What resolution you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohweekuan

May 6, 2004
North
What resolution of the picture do you normally use for taking normal photos if you have no intension of developing.
Only want to store in the computer only. :dunno:
Wanted to have an idea what is the size most ppl are using now.

basically full resolution all the way :) The maximum my memory stick can afford to keep.

For me, I always use the lowest resolution at 640 x 480 for pics that are only
meant for keeping.

Lowest resolution = low file size, so it will not take up too much of my HD
space and its easier for emailing puporses as it will not take up too much of
the recipient's email capacity.

Use the highest your camera can offer .. ;)

For me always shoot at 6MP, and resize before gives it to clients. Some of them do want 6MP files for printing ... and it will also helps in case you want to crop the images and reduce it size. So shoot it in big files .. :)

i disagree on using full resolution if its not for printing. i guess if you have loads of memory then its fine.... but its totally unecessary because on the computer screen, something shot at 2 mp will look exactly the same as something shot at 6mp.

but of course if you want to crop it, haveing more resolution is better. gives you more options. for casual shot just to view, 2mp is more than enough for the computer screen, unless you are using a 30inch cinema display...

kohweekuan said:
What resolution of the picture do you normally use for taking normal photos if you have no intension of developing.
Only want to store in the computer only. :dunno:
Wanted to have an idea what is the size most ppl are using now.

I don't normally shoot to store in computer only, so I shoot the max resolution my camera can offer me. Resize it downwards if I need to email it or post to web.

Sometimes if you shoot a nice photo but can't print it to a suitable size you want because you shoot too low a resolution.... er... the feeling hard to express...

yes. I always go for 6mp and super fine. Due to storage issue, once all photos downloaded to PC, I clear them from CF card and always really for next shooting. ;)

Snowcrash said:
Sometimes if you shoot a nice photo but can't print it to a suitable size you want because you shoot too low a resolution.... er... the feeling hard to express...

Totally agreed! Once I was told to shoot using 3MP for an event and I got one of the nice photos that need to crop it to make it tighter and nicer. Guess what after cropping, the quality was lost some what ... :cry:

So now I shoot all in 6MP and decide later what size they want, it is easier to step down but difficult to step up the size! :D

cookiez said:
For me, I always use the lowest resolution at 640 x 480 for pics that are only
meant for keeping.

Lowest resolution = low file size, so it will not take up too much of my HD
space and its easier for emailing puporses as it will not take up too much of
the recipient's email capacity.

you never know when you want to print them, so keep at the max possible.

if HD space will never be an issue, then of course, max would be best. you can always "down-scale", but cannot "up-scale". :think:

if you only keep softcopy to be viewed on comp, i think a 1mb - 2mb file should be more than sufficient. this would be an intemediate / normal setting for most cameras. this is too large to share (via e-mail), and too small to develop (4R)... sigh :hung:

Cactus jACK said:
if HD space will never be an issue, then of course, max would be best. you can always "down-scale", but cannot "up-scale". :think:

if you only keep softcopy to be viewed on comp, i think a 1mb - 2mb file should be more than sufficient. this would be an intemediate / normal setting for most cameras. this is too large to share (via e-mail), and too small to develop (4R)... sigh :hung:

for mi, i shoot at abt 1.8mb file depending on the pic..
2048 x 1360 pixels [fine] on EOS 300D camera..
this is to allow more shots esp when covering events for my school..
i do not have to develop it.. i juz burn them out on cdr..

you may wan to consider abt 2mb for your finalized picture to store.. if you dun wan to develop them..

i dun wan to crop the pictures too much cause i wan to train myself to get the best desired picture every shot..

setting of 2048 x 1360 pixels [fine] on EOS 300D camera is not big enough to develop 4R mehz?? :think: can someone clarify mi?

thankz guys.. and ladys.. haha.. :sweatsm:

Get what you mean, will then sign and ask why never use full size right... :D

Snowcrash said:
I don't normally shoot to store in computer only, so I shoot the max resolution my camera can offer me. Resize it downwards if I need to email it or post to web.

Thanks a lot for a your comments.
It gave me an idea of what i have to keep in mind b4 deciding what to use for the size. :D

Echo22 said:
for mi, i shoot at abt 1.8mb file depending on the pic..
2048 x 1360 pixels [fine] on EOS 300D camera..
this is to allow more shots esp when covering events for my school..
i do not have to develop it.. i juz burn them out on cdr..

you may wan to consider abt 2mb for your finalized picture to store.. if you dun wan to develop them..

i dun wan to crop the pictures too much cause i wan to train myself to get the best desired picture every shot..

setting of 2048 x 1360 pixels [fine] on EOS 300D camera is not big enough to develop 4R mehz?? :think: can someone clarify mi?

thankz guys.. and ladys.. haha.. :sweatsm:

I really dun know, why buy a 6MP camera to shoot at 3MP :dunno: . Its like buying a WRX to drive around town streets......but then, some people do that too :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.