What shops you guys frequent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My turn ;)

Cathay : Good service at all branches. Had an issue at one stage with one of the sales people (I perceived he was arrogant), but as I patronised the shop more, I think my perception changed, he was trying to be helpful in his own way, and since then, no problems, I'm always happy to walk into CP (and I guess the shop's happy because more often than not, I buy something !).

Alan Photo : One very good experience (served by a guy who was a bit wall-eyed), and one very bad experience (served by a middle-aged skinny chap). Bought a prosumer digicam, found a dead pixel on LCD, went back the next day, they brought out another 4 or 5 for me to test and select, serviced with a smile. Another time, checked out another digicam, prices were not bad but salesman indifferent, then said I'd buy, asked for a new one, he said that's all that's left, take it or leave it. Wasn't going to take that attitude, so walked off, drove to Cathay, talked to Vincent, got the same price on a brand new set. Kicked myself for wasting time and not going directly to Cathay.

MS Color : good reports, and quite friendly, but when I bought camera from them, found corroded battery terminals in a brand new set, and a camera pouch was touted as "genuine" but manufacturer's sticker was literally stuck on. Wary of them from then on ...

John 3:16 : Nicest guys you could ever meet, with infinite patience. Don't have the perception that their prices are above everyone else's ... do your research, name your price, and if they can't meet it, that's simple, just go to the other shop. They've surprised me several times by matching others' prices, but they don't aggressively discount, not that I know of anyway. But they must be doing something right ... you don't survive in a high-rent place like Funan on friendly chats alone.

interesting comments by many of you... well.. i shall have mine then...

Cathay: Only stepped in and asked.. one time.. but that one time, kena an attitude one.. jialat.. look at us machiam we can't afford anything and wasting their time.

Alan Photo: Bought my G2 from them couple of years back. Well, fella that served us, quite good, patient, and chatty. Probably because we were a sure buyer then. Discount.. not very sure.. cos Dad bought it then haha.. friends went there too.. i went with them.. same same

MS Color: Friendly, and get quite close match in prices compare to town shops (as mentioned) but probably I frequent there more often than not. Regarding their goods, yeah I believe they have "fake" ones for the accessories such as the pouches.. but oh well, no problem for me so far

John 3:16 : went there during my secondary school days when my teacher recommended me there. They are really... fantastic in customer service. But prices (then) was quite steep. Haven't frequent since then.

CP - 2 years back, I went to the shop with my mum and I saw this niece Leica DSLR with a majestic LCD. The salesman grudgingly took it down from the shelf to let me have a closer look but quickly took it back when he sensed that I was not about to buy it. I then asked for an Oly film camera for my mum and this salesman remarked -"nowadays digital camera very cheap what,only $500 dollars you can get.'" I was taken aback - seems that they are not happy with a small purchase.

Recently, I went to the same shop and this time, I was serious about one of their offers. They were very friendly after I bought a something not so cheap. They seem to discriminate customer purchases. I don't like this at all. :angry:

I used to work near Katong and bought my first camera at Fotolux at Parkway Parade. They were very nice and friendly even though many occasions, I was merely browsing. But I am not sure if the shop is still around.

alan photo

best is the LAO JIAO steven~!

just got an powershot pro IS from him today

really patient and good service

CP : almost 80 percent of my new equipment bought here. Friendly staff and reasonable pricing.
TCW : Gray/secondhand from here. Service is good but find the shop too crammed and usually packed with customers.
AP :Never bought anything from this shop i.e. until yesterday. serviced by a young man(Desmond). Quite friendly and approachable, prices slightly lower than quoted elsewhere. Ended up buying a digi cam and spare battery from them. Though not as good as the service I get from the other shops that I frequent, it's good enough given it's the first transaction.

hmmm....no mention of K13. Had quite good experience there....

CP, look for the following sales person:Won't go wrong!
1) Florence
2) Alice (weekends only)
3) Michael
4) Duncan

and a couple more. The rest leaves alot to be desired interms of service. The tall bespectacle guy is probably the worst!

The problem with CP, as experienced by some of us here, is that if you buy expensive stuff like camera bodies, lenses, flashes, etc, they'll be extremely friendly to you. If they sensed that you're just browsing and asking for prices, they'll just ignore you or being 'not so friendly'

I've bought a $600+ Gitzo tripod from them and they're very friendly. 2 days ago I merely ask for the price of the Canon IXUS 500 for a friend (she's interested if price is right) and their attitude is :thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

In another words, they see face! This is not the kind of attitude we want! Bad service in my opinion.

