What settings should I use for this kind of shots ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is panning, the photographer moves the camera at the same time as the plane moves, so the plane is always in the same position in the lens but the background will move away and becomes blur.

WSSS .... hmmmm ..... NOTAMs ..... u work in Airlines or Air Traffic Controller? Anyway, that is done by panning :D

I am neither of those, just a big aviation photographer. Once i get my camera probably next week, I will go try out that kind of shots. Pity , Singapore weather has been pretty bad these past few days.

AirbusnBoeing said:
I am neither of those, just a big aviation photographer. Once i get my camera probably next week, I will go try out that kind of shots. Pity , Singapore weather has been pretty bad these past few days.

Then how do you take those nice shots of planes? From the viewing gallery???

blurblock said:
1/50 might as well don't pan :D ...... 1/2 or 1 sec is more like it :D
1/2to 1 sec? :dunno: I think it will be blurred pic rather than Panning shots. Usually panning is done in the range of about 1/30 to 1/60 depending on how fast the subject is moving. In fact, if you are panning a F1 car, 1/100 may still be too slow if i am not wrong.

nemesis32 said:
1/2to 1 sec? :dunno: I think it will be blurred pic rather than Panning shots. Usually panning is done in the range of about 1/30 to 1/60 depending on how fast the subject is moving. In fact, if you are panning a F1 car, 1/100 may still be too slow if i am not wrong.

Maybe :) .... but I would think of using a Tripod with a panning head for panning anyway :D........

blurblock said:
1/50 might as well don't pan :D ...... 1/2 or 1 sec is more like it :D

1/2 or 1sec is way too slow for daytime panning :) will properly get an overexposed shot... :nono:

To freeze the motion of the plane totally as in the shot, which is travelling at over 100km/h, and with tele lens probably (u wont be allowed so close to the runway anyway) 1/100 might even be too slow.

Hi, this shot was taken from the viewing gallery and it's the best place to practice for such shots.

Sometimes, you get beautiful shots like this !

Japan Airlines

Emirates

2 of my favourite airlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.