What rechargable batt good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kensh09

Feb 1, 2005
Any recommedation? For my 420ex. Lasting and quick charge....

sanyo 2500mah batts are the best... longest lasting NiMH batts in the market.

tao said:
sanyo 2500mah batts are the best... longest lasting NiMH batts in the market.

I second that. Make sure you get a good charger to go with them.

which is a good charger? the original Sanyo charger? or the compact Sanyo charger?

thx. :)

The Maha or Lightning Pack chargers are pretty good.. Other than that, I'd recommend the Sony Refresh Charger if charging times are not too much of an issue.
Always a good idea to refresh the cells once in a while if they're used for high-current devices.

I'd recommend using NiCD if flash charging rates are critical. Just carry one or two extra set(s) if need be. NiCD batteries have higher discharge currents than NiMH and generally are damaged less by the high discharge currents.

Firefox said:
The Maha or Lightning Pack chargers are pretty good.. Other than that, I'd recommend the Sony Refresh Charger if charging times are not too much of an issue.
Always a good idea to refresh the cells once in a while if they're used for high-current devices.

I'd recommend using NiCD if flash charging rates are critical. Just carry one or two extra set(s) if need be. NiCD batteries have higher discharge currents than NiMH and generally are damaged less by the high discharge currents.

Mr Fox, what would you estimate the range of surge current to be for a, say, average GN 30+ flash unit like an SB-25 that take 4AAs?

kahheng said:
Mr Fox, what would you estimate the range of surge current to be for a, say, average GN 30+ flash unit like an SB-25 that take 4AAs?

I wouldn't know.. Maybe you can try emailing Nikon on that.. LOL...

But I do know that NiCD's (especially those with R suffixes) have higher current discharge.
Hence, remote controlled cars/ planes hobbyists always use NiCD battery packs. A 3,000mAH pack can very easily be fully drained in about 1/2 hour :bigeyes: under such usages.

Also, NiCD batteries have a slower self-discharge rate than NiMH. They (NiCD) discharge about 10% capacity on after the first day and about 10%/ month thereafter. NiMH is about 50% more than NiCD.

Currently, there is no reason to use NiCds for hotshoe flashes considering their lower power density and higher memory effect. NiMh have long surpassed NiCd in this area of usage.

Firefox said:

But I do know that NiCD's (especially those with R suffixes) have higher current discharge.
Hence, remote controlled cars/ planes hobbyists always use NiCD battery packs. A 3,000mAH pack can very easily be fully drained in about 1/2 hour :bigeyes: under such usages.

Also, NiCD batteries have a slower self-discharge rate than NiMH. They (NiCD) discharge about 10% capacity on after the first day and about 10%/ month thereafter. NiMH is about 50% more than NiCD.

Thanks for the reply.

AA powered flashes aside, I am planning to recell two high voltage flash packs and I am wondering if I would actually get much difference between nicads and nimh. I guess I wouldn't know unless I run a comparison test for the same device, which is something that I won't do because of the bother ;-)

Your second point about the rate of self-discharge is a very good one.

Zerstorer said:
Currently, there is no reason to use NiCds for hotshoe flashes considering their lower power density and higher memory effect. NiMh have long surpassed NiCd in this area of usage.

I agree with you here actually. AA nicads are just not energy dense enough compared to the biggest of the AA nimhs

Firefox said:

hi, I dont know anything about electrical stuff, wat is flash charging rate and higher discharge current?

Right now i using GP 2300 mAh, but they dont seem to last long enough. Have to get many packs instead.

Firefox said:

Hey, I must thank you for helping make up my mind for replacement batteries for my high voltage packs.

Sanyo has very good literature about their nicads and nimh batteries here for those interested:

http://www.sanyo.com/batteries/lit.cfm

I am sticking with nicads for this application. :thumbsup:

Firefox said:

Can anyone clarify this?
Can you actually use different brand chargers on different brands of batteries with different mAH? e.g. use Sony Refresh Charger (which comes with 2300mAH Sony Batts) on 2500mAH Sanyo batteries ?

kahheng said:
I agree with you here actually. AA nicads are just not energy dense enough compared to the biggest of the AA nimhs
Well, I've been a user of NiCds since from eveready yellow cells to those ugly sanyo green things available at SLT. The transition from alkalines to NiCds for flash usage in the 90s was like night and day. NiMhs are also faster in recycling than alkalines and I doubt they lose much to NiCds in this regard.

With the advances in NiMh batteries, I wouldn't want to go back to the problems of NiCds:-memory effect, low power density, not to mention being too toxic for landfills.

The largest NiCd AAs now rate at about 1000mAh vs 2500mAh for NiMh.

If faster recycle times are needed an external high-voltage pack is more feasible than carrying multiple sets of NiCds. Fumbling with multiple battery swaps during a shoot can be disrupting.

NiMhs main weakness is their rated 300-500 cycles, but that has not been much of an issue, I just relegate mine to other duties once they start weakening and that usually means after over a year of usage, which is good enough for me. After all, newer and better batteries just keep appearing and the Sanyo 2500s in an external battery pack can last really long.

kensh09:
1)make sure your batteries are freshly charged before use
2)make sure you have a decent intelligent charger
3)GP batteries have had a reputation for early failure.

I use Sanyos with their own charger and a Rayovac fast charger, they last long enough for serious usage.

Zerstorer said:
NiMhs main weakness is their rated 300-500 cycles, but that has not been much of an issue, I just relegate mine to other duties once they start weakening and that usually means after over a year of usage, which is good enough for me. After all, newer and better batteries just keep appearing and the Sanyo 2500s in an external battery pack can last really long.

I think the 2500 Sanyos are simply quite amazing. You get about the same capacity as a QTM Battery 1+ at a fraction of the price of this stupidly expensive 6v external lead acid battery, without any tethered annoyance.

Oh yeah, I have older 1600 GPs and Sanyos from up to 5 years ago and they do very good in radios and portable CD players.

kensh09 said:
hi, I dont know anything about electrical stuff, wat is flash charging rate and higher discharge current?

Right now i using GP 2300 mAh, but they dont seem to last long enough. Have to get many packs instead.

Wouldn't use GPs if I can help it. Sanyos can't be beat. They are so far ahead of the game in terms of R&D and manufacturing capability it's not funny.

So where can i get this 2500 Sanyo batt+charger at good price? Their site doesnt seem to have the 2500 version.

22191.jpg

22208.jpg

Is these the 1 you all are refering to?

kahheng said:
Wouldn't use GPs if I can help it. Sanyos can't be beat. They are so far ahead of the game in terms of R&D and manufacturing capability it's not funny.

Hahaha... Everybody says the same thing.. And I agree.. Don't bother with GP batteries or chargers.. They simply pael in comparison to the competition....

kensh09 said:
So where can i get this 2500 Sanyo batt+charger at good price? Their site doesnt seem to have the 2500 version.

22191.jpg

22208.jpg

Is these the 1 you all are refering to?

The batteries don't look like that, at least they don't look like the ones Eastgear sells. Anyway you can get the Sanyo 2500/chargers at Eastgear at Peninsula Plaza. www.eastgear.com.sg

Status
Not open for further replies.