Just stating my experience. Not to frame CP. :sweatsm:

have been reading this thread and noted most had conflicting comments..... I am curious on one point though :think:

When you guys mentioned prices are steep at some of the shops, how did u measure that ? +$10/ $20/ $50.......few hundred above the lowest quote elsewhere ? What make their prices steep ? Can Dennis, Espn , Swakoo or any1 enlighten me ? ;p

As some of the guys have already said, we are willing to fork a little bit more for a better sales experience. Price cannot only be one factor to determine any purchase, not THE factor to make us transact. We cannot deny that after sales service is equally important too.

Oh, well... I guess 'relationship building' is very important :D

AhV, when we talk about building relationship, don't you think it should all start with the salesman/lady? If the attitude of the salesman/lady is not good from the start we asked about a product, do you expect the buyer to pretend a smiling face and 'build a relationship'? :nono:

Sorry, I'm getting a bit pissed off from the experience I had 2 days ago. Still recovering from it. Swear I'll never ask from that guy in CP again.

Virgo said:
AhV, when we talk about building relationship, don't you think it should all start with the salesman/lady? If the attitude of the salesman/lady is not good from the start we asked about a product, do you expect the buyer to pretend a smiling face and 'build a relationship'? :nono:

Sorry, I'm getting a bit pissed off from the experience I had 2 days ago. Still recovering from it. Swear I'll never ask from that guy in CP again.

I agree with you, bro but I really wonder .... :think:

If these 'BAD ATTITUDE' Salesperson continue to piss potential buyers away, then they will probably lose lots of $$$$ and close down one day ;p Unless you have a 'sadist' customer, who loves to be pissed before making a purchase. I know of a resturant in London, which will just do that ... their trademark is their poor and rude service... yes, it is one of the 'rudest' but crowded Chinese restaurant in London's Chinatown :bsmilie:

Don't think CP will close down lah. He may be just one of the black sheep around. The rest are pretty OK.

Anyway, I'm not a frequent CP customer. Not sure why, whenever I go into CP, I got a feeling that you better be buying some expensive stuff. If not, the scram! :confused: Don't feel comfortable.

I find MS Color's environment more relaxed.

AhV said:
have been reading this thread and noted most had conflicting comments..... I am curious on one point though :think:

When you guys mentioned prices are steep at some of the shops, how did u measure that ? +$10/ $20/ $50.......few hundred above the lowest quote elsewhere ? What make their prices steep ? Can Dennis, Espn , Swakoo or any1 enlighten me ? ;p

As some of the guys have already said, we are willing to fork a little bit more for a better sales experience. Price cannot only be one factor to determine any purchase, not THE factor to make us transact. We cannot deny that after sales service is equally important too.

Oh, well... I guess 'relationship building' is very important :D

yeah you are right.. price differences.. usually would be within 50 bucks or so I suppose at best?
sometims, it doesn't even beats travelling all the way to the shop because of time factor... but I suppose, many of us (I am) are drawn back to the shop we always go to, because of the service, and the first impression they gave. As the saying goes, First Impression Counts ;)

Virgo said:
Don't think CP will close down lah. He may be just one of the black sheep around. The rest are pretty OK.

Anyway, I'm not a frequent CP customer. Not sure why, whenever I go into CP, I got a feeling that you better be buying some expensive stuff. If not, the scram! :confused: Don't feel comfortable.

I find MS Color's environment more relaxed.

i feel the same way about CP and MS...

i don't even dare to call CP to ask about prices! :sweat:

Swakoo said:
yeah you are right.. price differences.. usually would be within 50 bucks or so I suppose at best?
sometims, it doesn't even beats travelling all the way to the shop because of time factor... but I suppose, many of us (I am) are drawn back to the shop we always go to, because of the service, and the first impression they gave. As the saying goes, First Impression Counts ;)

Thanks for the clarification. As a general rule, I would say prices are only 'steep' if one shop quotes you a hundred and above dollars more than a reasonable 'market rate' quote elsewhere. As a buyer and be fair to any shop, we have to factor in their fixed cost e.g. rental, location and level of customer service. Same theory as when you purchase a plate of chicken rice in a hawker centre and a plate of chicken in an air-con food court. I dun have to tell you the obvious - we all know which one we have to pay more for that same plate of chicken rice.

Oh well, some of us will just pay more to enjoy good service then :D I would conclude that most prices quoted by shops in this thread are competitive ... not STEEP - this word is too strong :bsmilie: If you still find any of the recommended shops in this thread quoting 'unreasonable' or 'steep' prices in your own opinion, just buy that same item from another shop then....unless you end up like one 'Jason' who was 'forced' to purchase a EOS 20D just bcos he opened the box for viewing :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.