What programs to resize photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Galaa

I normally take photos in 1600x1200 size. But for sending emails, posting on websites as well as storing online, this seems a little too much, both in screen resolution and file size. Therefore I usually resize it to 640x480.
Is there any program which makes resizing a LARGE number of photos easier than photoshop? Or even better if there's a program to batch resize photos(heard that photoshop 7 will have this function).
Anyone?

u can try acdsee or irfanview for resizing your pics :)

I normally use Paint Shop Pro to edit my digital photos (scanned from flat bed).

If you want to resize large batch of photos, there is a trick actually. In Photoshop v6.0, there is a feature call web??? The program can actually resize all your photos into your specified size and make them into a webpage gallery. You can later open up the folder that keeps the files at the resized sized.

Other than Photoshop, there are many programs offer this feature nowaday.

Irfanview

Photoshop also has batch actions that can work on pics stored in a folder.

I recommend Irfanview. Cos it's free! and effectively reduces the file size.
However, can anyone explain why is it that the file size reduce after saving the photo once, even if there isn't any action (ex. re-size or change colour brightness) done on the photo?

Originally posted by lewfs
However, can anyone explain why is it that the file size reduce after saving the photo once, even if there isn't any action (ex. re-size or change colour brightness) done on the photo?

because of jpeg compression. Irfanview works on a preset jpeg compression ratio everytime, without prompting you for it. So if the default quality level of the compression in Irfanview is lower than that of your original picture, the resulting filesize will be smaller.

So to be safe, always "save as" a new file and don't overwrite the original. Also check the irfanview's default compression level first, and change it accordingly.

Originally posted by lewfs

JPEG compression.

Regards
CK

In simplified form, JPEG compression has this coefficient which results in a smaller file but "blurrer" picture if you lower it. More details are lost in the smaller file but for the web, it's fine.

Photoshop use bi-cubic resizing as default, there are better resizing algorithmns out there but they are still not commonly available.

Thanks all for the reply. I just downloaded Infraview. Seems nice. Havent use it yet will try later. Seems easier to use than photoshop's(and other programs) to resize/rename photos.
Thanks again :)

still think photoshop one of the better ones

Status
Not open for further replies.