What settings for nite shots in airplane

Status
Not open for further replies.

knvb24

Jul 2, 2009
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has experience in taking night shots from your window seat? What settings to use?

Especially when its landing or Take off over the anchorage of the tanker/ships.. :)

Gladly appreciates if someone would share.

usually night scene you need to use tripod, can you set up a tripod at your seat?

or else you can use a 30mm f1.4 with ISO 3200~25600

from my experience nowadays, the cabin crew (esp SQ) will ask u to switch off your camera due to the "switch off all electronics" period before the seat belt sign switches off. but there is a loop hole cuz the cabin crew will still need to strap themselves to their seats. ensure your flash isn't on auto. ;)

anyway shooting from plane at nite is the worse situation u can be in. using a tripod dun really help much unfortunately cuz the whole d*** plane vibrates so much (and it moves...). even if u try to go against any head rest, windows, etc etc etc. still vibrate.. going higher on ISO and larger aperture may be the only way i guess.. but u will get noise and and stuff.. thats my point of view.. may have better ways?:dunno: or shoot during dawn or dusk will be better?

jus my thoughts.. :)

hi,

Yeah i have taken day shots before.. looks good though.. but night shots have yet to try..
i will go with higher ISO.. i think thats a good suggestion.

and its true.. i always wait til the cabin crew straps themself up 1st then i will take out my camera...

Thanks anyway..

No idea leh..
Have not tried it before.. ;)

But for night shots, tripod is advisable. So bring a mini tripod if you can.

tripod is advisable when the subject doesn't move with respect to camera during the shooting, at least on one plane. With all the vibrating during take off, tripod will possibly make things WORSE, if ever you can manage to erect a tripod in the first place.

isn't erecting a tripod breach of safety? just imagine what might happen if -something- does happen during takeoff/landing. cheap tripods might break and injure the user or others, or slow down the user should he/she need to evacuate the seat quickly

isn't erecting a tripod breach of safety? just imagine what might happen if -something- does happen during takeoff/landing. cheap tripods might break and injure the user or others, or slow down the user should he/she need to evacuate the seat quickly
Civil Aviation Authority Of Singapore (CAAS): Air Operator Certificates Requirements (AOCR) prohibits the use of Portable Electronics Devices (PEDs) during take-off and landing. All passengers are to comply with the aircraft commander's instructions in any situation as per the Air Navigation Order (ANO).

But of course, I had seen PEDs being used during take-off and landing all the time, including the flight crews. While many people are sceptical about the consequences of the possible effects caused by electromagnetic radiation to avionics equipments, I had seen several reports of electro-magnetic interference resulting in some sort of unexplained anomaly within the aircraft Flight Control System (FCS) in mine line of work.

So be it a hanphone or a camera, use it at your own risk during take-off and landing. ;)

mini tripod is still a tripod..no?

Hey guys.. thanks for the advice.. but i guess i wont use a tripod after all.. looks quite D**b to b using a tripod when im sitting in economy section.. with little leg room space..or even something to place my Mini tripod on.. ;p

set to biggest possible aperture and highest possible iso, any image stabilizer would be a plus as well

set to biggest possible aperture and highest possible iso, any image stabilizer would be a plus as well

Roger that.. This is wat i will be doing.. Use a higher ISO + IS..

So be it a hanphone or a camera, use it at your own risk during take-off and landing. ;)

While the risk is negligible, it isn't merely personal. Whoever takes the risk takes the liberty to risk everyone else's life on the plane as much as he does his own.

erm I would suggest, enjoy the ride.. ;)

While the risk is negligible, it isn't merely personal. Whoever takes the risk takes the liberty to risk everyone else's life on the plane as much as he does his own.

Agree to this comment :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.