What setup is best to photo teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Sep 1, 2004
Blue/Green Planet
Hello all,

I have been asked by a customer to provide a DSLR setup to photograph teeth,

I have not had reason to photograph teeth before and was wondering if someone has

and can share their setup suggestions. Or anyone can suggest such a setup :dunno:

I have tried to do so at home and produced what I thought was ok with .....

DSLR with extension tube (1.4) and 50mm f/1.8 lens and room lighting (high ISO).

Any suggestions are welcome what ever they are (and maybe why).

Thank you to anyone that replies :)

I think DSLR + 50-60mm macro lens + ring flash should be good enuff.

I think DSLR + 50-60mm macro lens + ring flash should be good enuff.

Hi megaweb,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes a ring flash I think will be needed ....

I have been thinking ( Smile ... front teeth ) not thinking about inside the mouth :think:

Also, I had been thinking of the camera being in a fixed position as with the persons head (not hand held)....

Therefore a ring flash would be needed.

As for the macro lens or the 50mm with extension tube ...since any movement by the person holding the camera is concerned....

I would guess as small aperture as possible is selected to minimize focal loss due to depth of field (slight movements)

Sorry if I explain this wrong. But.

To minimize this possibility and ensure a greater depth of field by using say f/4.5 or higher..

will require a ring flash.

Thanks again for your reply :)

normal_DSC_7881.jpg

think tis ringflash abit too big... lol...

Instead of ring flash, how about a strong led torch to shine into the mouth?

You may have to soften the light with a DIY diffuser. As led is close to daylight white balance should be close.

Hi megaweb,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes a ring flash I think will be needed ....

I have been thinking ( Smile ... front teeth ) not thinking about inside the mouth :think:

Also, I had been thinking of the camera being in a fixed position as with the persons head (not hand held)....

Therefore a ring flash would be needed.

As for the macro lens or the 50mm with extension tube ...since any movement by the person holding the camera is concerned....

I would guess as small aperture as possible is selected to minimize focal loss due to depth of field (slight movements)

Sorry if I explain this wrong. But.

To minimize this possibility and ensure a greater depth of field by using say f/4.5 or higher..

will require a ring flash.

Thanks again for your reply :)
yes, you need a 60mm macro lens with ring flash, best tool for the job.

f4.5 still unable to provide enough DOF for close up of mouth and teeth, try f8 and above.

btw, this set up is used by many dental surgeons also.

btw, if you are talking about set up photographing beautiful teeth for advertising,

you need a tripod, a large softbox and a longer focal length lens, plus a model with beautiful teeth and able to hold his/her pose for close up shot.

btw, if you are talking about set up photographing beautiful teeth for advertising,

you need a tripod, a large softbox and a longer focal length lens, plus a model with beautiful teeth and able to hold his/her pose for close up shot.

I just shot this last week.

I asked the beautiful model to take out her teeth to put on the shooting tabel for me to shoot. As you can see I haven't got the time to use Photoshop to tidy up the teeth yet: :)

sion6061.jpg

Catchlight has a point.

Are u required to shoot a cosmetic kind of outcome. ie nice set of teeth or a clinical documentation of the teeth?

Anyone recall the scene from Silence of the lamb?

There was a attachment for the polaroid camera which allowed a fixed distance from the mouth for shooting inside the mouth for dental records.

Using ext tube will result in shallow DOF for your object.

Using ext tube will result in shallow DOF for your object.

Firstly I would like to thank all of you for yous suggestions :thumbsup:

Yes megaweb I did find that a problem.

As I had tested/suggested this setup for a customer wanting to photo graph eyeballs, I simply thought it might do the job.

I had not considered shooting teeth within the mouth :nono:

The customer has a dental surgery and needs to take shots for both explanation to client and for records.

As the customer will be using a Canon DSLR, I have suggested the 100mm Macro and Ring Flash.

The 60mm Macro will not mount the ring flash :cry:

Again, I would like to thank you all :thumbsup:

Oh.... now I have a customer that wants to photo new born prawns (quite small) and using a tri view microscope :bsmilie:

One thing I am suggesting in both places is to run DSLR Remote Pro ... quite useful if using Canon gear.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.