What r your views abt lady photographers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwi2

Deregistered
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
Warning: This thread may generate some biased views...

I overheard a conversation among some (amateur?) guy photographers in their mid-20s on the MRT. They were (as some guys do!) talking about girls... .then the conversation turned to women photographers. One of them commented it's more rare to find gals taking up photography... seems like this is more of a guy thing, just like there are more male soccer fans than female ones. Another commented he noticed women photographers are not "chio" (pretty). Dunno why but if they are, people will want to take pictures of them, not they taking pictures!

What are your views on this?

For the past 1 year, I have seen there is an increase in women holding camera, going around shooting. I do not know would one consider that as lady photographer, but as far as I am concern, they are one that holding the camera. Especially with the price of the DC coming down.

In fact, I personally know quite a number of women that 'play' with camera. ;)

a photographer is a photographer... whether ur a guy or a girl, welcome to the club anyway!

I think those guys are still very immature although they are in their mid-20s. Either that or they've been too busy taking voyeur shots of women to notice that there are more women taking up photography nowadays especially with digital cameras being more user friendly and affordable. I've seen so many women carrying cameras and tripods around also. Yes, a lot of technical stuff usually involves more men but these days women are becoming quite savvy with photography, computers, cars, etc.

Generally, there are more male photographers than females, but some in clubs or societies the demography might be quite different. 50:50 or so.

Anyway, quite a number of guys are into photography partially because they are gadget freaks. Those female photographers that I know tend to be rather unconcerned with their equipment and the mechanics of it.

i agree with zerstorer, that female photogs tend to be not so into the gadget technicalities and latest releases. there are more female photogs, i believe partly becos of digital photography, which from a mere possession of a convenient memory collector, it becomes a more serious hobby. thats how it went for me :D

Personally, i took up photography because the only place i can hide from the cameras is to be behind it. was a very shy kid. and also because i can't draw very well.

BUT, anybody notice that male photographers usually aren't exactly handsome either. 'cos if they are, people will want to take pictures of them, not they taking pictures? :devil:

So does this mean we are an un-chio bunch? :D

Welll, that's not entirely true. I do know female photographers who're very savvy with computers, gadgets or cameras.... but of course it's not the bulk of them....

There're always counter examples...
With regards to the looks part... hhmmmm I've actually seen a few female photographers who don't look too bad :D

Originally posted by berryhappy
BUT, anybody notice that male photographers usually aren't exactly handsome either. 'cos if they are, people will want to take pictures of them, not they taking pictures? :devil

Good one! I'll bet those guys who passed these remarks r no lookers themselves. :thumbsup:

Heheh,

By passing such remarks, I don't think those guys are anywhere near "photographers" category. More like some immature kids who just bug their papa to buy them a new camera and was feeling proud about it.

I do believe a real photographer clearly understands what it takes to be one, and gender is definitely not one of them.

Who cares if you are a guy, a gal, or a bisexual (or even a duck? Quack!), it's the pictures that counts.

:devil:

Lucky I am into photography and I also handsome.:D

Originally posted by Newman

Whoooaa!!! That's 1 short statement for man, one giant :thumbsup: for male photographers!!! :D ;p

Originally posted by berryhappy
BUT, anybody notice that male photographers usually aren't exactly handsome either. 'cos if they are, people will want to take pictures of them, not they taking pictures? :devil:

Ok seriously...

Well.... It's a guy thing to maybe look at "pretty" gals. When we talk about portrait shoots, be it outdoors or studio, naturally we tend to think of female models rather than male ones. So I suppose when it comes to photography, people tend to associate it with the male stereotype of thinking. Just like when you are in engineering in the uni, pple tend to have the stereotype that the gals there are geeky or look :confused: . From my experience, guys like to go to arts faculty to "bio" at the arts gals. :) So I suppose in photography, some pple might just think in such stereotypes, that lady photographers are not "chio".

From what I see so far informally, seems like there are more guy photgraphers than female ones. I'm not talking about those who simply own cameras but those who are serious or enthusiastic in photography, maybe those who own mid-level SLRs up and the f/2.8s.

I am the ugliest guy in Clubsnap :(

See my photo

I don't think there is any different between male and female photographer ... their objective is to capture pictures

Originally posted by megaweb
I am the ugliest guy in Clubsnap :(

See my photo

I don't think there is any different between male and female photographer ... their objective is to capture pictures

a self portrait? :D

Yeah, I agree too, but if only people can think that way. But it's a male instinct I suppose to look at gals and pass judgements. If only guys can see or value a woman's heart more than her looks. then in general, in everything we do, not just photography, does looks really matter when choosing a gf or wife?

Originally posted by Newman

As they say, "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder." :devil: ;p

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
As they say, "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder." :devil: ;p

beauty lies everywhere, it's up to the photographer to hone it so the unwashed masses can see it obviously. :)
as for ugly female photographers, who cares? u gonna date them or what?

hmm.....this is my way of about photography, a good camera doesn't means you are a good photographer, a good photographer will make a good photo even with a simple point and shoot camera. So same goes with this, it can be a male or female to be a photographer so it just does not matter all, just go out and have a great time shooting and enjoy the passion of the hobby in photography.

megaweb..... wah.... u so handsome!
arrgh!!! can i have your autograph! arrghhH!
*faints*

MEDIC!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.