what setting for silky smooth water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

telefax

Jul 6, 2005
Hi all,

I would like to capture those silky water effects using an ND filter x8 during daytime.

What mode should I set in and how slow?

TIA

telefax said:
Hi all,

I would like to capture those silky water effects using an ND filter x8 during daytime.

What mode should I set in and how slow?

TIA

depends on how fast the water is flowing. Typically, about 1/2 to 2 seconds should get you pretty smooth water

if u r using DSLR or prosumer cam...just set the dial to Tv and set more than 1 second exposure depending on the speed of the water is flowing.

Thanks all for the input,

Yes I am using DSLR, but when i tried capturing a flowing water under a running tape using ND8 , didnt seem to capture the effect.

Anyway, I will try to set to Tv/Shutter mode and try for few secs

Appreciate the help

telefax said:
Thanks all for the input,

Yes I am using DSLR, but when i tried capturing a flowing water under a running tape using ND8 , didnt seem to capture the effect.

Anyway, I will try to set to Tv/Shutter mode and try for few secs

Appreciate the help

wah, wad a waste of water. Raffles City B1 got nice water feature. take from L2 directly down. :)

bracket the shutter speed

catchlights said:
Very Zen..... :think:

master, where did you learn this from.....Shao Lin Si?

how about this one, over a long time(shutter) the more the water moves, the more still are the reflections :bsmilie:

sORe-EyEz said:
wah, wad a waste of water. Raffles City B1 got nice water feature. take from L2 directly down. :)

aiyah...the water eventually flow into a kettle :)

user111 said:
bracket the shutter speed

user111: how do I do this? Pardon me, still new...and pressed for time cos will be out of town soon

RTFM (read the friendly manual):bsmilie:

it should be inside. look under bracketing. bracketing basically takes 3 photos (or more if ur cam supports it) of different shutter speedss. you can then choose the best photo fo the three

Since you have the benefit of immediate review, do this.

Unless you want a "shakey" image, these types of images are taken with the camera on a tripod.

Set your camera to shutter priority.

Depending on the flow of the water and the effect you want, set the shutter speed to 1/4 second, then 1/2 second, then 1 second, then 2 seconds. One of these shutter speeds should give you what you want.

I think for daytime even with NDx8, you still need to shoot at f22, or the smallest possible aperture to maximise the shutter speeds. Depending on weather, you may be getting shutter speeds from 2-8s. Of course, the longer the better if you want silker water, but there's a limit in the day, unless you want to resort to stacking more filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.