walk pass but seldom walk in for purchase.

TCW - No idea as I have not patronised them before but mostly selling resale items.

MS Color - No idea, have been browsing but never have any experience in purchasing anything.

Hiee...

Well, i think whatever the shop you visit.....i think to make your experience better....it would be great to make an effort to find out the person that you wanna deal with. So far, from my experience, it makes a difference if you go to a shop and address the sales person by the persons name....

Some thing like...Harlow David.....how are you...? ......etc...

Like for my experiences, after taking the effort to know the peoples name, they seem to be more welcoming and responsive to your request for discounts where you need one......do bargain but dont bee too stiff

Try visit the shops once and a while if you happen to be nearby and drop by to say hello .....these little inter personal relationships may make your presensce felt and help them have you familiar in their mind.

So far, i have tried this method for Cathay Photo(a couple of sales person whom i will approach), Alan Photo(a couple of sales person whom i will approach), Alex Photo, P&G Adelphi, TCW, Ruby, Konota(Nelson).......

No Particular place that i go to actually. All have a fare share of visits that i asked questions on how to get some stuff done or tips from....

So far, with the frequent visits (even not buying) they will be happy to answer your questions.......of course not when there are soooooo many ppl at their peak period...

I have personally took leave for some occations when i think an off-peak visit would help to ask for discounts so that they can pay attention to your requests and also facial expressions....because they would wanna make some money for those low key days....

Well....i guess make friends with all, remember we are humans with names.....and you will be safe....

rgds,
sulhan

Agree, but what I can't take it is their arrogance in the tone. Sounds like you HAVE to buy from them and theirs is the BEST price in town, NOWHERE ELSE!

I agree with you on being good friends with them, but what about those who are first timers, like tourists? Does that mean 'no friend, no talk'? :(

yep.. for first timers.. how do u thnk they shud 'better' their r/s wid the shop?

Darren Nonis said:
Where can I find this place called Lords ? :dunno:

yea i would like to know where this place is?

esp since im most likely gonna get the new cp8400 :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.