What settings and gears does this picture use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
wallpaper_lg.1.2.jpg

I am wondering what settings do I use in order to mimic this photo.
My best gears are 350D and 17-40mm F/4L, and Sprint Pro. ;p
Where do I focus on if I use AF?
http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0604/images/wallpaper_lg.1.2.jpg

17-40L should be able to do it... cos dun see any barrel distortion in the pic... as in those 10-20mm kind which have pretty obvious distortion on the corners. unless this 1 is a crop...

settings would be idea from F8 to F13. aperture priority. depends on the sky as well...

anyway this pic look so much like a render thats done on the PC...

ortega said:
yes but he should

it is becoming a lost art
even the new lenses have lost the markings
I'll admit I'm guilty of it too :sweat:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
17-40L should be able to do it... cos dun see any barrel distortion in the pic... as in those 10-20mm kind which have pretty obvious distortion on the corners. unless this 1 is a crop...

settings would be idea from F8 to F13. aperture priority. depends on the sky as well...

anyway this pic look so much like a render thats done on the PC...
Been to Glenn Canyon National Park in Utah a few times. Been on the river and on the canyon rim. I can say, during summer, this is exactly the scene you will see. Beautiful place. Anyone here who is into landscape, Arizonia and Utah are must visit, even for a portrait shooter like me.

ortega said:
technology make photogs lazy

I do try to use it as much as possible
but not always :embrass:
But seriously without the markings, how do you know what's the HF distance? I have to gauge, very luan.

Even with markings on my lens, I still tend to just focus lock on a slightly further subject and do a preview. Of course if not a very bright day, preview also very difficult, so use smaller aperture for insurance.:)
anyway, for a wide lens, not much need to hyperfocus.

ortega said:
yes but he should

Why? It's pointless in this case. Never mind that the difference is so microscopic that the mechanical focusing tolerances are probably much larger than the difference between "infinity" and "hyperfocal" focusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.