What setting to take orchard road lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahhoe

Aug 10, 2004
i am using nikon d70s. Kit lens. Any preferred setting to use when taking orchard lighting? If built in flash is used, the background will be dark and the person will be bright. Is there any way to counter this? I dun hav a external flash

i am using nikon d70s. Kit lens. Any preferred setting to use when taking orchard lighting? If built in flash is used, the background will be dark and the person will be bright. Is there any way to counter this? I dun hav a external flash

Use manual mode, use ur flash as a fill flash(adjust flash power manually if d70s allows it) and then set ur aperture and shutter speed accordingly till u get a properly exposed shot.

another tip: pump your iso as high as you can tahan the noise! at iso 1600, the lights really glow.. beautiful. good luck

another tip: pump your iso as high as you can tahan the noise! at iso 1600, the lights really glow.. beautiful. good luck

you mean without the flash? Will there be a lot of ghosting?

You might need a tripod for slower shutter speed

say u take at 25mm
meter the background (no need the person) with a slow shutter and high aperture (either Tv or Av mode, ex 1/20s and f/11, can set the Ev to get desired background brightness)
then switch to M mode with the setting just now.
Put the person in the scene. Focus, meter the person for flash power. (can set flash Ev to get proper brightness)
Shoot.
The background would not be dark because you did meter it properly
the person also not too bright because you did meter it properly

This is what i did and it work well for me. Not sure abt those pro here.

Try the following:
1) Meter the scene without your subject/person in the frame. This will be your correct exposure. Use either aperture- or shutter-mode, just make sure it is correctly exposed. DO this step without popping up your flash first.

2) Set your in-built flash EV compensation (not your main exposure compensation) to -1.5EV or -2EV.

3) Set your camera to Manual mode, select the correct exposure settings obtained from #1, mount it on a tripod and frame the scene again with your subject. Use a warm white balance settings to avoid having blue flash lighting.

4) Activate your in-built flash and take the picture.

*Shutter speeds may be as low as 1/2 or even 1 sec. Remind your subject not to move until you are sure the shot is done. (Usually people tend to move after the flash goes off, which in this case will blur the picture as the shutter is not yet closed after the flash fires)

just depends on what u wanna shoot. i used a setting of around this a lot of the time:

1/3s, ISO200, f/8 with flash. well, i think it was that. i dun have my camera with me atm to check.

use tripod, then long shutter:cool: sure :thumbsup:

3) Set your camera to Manual mode, select the correct exposure settings obtained from #1, mount it on a tripod and frame the scene again with your subject. Use a warm white balance settings to avoid having blue flash lighting.

I thought most DSLRs have in-built exposure function for Manual mode? By adjusting shutter and aperture values separately you can see in the viewfinder or on the display the actual exposure?

meter a background... suppose if it says about f4, 1/4 or 1" then u do a test shot... if the background is nice. then u add the person in. now set to rear curtain, then when its exposed, it will fire the flash when shutter is about to close.

this week no good to take the lighting, wind is strong, try next week, just a piece of advise

You just want to take the lights and the nicely decorated buildings or you want to take a picture of your friend with the background in it as well? :think:

If you want to do the former, pump up your ISO and set manual mode and do test shots and see.

If you want to do the later, pump up the ISO and maybe use the rear curtain sync or slow curtain sync function for the flash.

If images blur, consider using a tripod or a monopod.

Hope this helps....

Status
Not open for further replies.