What risk when trade in Hand Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silence Sky

Deregistered
Sep 5, 2006
Hi Everyone:

May I know, when I trade in hand phone, it is possible for someone else to extract any previously saved information?
I have heard that it is possible to recover deleted data in a computer, is it the same case for a Hand phone?

What is the safest procedure I should perform before I trade in my hand phone?

I have got some very sentitive info, and could not afford to share with others.;p

Please advise, Thank you.:)

if there is any memory card, of course just take out the card will do

and for the ppl contact information, go the phone book and delete all.

for sms, again delete all

then after that go and restore factory settings.

things should be all cleared up..

actually dun really need to worry abt it la.... if u got any sms like "i love u mary" etc etc. ppl wont bother abt it one :p

i bought a number of 2nd hand phones and in fact the ppl dun even bother to clean it up, with all the msgs and contact info inside..

the thing is: wat can i do with all these msgs and contact info?
answer: Nothing ! because those ppl in the contact dun even know me!

unless u store credit card info or password inside, but if u have deleted it away, should be ok...

if there is any memory card, of course just take out the card will do

and for the ppl contact information, go the phone book and delete all.

for sms, again delete all

then after that go and restore factory settings.

things should be all cleared up..

actually dun really need to worry abt it la.... if u got any sms like "i love u mary" etc etc. ppl wont bother abt it one :p

i bought a number of 2nd hand phones and in fact the ppl dun even bother to clean it up, with all the msgs and contact info inside..

the thing is: wat can i do with all these msgs and contact info?
answer: Nothing ! because those ppl in the contact dun even know me!

unless u store credit card info or password inside, but if u have deleted it away, should be ok...

Thank you, Sir.

I am just worried about it, because I have saved some highly sensitive information. I couldn't imagine life if it ever gets circulated in the WWW.

I too a clip of myself while doing big business in the loo.:devil:

Hope see more advises, before I trade in my phone.:embrass:

I too a clip of myself while doing big business in the loo.:devil:

omg...!?!?! filming urself doing business in the loo :bigeyes:

frankly, after u delete the clip away and if the new user doesnt know there is such thing inside, i dun think one would spend bucks to restore info... its very expensive even if its possible...

how much is the trade in price for the phone? if its < $100, maybe u keep it urself...

omg...!?!?! filming urself doing business in the loo :bigeyes:

frankly, after u delete the clip away and if the new user doesnt know there is such thing inside, i dun think one would spend bucks to restore info... its very expensive even if its possible...

how much is the trade in price for the phone? if its < $100, maybe u keep it urself...

See... now you are scaring me liao.

Can deleted data in Hand phone be restored or not?

more help please.:)

not only all these info. there are other info to delete such as call logs, sms logs, gprs cache, calendar, notes.

Firmware upgrade or update might not do much other then write over the same location where the old firmware is. Your existing data on the device will still be there. Depending on how the device is designed, old data once deleted could also be retrieved provide it is not over written with new data in the same location.

Your best bet to prevent data falling into the hands of others would be to destroy the device. Literally break the thing to pieces. Shred the thing to pieces. This is a common practice by government agencies and companies handling sensitive information stored on electronic media around the world.

Whenever i dispose of old my hard disk, i will dismantle it to pieces, rendering it unusable. This way no data can be "undeleted" in anyway by anyone.

I believe you don't want to do all of that destroying stuff i described. What you can do is delete and write/save new data into the phone a few times. Make sure every cycle you flood it till the memory is full, delete all and repeat it a few times.

Firmware upgrade or update might not do much other then write over the same location where the old firmware is. Your existing data on the device will still be there. Depending on how the device is designed, old data once deleted could also be retrieved provide it is not over written with new data in the same location.

Your best bet to prevent data falling into the hands of others would be to destroy the device. Literally break the thing to pieces. Shred the thing to pieces. This is a common practice by government agencies and companies handling sensitive information stored on electronic media around the world.

Whenever i dispose of old my hard disk, i will dismantle it to pieces, rendering it unusable. This way no data can be "undeleted" in anyway by anyone.

I believe you don't want to do all of that destroying stuff i described. What you can do is delete and write/save new data into the phone a few times. Make sure every cycle you flood it till the memory is full, delete all and repeat it a few times.

You are correct. If the person die die want to recover the data, he can go all the way to the bits and bytes. So destruction is the best way. Highly classified data is always destroyed physically.

You risk being the next homegrown Tammy superstar especially if you got more than a loo production episode.

My best advice is:

1. Send it to the CSC to have the on borard cache flashed DoD.

2. Sell it to an individual instead- they may not have the gear to retrieve. :bsmilie:

Thanks Bartman. I will do what you have said.

You risk being the next homegrown Tammy superstar especially if you got more than a loo production episode.

You reminded me of Tammy, I also got similar grade.:lovegrin:

Must be got Tammy NYP like clips la..

Not bad what, fast way to success and getting attention! Better than starting inane threads in Clubsnap now and then! :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.