What settings you usually set on your DSLR during walkaround shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack_low

Feb 13, 2006
East
www.jacklowgallery.zenfolio.com
Just wondering what settings you guys usually set while going for a day walkaround shoot. i'm a Canon user, and i find myself using the 'P' mode most of the time, altering the meter and iso depending on the lighting of the environment.

anyone depends more on advance settings such as aperture/shutter speed priority or even manual mode? I don really use them unless I'm shooting certain particular subjects such as or fireworks.

just curious about how the majority uses their DSLRs. =)

I always set to shutter priority mode. around 1/100 at least.
Depending on the time of the day, or have you entered the shade, set from ISO 200 to ISO 800.

What you want least is a blur photos when target appears. Sometimes you only have a split-second of opportunity window.

Aperture priority 85% of the time, almost forgotten about P and S mode :sweat:

Aperture priority 85% of the time, almost forgotten about P and S mode :sweat:

care to explain the advantages to be in aperture priority mode? i understand from Andy about shutter priority mode, and it makes good sense. mine hand stability is around the 1/100 range too, so probably will start using that.

aperture priority mode is useful in controlling Depth of Field.
Usually will adjust ISO in auto/manually to compensate for instability issue. The Anti-Shake in KM system also help in that.

Aperture Priority mode makes sure that you can lock the lens at a low F, if you are going for portraiture streetshot so that you can get nice bokeh. However, for that to work, you need to get very very fast lens. (Which then most of the time, the shutter speed is not much problem. Imagine shooting in f1.4 in daylight. what would the shutter speed be?) :)

e.g. I achieve very shallow DOF in this photo to make the subject separated from the background.
PICT9429-35copy.jpg

Almost perpertually on A mode....

f4 setting, and I change the ISO to suit the surroundings...

slr with 35mm lens
or dslr (assuming not FF) with 28mm lens

auto ISO
a-mode @ f4 outdoors; indoors @f2-2.8

+ all the luck for the day

aperture priority.all the time.

In SG, most of the time in M mode.
When travelling, most of the time either P or A mode.

"close my eye"
"use feeling, turn turn and turn the mode dial"
Kena which one then that will be my shooting mode for the day ;p

lady;

the force is strong with you, eh ? :thumbsup:

"close my eye"
"use feeling, turn turn and turn the mode dial"
Kena which one then that will be my shooting mode for the day ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.